• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online II (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:42 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Quote:

15 Degrees C is 59 Degrees Fahrenheit, which is quite warm.

For outside it's not terrible, but inside I'd never want it below 65F, and anything below 70F is "bundle up" conditions.

You must be pretty cold sensitive. I normally keep my house at 65 or below when possible (it's 60 at the moment).

But regardless of personal preferences, you wouldn't normally be able to see your breath until it's around 45° F or below (depending on room humidity).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:24 am Reply with quote
15C would be pretty cold for me, but it is not really that dangerous. On an unrelated note today has been pretty hot for me, a warm 40C (104F), all these recent shows with supposed cold temperature anime has been hard to sympathise with. Not even summer yet.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:09 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Ohoni wrote:
Quote:

For outside it's not terrible, but inside I'd never want it below 65F, and anything below 70F is "bundle up" conditions.

You must be pretty cold sensitive. I normally keep my house at 65 or below when possible (it's 60 at the moment).

59F is not quite warm. 80F would be quite warm. 90F would be hot.

Keep in mind that 32F is literally freezing temperature. I wouldn't call 59 or 60 "cold", but it's certainly not "warm." It's more like "cool," which some people might enjoy, but a lot don't. Remember that "room temperature" is defined as approximately 70 degrees F. That's the temperature which is considered by scientists as neither hot nor cold.

I think the show was exaggerating to have Asuna's breath visible at 59 F, but I think it was fine for them to be saying that that is a cool temperature because it is.

I assume it was done for purposes of further establishing the environment she is living in. Her relationship with her mom is cool at best (though it's probably more icy really). I felt no warmth whatsoever in her family life. Showing her literally waking up in a cool house was an attempt to use atmospherics to enhance our viewing experience.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Where I live in the UK, we consider 15 Degrees C to be 'beach' weather. I was in a t-shirt and shorts at 10 Degrees C yesterday. We have such a damp, cold climate most of the year that we've adapted to it and therefore it would be cool/warm to me. (That's not saying you're wrong at all)

I guess it just depends on where you live and the climate. But Asuna definitely shouldn't be exhaling visible breath at 15 Degrees C, if we go by the UK's climate.

Anyway, if the temperature is all we can argue about then SAO must be doing something right. Wink
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Shikiari wrote:
Where I live in the UK, we consider 15 Degrees C to be 'beach' weather. I was in a t-shirt and shorts at 10 Degrees C yesterday. We have such a damp, cold climate most of the year that we've adapted to it and therefore it would be cool/warm to me. (That's not saying you're wrong at all)

Certainly, there is some relativity involved in people deciding what's "warm" to them, and can vary from time to time during the year. For example, last year our temperature went to -20 F (-28 C). I traveled to a neighboring state and the temperature was 15 F (-9 C), and I wanted to take off a layer of clothes because I became too warm. However, I would certainly never call 15 F "warm" temperature. ;0 So yea, at that time 59 F would have been great, but I still wouldn't call it "warm" in the abstract.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You must be pretty cold sensitive.

UH NO. Ohoni is right on.

Anyone who keeps their house temp below 70 F is crazy, imho. 70 is like the perfect temperature. Why put it lower than that!?

No wonder why Asuna dislikes her family. I'd dislike them too. They don't care about her feelings at all. Screw them. Asuna can just elope with Kirito to a far away land somewhere.
I can completely picture her doing that too.

Quote:
The mom part was overdone I think.

Not at all. There are very strict parents in Japan (and other Asian countries) who try to control absolutely every step their child takes. Especially the richer families. Honor is everything.
It's a bit sad, really.

Yuuki looks like a fun and cute character though.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Not at all. There are very strict parents in Japan (and other Asian countries) who try to control absolutely every step their child takes. Especially the richer families. Honor is everything.
It's a bit sad, really.

I'd say in this case it's probably more "I want my daughter to have the advantages I didn't so she'll be happy" than for the family's honour.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

Quote:
The mom part was overdone I think.

