• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Characters you think are overrated?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Morisummer500 wrote:
Naruto, of course, and Akane Tendo from Ramna 1/2- I always liked Shampoo much better, I think Ramna should dump her for Shampoo and let Ryoga have Akane, they seem a better match anyway

YES. YES. YES. YES.

and Kodachi's so annoying you want to actually physically hurt her lol

Quote:
As for Chi from Chobits, yes, she develops somehow, but still she is at best cute in that way small children can be cute. And even small children have more personality than her. My almost two years old niece definitely shows more of it than Chi.

You win the thread. Anime hyper I really couldn't agree more. I can't stand Chi for this EXACT reason.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:58 pm Reply with quote
^ From someone who likes Chi, I do admit that I see why you don't like her. The answer is simple to me; while Chi does have a decent character arc and is certainly an atypical magical girlfriend, she is also a very STEREOTYPICAL robot girl. She's cute and genuinely innocent, but at the same time, she's gone through the motions of the "robot gains emotions" arc we've seen over and over again. I actually like Hideki a lot more because unlike most other harem leads, he actually has to learn that women aren't objects and to stop treating Chi like a computer. Go Crispin Freeman.
RadarJay

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:25 am Reply with quote
Lite from Death Note... and his stupid ass haircut...Bleh. Talk about your typical boring "BADARSE" sociopath... He just doesn't seem to have a lot of dimension aside from being charismatic and EVUL. I DID, however, find his relationship as a foil to L to be a huge saving grace, and the events surrounding the Kira phenomenon entirely more fascinating.
Edit: alright, maybe I hyperbalized a bit. I certainly appreciate the role of Lite's character and what it does for the story. I'm just sick of people mentioning him as some pinical of exellent and unique characterization, or even totally misinterpreting his character all together.
dlm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:01 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
The reason I pick on Taiga is because she's a clichéd character. What about her makes her any different from other Tsunderes? Does she actually wait for an explanation before she kicks the crap out of the protagonist?

Taiga was not really a tsundere. She kicked the crap out of people, true, because she had a lot of personality issues, but never to her love interest.

Ryuuji was not her love interest.[/spoiler]
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:32 pm Reply with quote
dlm wrote:
Taiga was not really a tsundere. She kicked the crap out of people, true, because she had a lot of personality issues, but never to her love interest.

Ryuuji was not her love interest.

The show we are talking about is Toradora. I don't know which one you are talking about, sir. Laughing
dlm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:15 pm Reply with quote
In the show I watched, Ryuuji was Taiga's next door neighbor and they tolerated each other (barely) because Ryuuji was friends with Taiga's love interest and vice-versa. And Ryuuji started cleaning her house because he is a neat freak and she's the opposite, and she started hanging out at his house because she lived alone and he had a somewhat eccentric (but still THERE) family.

And then, as they say, hijinks ensued.

It wasn't until something like 20 episodes in when Taiga had a kind of "oh crap" moment...
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Regardless, if you say things like "Taiga's not a tsundere" or "Ryuuji is not Taiga's love interest", everyone here is going to laugh in your face.

Kitamura was only Taiga's "unrequited crush".
An unrequited crush is not the same as a love interest. Ryuuji was her true love interest and unless it was your first time watching a love comedy, you knew they were going to be together from the moment they met.

Last edited by Chiibi on Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
A Mystery

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:30 pm Reply with quote
If you rewatch the series, you'll find that they become friends pretty soon (as early as the second episode) and that their bond grows stronger throughout the series. 'Tolerating each other' is not the vibe I got if I looked past Taiga's tough exterior, especially not from Ryuuji who did everything he could for Taiga. He spoiler[sew those breast pad thingies in the middle of the night] for the swim episode and understood her spoiler[pain during the lantern kicking scene] in the second episode, just to name some examples. Taiga does apologize to Ryuuji whenever she crosses the line.
The 'oh crap' moment stems from realizing that tspoiler[hey were very good friends and thus also possibly better suited for each other] than the infatuations they initially had with spoiler[Minori an Kitamura].
jomy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:43 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Uh, ok, right, something on topic: Characters I think are overrated.

Vegeta? I like Vegeta, the prince of a race of people who's primarily genetic traits are "violent" and "evil". No, the one I don't get from Dragon Ball is Goku, the manchild alien of the same "eviolent" race, father of two when he feels like it who's the supposed paragon of, not good, righteousness who has no problems in letting evil go as long as he gets a good fight out of it {in the Cell story, Goku would have done the same stupid thing as Vegeta. Good thing Toriyama worked around it, huh?} Our hero, how nice.

