• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kanojo ga Flag wo Oraretara (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:49 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

Damn, why was I finding the spoiler[trap date] the best? And what about that childhood memory of spoiler[a peeing contest]?

Surprisingly the obvious main heroine spoiler[deciding to stay behind did not get super depressed like the norm, although she did seem to get bored]. I think that it walks a fine line between following the cliché and lightly subverting it. Like the heroine does seem to be a tsundere and princess like, but it is not like she is coming across like the usual head over hills for him and can't spit it out, seems she mostly wants to be his friend. Refreshing, although it can change.

There is some funny in just how obviously forced into the harem route this show can be.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:40 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

Gao! Gao!

That revelation was odd, specifically the other spoiler[world where their teacher was in his position], with him apparently spoiler[being her grandfather]. Rather shocking too, not expecting all spoiler[those scenes of characters dead if he did not act].

And at this point Megumu is feeling like a Schrodinger trap, starting to wonder if there is something like he spoiler[swaps with his sister, his sister is another personality], or something else entirely.

Mei spoiler[lost some of her mysterious character which she had going], actually not sure what type she is supposed to be.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:58 pm Reply with quote
This has been one of the better harem shows. Im wondering how he will spoiler[get rid of the death flag and what he unlocked by mentioning the code from Sakura, from the past.]
TarutoClown93

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 6:23 am Reply with quote
When I first saw it being announced, I was turned on by the premise and Cuteg's designs. The anime counterpart of the visuals are terrible and it was one of the few weakness points I have with the show. The story is a bit boring at first, but I eventually enjoy more and more as it goes on. Glad to see being one of the few actually good harems airing in the era where CGDCT and fujoshi-based stuff dominates. The characters are also likeable and the flag stuff is interesting though not focused as much. I wanted to see how it ends since the last episode was heavy on twists.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:36 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

The episode perfectly highlighted why I have been finding this so much more entertaining to Nisekoi, they just have fun here, not even a spoiler[stuck in an outdoor bath] brought it down. Sota actually allowing himself to be pampered, the characters trying to fit the spoiler[rules of a high class dinner], and Mei seems to have been repurposed as a tsundere. Chuck in a spoiler[pillow fight] which has to happen by tropes, but we don't really need to see it, and put in a spoiler[body pillow] of Sota because that is silly.

Nanami's sister is apparently spoiler[the berserker], the contrast is quite funny. spoiler[Mini Nendoroid Ruri] was funny as it knew exactly what they were doing, and everyone's observation that the bra was large. And Ruri doing the spoiler[sister] speech before the spoiler[assassin just stepping over her] was comic genius. And even the preview, totally make fun of tropes.

How is this not getting any attention forum wise? Well I guess often it is a little mediocre, but there are some pretty nice ideas here that feel really refreshing.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:12 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
How is this not getting any attention forum wise?

It does seem strange, since it is a harem show. I guess people would rather admire SHAFT's visuals in Nisekoi or ogle nipples in Dragonar Academy rather than watch a show which is actually fun.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:37 am Reply with quote
I am watching this, but I really don't know what to say about it. while it may be turning every romcom and harem trope that ever existed into a joke, much like Outbreak Company, I don't know if it's funny, or just dumb. Half these girls annoy the hell out of me, especially Akane. Ai Kayano is pushing her voice to range I'm having trouble tolerating. I'd like the show to focus more on this secret that keeps getting mentioned every episode, rather than harem building, and each haremette playing out their specific character type in the ground
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:52 am Reply with quote
^That

While the show does make fun of the common harem tropes it's mostly fun........and just that. The story is somewhat interesting but not really something that I'd take very seriously or find compelling.

When it comes to comedy shows people don't really like just pointing out "LOL THAT WAS FUNNY" all the time because that doesn't lead to any meaningful discussions. No Game, No Life is also in the same boat because the show is for most part still mindless over the top fun (though i give it credit for being logically sound at times).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:29 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

Megumu stole the show again, he rocks that spoiler[wedding dress].

Was that spoiler[heavy burden] flag what I thought it was?

And spoiler[real older sibling] alert, they may be able to help him.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:24 am Reply with quote
I'm watching, I'm liking. High energy animation, good character designs, great performances, there's a lot here to like.

But it's all for more of an idea rather than a plot; It's a harem comedy for the sake of being a harem comedy and it makes a show like Shuffle! seem high concept, even if that concept was "In this world of devils and gods, who would you choose?"
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:16 am Reply with quote
The show really reminds me of Heaven's Lost Property. There's a plot, but it's delivered in such infuriatingly fragmented and obtuse pieces, and by the time the next piece of the puzzle shows up, you've already forgotten the last one, making putting it together a pain. In the case of Heaven's Lost Property, I eventually came to see that as the point, but for this show, it's just frustrating. Because it works, and I'm way more interested in it than I should be.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:09 pm Reply with quote
One thing that's bugging me is the whole deal with people harping on Souta for surviving the boat accident. That part doesn't make sense to me. At what point should he be labeled a killer or would it make sense for people to openly wish for his death?

That's kind of stupidly forced if you ask me. Unless I'm missing something or they plan to elaborate on it later I don't see why such a thing would be a reasonable reaction.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:25 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Was that spoiler[heavy burden] flag what I thought it was?

On the flag's picture the twin-tailed girl is sitting on the boy, but it totally looks like she's mounting and riding him.

leatherhead333 wrote:
One thing that's bugging me is the whole deal with people harping on Souta for surviving the boat accident. That part doesn't make sense to me. At what point should he be labeled a killer or would it make sense for people to openly wish for his death?

That's kind of stupidly forced if you ask me. Unless I'm missing something or they plan to elaborate on it later I don't see why such a thing would be a reasonable reaction.

This bothered me too. We were finally given some explanation this episode. Apparently his death flag was causing people to hate him in order so that he would be more likely to die. However, it is a fairly weak justification and doesn't sit right with me.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10

That was actually a pretty good cliché spoiler[school festival, with beauty contest including swimsuit portion]. A lot of the fun coming from the show not only knowing it is cliché, but spoiler[Souta was totally sighing over having to be involved in it]. It really skipped past the spoiler[contest revolving around Souta because it is his harem], and full on transparently madespoiler[ it all about him]. His face during the spoiler[wet t-shirt swimsuit competition where he has to wet the t-shirts] was awesome.

Extra points for purposely transparent innuendo that was kind of making fun of it despite doing it, kind of keeping it fun without actually getting too pervy though. Also that their class is apparently doing a "spoiler[Yakisoba Ghost House Maid Café]", and Megumu super cute. Although the episode also felt like it had a bunch of times where it avoided cutting away to certain animation so imagination was needed, felt a bit cheap compared to what they have done so far.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:13 pm Reply with quote
That girl with the big bow in the ED has finally showed up. I've been wondering when she was going to show up.

DuskyPredator wrote:
Extra points for purposely transparent innuendo that was kind of making fun of it despite doing it, kind of keeping it fun without actually getting too pervy though.

Souta's face coupled with the girls' reactions was the best thing about that scene.

spoiler["You're getting me too wet."
"I wouldn't mind Souta getting me that wet."
And all the while Souta is obviously wishing that he was somewhere else entirely.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3