• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Un-happy Endings

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BringBackUzume

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:42 pm Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
It would be nice if someone from Funimation would tell us something about Hellsing. I know they can't say anything definite but it would be nice if they could give some reassurance that the series will be finished.

It's better not saying anything. If they start making promises now, it'll mean backlash whether things go their way or not. You could argue that Funimation could simply say, "No, we're not getting the last 2 episodes." Then there would be (a)backlash from the fans, and (b) no point in trying to acquire the final 2 episodes.

Or if you take it the other way, Funimation tells us, "Yes, we're getting the last 2 episodes." And the deal falls through, again, they would get backlash from fans.

Simply saying, "we're working on it." is the best answer they can give right now.
ihate4kids

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Well, we had to wait four years for the 5-8 set, so why not wait another four years before we hear anything on the remaining set?
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:24 pm Reply with quote
That is true I did not take file size into consideration. But on the flip side I don't need anime to be in 1080p, even the sharpest looking blu ray anime (and I have stuff from Funi, Sentai, Viz, Aniplex etc) I have is only noticeably better if I literally watch it back to back with a DVD.

I understand the concern of some, and of course I want something in the best format possible, but I won't be nowhere as picky with anime like I am with games and live film. And if the alternative is nothing, then a slighty poorer looking blu ray is still the best possible format (minus maybe an imported version).
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:35 pm Reply with quote
ultimatemegax wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
*snip* Sure Chihayauru got a nice sales boost for the manga, but I really doubt we will ever see any more anime for that title.

Production credits for Chihayafuru for both seasons were:
Nippon Television
VAP

The top producer for the show is a big executive at NTV as well. The anime has nothing to do with Kodansha outside of paying royalties. If he wanted to greenlight more, more would be made.

This is nice to know.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:25 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
That is true I did not take file size into consideration. But on the flip side I don't need anime to be in 1080p, even the sharpest looking blu ray anime (and I have stuff from Funi, Sentai, Viz, Aniplex etc) I have is only noticeably better if I literally watch it back to back with a DVD.
Something must be wrong here. 1080 is 6x the 720*480 of DVD. There is no way that six times the detail should be able to be overlooked, not on a properly connected, high-quality Full HD display with a truly 1080 bluray.

The difference between DVD and bluray is almost as drastic as watching Crunchyroll on an Android device and on an iPad Retina. Sad
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:00 am Reply with quote
^ It also depends on how good your equipment is at upscaling dvds. DVDs looked like crap on my old dvd player (partly because my tv isn't that hot either), but I got a great blu-ray player and while I can tell some difference when I compare the dvd with the blu-ray (like for one of Funi's dual format releases) where details aren't quite as fuzzy, the dvds still look fabulous.

What I'm trying to say (but not very well) is that your "properly connected, high-quality Full HD display with a truly 1080 bluray" qualification probably matters the most in how much difference you can see. Not all dvd and blu-ray players are created equal, and neither are all displays, so ymmv, depending on what you've got to work with.
Stealth00

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:07 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:

Something must be wrong here. 1080 is 6x the 720*480 of DVD. There is no way that six times the detail should be able to be overlooked, not on a properly connected, high-quality Full HD display with a truly 1080 bluray.

The difference between DVD and bluray is almost as drastic as watching Crunchyroll on an Android device and on an iPad Retina. Sad[/quote]

It also depends on the source material, just because it's 1080p native doesn't mean it's going to look spectacular across the board. And then there are the many anime that aren't 1080p native.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:27 am Reply with quote
Can I just say I love this thread? I've had a rough week, so to come in here, see people asking smart, reasonable questions, and then seeing other fans come in and give them the correct answers does my heart good. Makes it all worthwhile.

(snif)
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:04 am Reply with quote
I, too, lament the fact that so many anime never receive a satisfying conclusion, and often find myself wondering if anime has always operated this way. I think it would be interesting to see the year over year average for # of episodes per serialized anime (not including movies or ova's). It would provide a nice little window into the way anime production has evolved over the years, while avoiding the trap of people editorializing their entry years as "the golden time": when all anime ran to its completion and production budgets were free as the buffalo. Anyways....anyone feel like making a spreadsheet?
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:36 am Reply with quote
I have decent equipment. Maybe I used the wrong phrasing. I meant even with a sharper picture the very nature of the medium known as animation really leaves minor room for improvement.

For example, on live action program, the picture is improved to such a degree over non hd, that you can start to see really detailed texture on a persons face, see various blemishes etc. Most anime uses solid colors and is 2d. I don't really care how sharp the outline of the characters becomes, I won't all of a sudden that Madoka has a bunch of pimples and yellowed teeth. With CGI anime, sure there is always room for improvement, but for a lot of anime hd is overkill.

Mind you this is just my personal opinion. And its not like I don't chose blu ray over dvd, just that its not as big of a deal for me.
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:34 am Reply with quote
12 episodes per dual layer Blu-ray is doable, and certainly watchable.

Kaze UK managed to release Code Geass with extras (on S1) on 2 dual layer discs per season. That came out at 13 and 12 episodes per disc, with PCM stereo audio, English and Japanese, and the show was certainly watchable, and it's the rare anime Blu-ray that doesn't get banding, no matter how relaxed the compression.

They also presented Black Lagoon on 4 single layer discs at 6 episodes per disc, again with PCM stereo audio, and for all of Kaze's incompetencies, both of these shows looked and sounded impressive on Blu-ray.

Although I do have to wonder whether it's because they were older shows, probably animated at 540 or thereabouts, and had less detail to lose to compression when scaled up.

They did release another more recent show with a single disc format, Un-Go, but I couldn't watch it, the disc was incompatible with Panasonic Blu-ray players. Khazi incompetency... And with the more recent Magi they've opted for a more generous 2 disc format, splitting the episodes 8-5.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So, 12 episodes of a 24-minute show comes out to 4.8 hours, or 288 minutes. With one audio track (assuming stereo 16-bit uncompressed LPCM), plugging all these numbers into my bitrate calculator, that comes out to a bitrate of about 20 Mbps.
Of course, the true $10,000-headphone-wearing audiophiles will insist on 24-bit, otherwise it's "not really lossless." They wouldn't want to disappoint the dogs and bats they're showing their anime to, after all.
JediSamurai7

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:37 am Reply with quote
Nice explanation about the endings of anime.

I do find myself getting into a series after a 12 episode anime and wanting more...turning to the manga or light novel (if it is a available to find).
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Usually anime isn't made for anime's sake, but for others' sakes. Even if an anime does decent enough, if others don't fall rightly into place, then they won't care what happens to the anime. Ergo a lot of one-and-done.

This is where original IP comes in when the anime is the be-all end-all, but with media business nowadays all about risk-averse branding, not many anime creators are funded to come up with their own good ideas, instead of basing on previous sources that's already proven success among consumers.

Last edited by enurtsol on Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm afraid of this one and done business happening to even massive sellers like Horizon. If they wait much longer, the fervor might die down and the rest of the story will never be adapted.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4