Gokuu is not supposed to be a hero, that's pretty much what the entire Majin Buu arc is about. Gokuu doesn't want people to depend on him and him alone. He has his own sense of right and wrong and acts instinctively, whether it's a wise decision or not. Just take spoiler[the first time Krilin dies] as an example. Gokuu is tired from a long fight and starved, but he's so enraged that he takes off after the enemy on his own in spite of people trying to stop him. He doesn't win that fight either. He doesn't expect people to look up to him, he really just does what he pleases. His power growth isn't motivated by a wish to save the world, but by a desire to defeat his enemies and protect his friends and family. No one could call him perfect in any respect: he is often naive and tends to make decisions that boggle his friends' minds. However, they respect his decisions because he has a history of always coming through in the end. Gokuu isn't aiming to be the perfect father either. In the first place, he's still a kid himself at heart. However, from early on, it's obvious that he wants to instill a sense of right and wrong and self-worth in Gohan. Piccolo did the same for Gohan. As a result, Gohan is able to grow stronger despite his emotional block. It doesn't matter whether Gokuu is an ideal father, it only matters that his family respect and love him, and they do.[/quote]

Raftina wrote:
Kiritsugu Emiya, Fate/Zero. I dislike characters that are idealists who are presented as cynics. His conversation with Saber--by proxy of Irisviel--at the end of episode 16 reveals what he really is: A childish man who has adopted a simplistic worldview in reaction to admittedly horrible experiences, not the practical minded man he pretends to be.

Funny you should say that, since he strikes me as the only character with an actually interesting history and character development. I found the others to be rather bland.

As far as my own list of overrated characters, I'll definitely be repeating a few already mentioned, and those are the only ones I can really think of right off the bat:

Suzumiya Haruhi: Loud, obnoxious, selfish, not that smart. I only watched a few episodes because our local anime club aired them, and it became so annoying that I found reasons to step outside the room until the better series followed.

Akane, from Ranma: Brash, loud, reacts overly violently. I never did watch the whole series because within a few episodes, I was already sick of her.

Android 18, from Dragon Ball: I don't really get what's so special about her other than that she's pretty and a good fighter? She's standoffish, aggressive, relatively selfish, kinda petty and bossy.

Asuna, from SAO: I don't really get what Kirito sees in her? So what if she's a strong fighter? Doesn't stop her from acting bitchy and high and mighty a lot of the time. When she's not acting like that, she magically turns into a damsel in distress.

As for characters I actually strongly admire:

Nasuti Yagyuu & Naria from Yoroiden Samurai Troopers: Nasuti is an intelligent, capable woman who helps the troopers and learns from her mistakes. After she's taken hostage a few times, she learns to stay out of the way. She takes care of Jun and keeps him out of trouble too. Most importantly, as the information provider, she is the reason why the series can even progress past episode 2. Naria is a young woman from an African tribe whose fiance Mukara suddenly changes drastically. Aside from helping the troopers, she openly opposes Mukara and the rest of their tribe, unafraid of the consequences of her actions. She jumps into danger when she feels she needs to stop a dangerous battle, nearly dying in the process and bringing Mukara to his senses.

Maya, Canon and Sakura, from Fafner: All three girls are strong pilots who aren't afraid of facing danger and even help the two main characters communicate with one another more openly, especially Maya.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:14 am Reply with quote
I say Kirito from SAO is overrated as well. Kirito is such a bland character. He's basically the kind of hero protagonist you find in every other show. I honestly can't think of anything that makes Kirito stand out from dozens of other hero type characters. Same with Kamina from TTGL. Kamina is a character type you see in a lot of super robot shows from the 80's and 90's, so I didn't find his character to be anything special. Maybe its a generational thing, since people who don't watch old mecha shows seem to be more impressed.

Touma wrote:
Chiibi wrote:
I don't really get why Rei and Asuka are so popular. I don't hate them or anything...just don't really get it.

It's the hentai doujinshi. Seriously. Maybe.Very Happy

It's probably a combination of their distinct "90's" look, Asuka being an "early" tsundere, and Rei being "early" moe and waifu material. Besides, Gainax/Khara, Anno, or whoever owns the merchandising rights have been selling stuff for so long, its no surprise that everyone recognizes Rei and Asuka.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:54 am Reply with quote
This thread should be re-named "hipsters unite: bash or defend your favorite/least favorite mainstream series thread"....

On that note...

Morisummer500 wrote:
Naruto, of course, and Akane Tendo from Ramna 1/2- I always liked Shampoo much better, I think Ramna should dump her for Shampoo and let Ryogi have Akane, they seem a better match anyway, if Ramna doesn't want to fight Mousse for Shampoo, then Ukyo is pretty hot too!

Really? The guy that molests his crush through the guise of a harmless household pet is a match for her?

I'll never understand why anyone sees any real pairing in the series outside of ranma and akane. Everyone else treats both of them like obsessive stalkers rather than love struck suitors.

I certainly see why people would dislike ranma or akane as individuals, but as a duo they're a pretty good one. They're like that middle aged married couple that deepens their relationship through intense arguing, though to everyone on the outside it appears they hate each other.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:29 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
To be a Mary Sue requires lots of things. There needs to be some degree of self-insertion and wish-fulfillment. There needs to be some sort of creator favoritism. They have to have no personality beyond what I just mentioned.

