• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon Suppresses Yen Press Titles in Dispute with Hachette

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 3:01 am Reply with quote
Because of course if people discover the book they want is unobtainable in that place they'll buy a different one rather than looking for and buying it elsewhere Rolling Eyes
mgosdin

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:51 am Reply with quote
That this has made a headline is bad for Amazon and Hatchette / Yen Press. It's the sort of "Dirty Laundry" that businesses really really don't want aired.

What Amazon has done is not illegal or immoral, but it can be classed as plain old fashioned stupid. I'm a Prime member and I will let them know that they aren't doing themselves any favors.

This is why I split my buying between Onlne Amazon & RightStuf and Physical at Barnes & Noble & Books-a-Million.

Mark Gosdin
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:40 am Reply with quote
I never heard of a business doing such a thing before. I am not an expert on business but I am pretty sure that is not how one is suppose to handle an issue such as this. I feel sorry for Hatchette as well as the people who bought those items from them that are going through this right now. This, along with reading everyone else comments is making me reconsider of relying on Amazon too much for buying manga, or anything for that matter. I guess I would try rightstuf as that seems to be favor over here. I would also reconsider ordering from either the Books a Million or Barnes and Noble websites.

Of course I would still buy from Amazon, but it won't be the first site I would visit anymore (at least until whoever is in charge change his/her/their ways).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
誤称

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:56 am Reply with quote
Its nice to see everyone paint Amazon as the evil one here. Let's not forget that Yen Press and Hachette are spearheading the rise in manga prices. $13 for a manga that used to be $7 is typical for their titles. Amazon wants to discount their product and they refuse so Amazon says "fine, we'll order less from you. Good luck!" This is perfectly fine. Hachette and Yen Press can cut their own throats if they wish, but Amazon's their biggest outlet and if they piss them off its their own damn fault.
partially

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:03 am Reply with quote
tangytangerine wrote:
So essentially Amazon thinks that they should be getting a better deal than what they had? They really are becoming the Wal-Mart of online stores if that's their way of negotiating.

To my understanding a lot of the disputes over ebooks is from Amazon trying to sell ebooks cheaper, not over getting a better deal per se. Which is something I can entirely get behind. The pricing from traditional publishers for ebooks is too frequently ridiculous. And I am all for Amazon using some heavy-handed tactics to do so.

Apple used similar tactics with digital music or did you prefer paying stupid prices for them?
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:52 am Reply with quote
誤称 wrote:
Its nice to see everyone paint Amazon as the evil one here. [...] Amazon wants to discount their product and they refuse so Amazon says "fine, we'll order less from you. Good luck!"
This isn't even remotely what's going on. Amazon's throwing a hissy fit, deliberately injuring any consumers who trusted them enough to buy from them in the process. So yes, Amazon is the one in the wrong.
Quote:
Let's not forget that Yen Press and Hachette are spearheading the rise in manga prices. $13 for a manga that used to be $7 is typical for their titles.
That's got nothing to do with this; Amazon isn't fighting for the consumer anymore than they were when they wanted everybody to have to charge sales tax everywhere like they did.
Quote:
This is perfectly fine. Hachette and Yen Press can cut their own throats if they wish, but Amazon's their biggest outlet and if they piss them off its their own damn fault.
And you know who their biggest outlet how? And even if it is, that they're slitting their own throats depends entirely on how many people will look elsewhere; Amazon might end up hurting itself more than Hachette in the end.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:54 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Yet another reason for me to do my anime/manga related purchasing through Right Stuf.

Indeed. I've been a big follower of Amazon's for other book and DVD/BD titles, but have always tried to buy thru RS since they're a smaller company.

This is just ridiculous and petty. If you have a dispute with someone, don't throw a fit and toss their stuff off a balcony. Find a way to compromise. Evil or Very Mad
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:58 am Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:
Rightstuf is my main and I only go to Amazon if there's any OoP manga/anime.

In general used book dealers that sell through Amazon tend to have higher prices. I use Bookfinder which aggregates seller info from multiple sources, including Amazon.

http://www.bookfinder.com
TheSeventhSense

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:08 am Reply with quote
誤称 wrote:
Let's not forget that Yen Press and Hachette are spearheading the rise in manga prices. $13 for a manga that used to be $7 is typical for their titles.

Don't blame them, blame the economy. With import prices and sales tax, selling a manga for $7.99 nowadays would be suicide. Heck, I'm surprised Viz has kept their regular price at $9.99 for so long, and I think they're experimenting with raising the price a bit with their "Signature" line.
誤称

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:28 am Reply with quote
TheSeventhSense wrote:
誤称 wrote:

Don't blame them, blame the economy. With import prices and sales tax, selling a manga for $7.99 nowadays would be suicide. Heck, I'm surprised Viz has kept their regular price at $9.99 for so long, and I think they're experimenting with raising the price a bit with their "Signature" line.

Right, this is why manga in Japan costs half of what it does here.

It isn't the economy doubling costs, the correct answer would be greed.
overlordrae

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:39 am Reply with quote
I remember when Amazon did that to Macmillian. And a few incidents regarding de-ranking LGBT novels and removing BL manga from Kindle due to their adult content rule, regardless of actual content but leaving up hentai.

Amazon just slaps publishing companies around until they do what they want. This isn't 'negotiation'.

(Also, $13 a manga sucks but I used to buy flipped manga for $17+ back in the day, so I guess I'll just have to get used to it again. Anime dazed)
AilisKnil

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:18 am Reply with quote
誤称 wrote:
TheSeventhSense wrote:
誤称 wrote:

Right, this is why manga in Japan costs half of what it does here.

It isn't the economy doubling costs, the correct answer would be greed.

There's also a much bigger market for manga in Japan. Look at manga prices just about anywhere else and they'll be significantly greater.
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:20 am Reply with quote
And Japan doesn't have to pay for people to translate, retouch and reletter it. As the previous poster mentioned, economies of scale help make manga much cheaper in Japan. Attack on Titan was recently announced as having ~660,000 copies of all the volumes in circulation in the US. Each individual volume in Japan has sold well over a million copies. It's a different scale entirely.
誤称

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:57 am Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
And Japan doesn't have to pay for people to translate, retouch and reletter it. As the previous poster mentioned, economies of scale help make manga much cheaper in Japan. Attack on Titan was recently announced as having ~660,000 copies of all the volumes in circulation in the US. Each individual volume in Japan has sold well over a million copies. It's a different scale entirely.

For those costs, the NA translators are removed from the costs of the original mangaka, his/her assistants, and associated costs of the original creation. Adaptation costs are likely significantly cheaper than those involved in the original creation of the work. Certainly there is a difference in scale, but there is far less overhead than the simple adaptation of the original work would incur. Also the NA companies do not have as high of promotional costs, do not provide perks like mail in contests, character rankings, and other marketing campaigns. The costs NA companies do incur are not likely of such great scope that it would legitimately cost twice as much to prepare the work for market and require a like increase in pricing.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 1:22 pm Reply with quote
It has to be a bummer for Hachette's acutal long form titles. In general rightstuf is slightly cheaper on manga titles anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4