It's a bit sad, really.

Yuuki looks like a fun and cute character though.

Japan is Japan, but I have seen this happen in Europe to a few of my friends, so it is not only limited to Asian countries. Strict, manipulative and money/power-obsessed parents are not limited to one culture.
I quite liked Asuna to point to her mother her own humble origins.

In Japan though the schooling system seems to be quite different though, I remember a friend of mine told me how important it is to go to an excellent primary school to make it to an excellent secondary school to make it to a good university, as there are so many colleges and private universities of which a diploma is worthless. Make it to Tokyo University, and you have a job in your pocket. So in a way I would understand why parents would push their children to a good prep school. Shame that Asuna's parents do not trully have her happiness and career in mind, but their own image.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm not so willing to write Asuna's mom off. I think she does have Asuna's happiness in mind, she just has a longer view of it. She sees Asuna getting the best possible education, with the best possible credentials, and a marriage with the best possible cashflow, and to her that is stability and the basis for happiness. Would that make Asuna happy? Not likely, but it's not a matter of her mother not wanting her to be happy, it's a matter of her mother not really trusting that Asuna knows what would make herself happy, and there's some logic to that. Teenagers are particularly bad at planning out the best moves to make to lead to their long term happiness, and while we viewers are "all in" on "Asuto," I can totally understand why her mother would be skeptical.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Ohoni wrote:
Quote:

I'm definitely not cold-sensitive, but I find keeping a house at only 60º F to be ridiculously cool for an indoors temperature. Around this time of the year I normally set the heat at 67º during the day and a bit lower overnight.

On another note, in education circles in the States we call parents like Asuna's mother "helicopter parents" because they're always hovering around trying to monitor everything their kids are doing and push for any advantage they can get. While the peculiarities of Japan's education system may encourage it more, you definitely see it going on some in wealthier families of any race around these parts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:06 pm Reply with quote
If I'm comfortable at 65, I'm not uncomfortable enough to bother turning the heat on when it's only 60. I just put on a sweater and go about my business. 70 is too warm unless I'm vegetating naked or something (so I think in the Nerve gear, in shorts, like Asuna was, she would be shivering unless it provides some sort of thermoregulation), although, since I don't have a/c, it's actually a luxury to get it down to that most of the year.

But my main point, after acknowledging personal preferences, was just that 59° F isn't cold enough to see your breath.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:07 pm Reply with quote
I didn't realize that so many anime fans were yetis...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Apparently I'm the only one. Or just the only one who moves around in my house instead of sitting static for hours in front of a screen generating no body heat. Smile
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Quote:
You must be pretty cold sensitive.

UH NO. Ohoni is right on.

Anyone who keeps their house temp below 70 F is crazy, imho. 70 is like the perfect temperature. Why put it lower than that!?

No wonder why Asuna dislikes her family. I'd dislike them too. They don't care about her feelings at all. Screw them. Asuna can just elope with Kirito to a far away land somewhere.
I can completely picture her doing that too.

Well I guess I am crazy then. To me 65 F is the perfect temp. Once it gets higher it gets stuffy. Plus it costs more on the heating bill.

Yttrbio wrote:
I didn't realize that so many anime fans were yetis...

My heritage is men who wear skirts with no underwear in cold, damp, and wet weather year round. We have our own natural layer of insulation so we prefer it a bit more cool.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:13 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Apparently I'm the only one. Or just the only one who moves around in my house instead of sitting static for hours in front of a screen generating no body heat. Smile

For some of us, the latter is actually our main job. (Although I do walk around a lot while thinking about how to compose correspondence.) And while I know a couple of people who keep their homes at 65º, keeping them as low as 60º is pretty rare in my observation.

Hmmm, maybe I'll survey my students about that in the pre-class morning chat. . .

But yeah, personal preferences aside, seeing Asuna's breath was clearly for symbolic effect.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 84 of 115