So....like Kirito from SAO, then? Razz

(Just kidding, he's a good character, but how many secret items/techniques does he HAVE??)

Honestly? His calling card has always been wielding two weapons at once. Outside of that, he's not all that impressive.

I'd like to nominate the entire cast of Dragonball Z. I've seen less predictable NES games with more variety and characterization.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Lol, I can't STAND most of the DBZ cast. Goku especially; he's bland, a glutton, and an idiot.

Thank God for the Abridged series. THAT'S how you watch DBZ. Laughing

Quote:
I honestly can't think of anything that makes Kirito stand out from dozens of other hero type characters.

Well, Kirito is definitely more intelligent and perceptive than a lot of heroes, yet he's not arrogant about it....he's also not afraid to show his emotions (actually he's kind of a crybaby) and when he snaps, he's seriously dangerous to be around; like he can't even control his actions. He has a savior complex too and angsts a lot over things that aren't his fault. Without his friends/girlfriend, he turns into an anti-social ball of angst.

I can't think of many heroes like that....the closest is maybe Kenshin and that's quite a stretch; he's a good deal stronger, emotionally.

Quote:
Same with Kamina from TTGL. Kamina is a character type you see in a lot of super robot shows from the 80's and 90's, so I didn't find his character to be anything special. Maybe its a generational thing, since people who don't watch old mecha shows seem to be more impressed.

The oldest mecha show I've seen......is probably Gundam....something.....and I've seen other 90s ones but Kamina has this.....amazing passion that I definitely haven't seen in anyone else. I think that's why so many people like him.

Quote:
Asuna, from SAO: I don't really get what Kirito sees in her? So what if she's a strong fighter? Doesn't stop her from acting bitchy and high and mighty a lot of the time. When she's not acting like that, she magically turns into a damsel in distress.

Um....did you only watch five episodes or something? Because that really isn't true. Asuna is Kirito's source of comfort, security, and motivation. She provides the emotional reassurance he so desperately needs. And she is sweet! She cuddles with him in bed, she's always hugging him and protecting him and supporting him. She doesn't act like she's better (like "high and mighty") than him and when she's in trouble she at least tries to get out of it by herself. If you're talking about ALO, she was powerless because the GM made her powerless. Regardless of that, she tried to escape him. Twice.

It's fine if you think she's overrated but don't say false things about her character.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:39 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Well, Kirito is definitely more intelligent and perceptive than a lot of heroes, yet he's not arrogant about it....he's also not afraid to show his emotions (actually he's kind of a crybaby) and when he snaps, he's seriously dangerous to be around; like he can't even control his actions. He has a savior complex too and angsts a lot over things that aren't his fault. Without his friends/girlfriend, he turns into an anti-social ball of angst.

I can't think of many heroes like that....the closest is maybe Kenshin and that's quite a stretch; he's a good deal stronger, emotionally.

Those are some great observations, but for some reason, as I'm watching SAO its not standing out to me as much. Maybe it has to do with Kirito being somewhat of a "gary stu" type character. I feel as if Kirito can handle any situation he runs into, both in terms of relationships and fighting. So it's like he's never in any real danger. Even in the fights where he's on the brink of death, you sorta know he's going to come back. I guess because I don't feel that tension, a lot of his characters nuances don't stand out as much. But thats just me.

Chiibi wrote:
The oldest mecha show I've seen......is probably Gundam....something.....and I've seen other 90s ones but Kamina has this.....amazing passion that I definitely haven't seen in anyone else. I think that's why so many people like him.

I've only seen a handful of 90s mecha shows as well, but when I think of passionate mecha show characters, I immediately think Van from Escaflowne, Domon from G Gundam, or to a lesser extent, Daisaku from Giant Robo. Domon and Van especially, are both determined, hot blooded hero types that yell a lot. For that reason, I didn't find Kamina anything special.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:43 am Reply with quote
There should be a worldwide ban on "gary stu." It seems nobody understands how to apply it properly, and it just becomes a go-to protagonist criticism for whatever show you don't like.

The nature of protagonists is that they advance the story. Being put off by the fact the protagonist in any story succeeds more often than not is just mind-boggling, because if you criticize one you pretty much have to criticize them all.

You could call Luffy from one Piece a gary stu. Even when he's in trouble (and he's been on the verge of death many times) I know he's got a 0% chance of dying, because he's Luffy, and Luffy needs to live on for the story to continue. And so, miracles keep falling out of the sky to keep him alive. Same goes for Naruto, Ichigo, Kenshin, or any of the other 10,000 protagonists in every anime ever. Does anyone ever believe any of them are in real mortal danger? Of course not.

Yeah, occasionally they die for good, but that's always at the end when the story is about to wrap up anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10