• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America Streams Toradora! English-Dubbed Trailer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Based on the trailer alone I thought Cassandra Lee was alright. I think I could get used to her in the role. Everyone else though sounded off. Still I'd have to see a lot more to determine if the overall performances in the dub evened out and if in the end they ended up decent. I'm not going into this expecting the dub to be great or even equal to the Japanese. I would like it to be better than serviceable, but it may end up being just that.
MonkeysxMoo35

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Only Ami seems to irritate me by a little otherwise it sounds great!
Myaow

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I never thought this show would get an English track! I bet this has made a lot of fans REALLY happy!!

Cassandra Lee has a girlish quality to her voice that allows her to sound really cute without going into phony falsetto like a lot of anime voice actresses do. Her acting isn't always on point, but still, I like listening to her! I hope she'll make a good Taiga!
thomclyma

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Scottzor95 wrote:
So I watch the trailer and thought to myself "Not half bad, sounds like a solid dub with some very fitting voices...it's a shame the internet is going to want NIS America's head for "bastardizing" their anime with the tool of Satan called the "English Dub" despite the fact it's the language they speak". Looked at some of the comments on a few websites and...it's exactly what I thought...seriously guys, got to bitch about everything don't we?

I think that the problem isn't so much that they included dubs as much as they're "replacing" their favorite voices that they know. I can't speak for anyone else, but I've watched the subbed maybe three or four times, so for me personally, the japanese voices ARE the voices and to have someone else delivering the lines feels similar to a remake of a movie franchise you love.

I wasn't personally impressed with the dubs, but...frankly, I don't care. One of my favorite series is finally getting a blu-ray release, something I've been waiting over two years for. Dub or sub, I already pre-ordered!
normajean19

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Besides the fact that there was music playing throughout the whole trailer and I couldn't hear as clearly as I would've liked, it all sounded fine to me for the most part...

The two leads sound like they fit the characters, as long as they're good, that's all that really matters to me. Also, JYB in a supporting role is never a bad thing.

Last edited by normajean19 on Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:33 pm Reply with quote
I hope that was just a quick English track they slapped together for that trailer. I thought the voiced sounded fine, it was more the technical end of things - everything sounded flat and hollow, and I don't think I've seen syncing that bad since the 90's.
EastN3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Scottzor95 wrote:
So I watch the trailer and thought to myself "Not half bad, sounds like a solid dub with some very fitting voices...it's a shame the internet is going to want NIS America's head for "bastardizing" their anime with the tool of Satan called the "English Dub" despite the fact it's the language they speak". Looked at some of the comments on a few websites and...it's exactly what I thought...seriously guys, got to bitch about everything don't we?

I have to agree. Although many have legitimate concerns, the fact that people who inherently hate dubs have to dump on them every time ticks me off. If you don't like it, that's fine, but quit complaining to everyone. If you call them out for it they'll say something like "It's not true that I hate all dubs! I loved Cowboy Bebop's!" Well, like I always say, every racist has his favorite negro.
TG72

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:00 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
Still I'd have to see a lot more to determine if the overall performances in the dub evened out and if in the end they ended up decent.

I'll second that. I try not to put too much stock into the trailers. It usually takes the VAs a while to get into their roles.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Kimerer sounds like he's playing how Ryuuji sees himself and not how the rest of the world sees him. Yeah, he may be a mama's boy who cooks and sews, but he needs to sound like someone that even teachers are scared of.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like a pretty good dub! Taiga's VA is probably my favorite though from the trailer, and that is saying something since she's such a huge part of the series. I might check it out dubbed some day.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Scottzor95 wrote:

Are you surprised?

Anyway, I'm both surprised and pleased to see this getting a dub. It was a rather pleasant surprise to see the ads for this the first thing when I went to ANN today.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:10 pm Reply with quote
So I'd love to know what someone who's never seen or read Toradora! thinks of this trailer. It seems like it's serving a lot of masters — trying to quickly establish Ryuji & Taiga's personalities, show how they reach their deal, and then get in some Minori, Kitamura (barely), and Ami (who doesn't even appear until episode 6 or so but is a great character, or at least becomes one).

I like the series a lot and this trailer seemed like it was scratching all my fan itches (they throw in the lamppost scene because it's arguably the most iconic scene in the whole series), but I wonder what a newcomer would think of this trailer. Does it make you want to get into Toradora!? Does it even make sense?
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Sounds great I would get this if I had the green
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm sort of happy now that I never got around to buying the previous edition. Now I can get this Anime smallmouth
Divineking

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:34 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
So I'd love to know what someone who's never seen or read Toradora! thinks of this trailer. It seems like it's serving a lot of masters — trying to quickly establish Ryuji & Taiga's personalities, show how they reach their deal, and then get in some Minori, Kitamura (barely), and Ami (who doesn't even appear until episode 6 or so but is a great character, or at least becomes one).

I like the series a lot and this trailer seemed like it was scratching all my fan itches (they throw in the lamppost scene because it's arguably the most iconic scene in the whole series), but I wonder what a newcomer would think of this trailer. Does it make you want to get into Toradora!? Does it even make sense?

I haven't seen the series before (been meaning too) but this sounded pretty solid to me. Erik Kimerer doesn't sound too gruff for what I'm guessing is supposed to be a tough guy but I think he can work it and everyone else sounds pretty good. Especially Cassandra Morris but then I have a personal vendetta against Rie Kugimiya in tsundere roles (and I do know at least that much about the show) that almost anything else will sound instinctively better in comparison to me so I may not be the best judge on that one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5