• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kantai Collection Game Tops 2 Million Registered Users

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WANNFH

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 4:29 am Reply with quote
Michael Nathanael T. wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Panzer Vor wrote:

The real question is, how many of those users are from outside Japan?

How many are active.

You cannot play this game outside Japan. That 2 million users are from Japan (maybe some from outside Japan do something with their IP address or the DNS server)...

It's quite easy to register and play even outside Japan, just for knowledge. Yes, it need some chemistry with VPN and IP, you may be banned and you will be deprived of the technical support - but it's really easy to join for everyone. I say this as a real player.
scrwbll19

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:31 pm Reply with quote
It is possible to play the game outside of Japan, but you need to mess with your proxy and IP to do it. It is not hard, but getting your start-up ship is a pain in the butt because it is done by a lottery-like system.
iamadooddood

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:
You can say the exact same thing about Touhou, and yet that gets a free pass.

Touhou always gets a free pass. Always.

Part of this is due to how long Touhou took from its inception to become a phenomenon. Kantai Collection got to that level in less than a year (due to the fact that stuff spreads a lot faster on the Internet now than 20 years ago), so some people get the feeling that KanColle doesn't deserve its popularity as much as Touhou does, and so make up reasons for it that may or may not be valid.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I do feel that way about Touhou, but it's almost not worth bitching over anymore: they won, it's forever. Even with its own events, you have such talent either only or mostly doing more and more Touhou. Now, that's actually not a problem because at least Touhou allows for some unique designs, like Yuugi, but nearly all of the KanColle girls look exactly the same. There's no variety.
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I don't mean in a "heh, moe anime these days, amirite guise?" but more like, they all wear the same outfits and have the same headgear, and most of them are brunettes. Even if that's not all of them, at least 5 all looked the same.

Being sisters brings with it its own appeal. See the Akatsuki-class for example. Even in Touhou, many sisters have similar appearances. The fact that many classes have every ship girl being voiced by the same person, adds to that appeal. In fact, it'd be more jarring if a ship girl had a different appearance from her sisters. Compare Murakumo with the rest of the Fubuki-class for example. Or Shouhou and Zuihou.

However, the differences between ships of different classes are glaringly obvious, and you'd have to be blind to not see any at all. I could instantly identify more than 90% of the girls after just 2 weeks of playing the game.

Finally, I don't see the issue with most of them being brunettes. They will most likely have mainly hair colour being appropriate to their region, what with foreign ships and all.

誤称 wrote:
Meanwhile, Love Live School Idol Festival just passed 3 million users.

Lack of server space restricted KanColle's growth because the lottery turned off a lot of people. If not for this, KanColle would've had 3 or 4 million players easy by now.

No matter. The anime will pull in even more people.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:13 pm Reply with quote
I can't help but feel there's something a bit too garish about a series that personifies WW2 Japanese warships that are presently twisted rusting war graves somewhere on the bottom of the Pacific with "cute girls". Also being an old git I smell a bit of the old subliminal Imperialist worshipping and manipulation going on there, but the Japanese would never politicise a video game, would they? Wink
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's not like it's the first product to fetishize old warships. And yeah, I highly doubt fierce Yamato Damashi nationalistic pride has ever really disappeared in Japan. You now have generations far removed from the horror of the war, and once those who encountered it first hand are dead and gone, it'll continue off from there. Kind of like how someone could easily tell crude jokes about the Revolutionary War or the Civil War and no one would be offended, because very few people alive today knew anyone alive back then (last of them all died in the 50s). So now anything personal would be through third-hand accounts, and the emotional connection is more or less diminished.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 2:03 pm Reply with quote
What was that that George Santayana once said?
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I fail to see how that quote has any relevance in this situation. KanColle players are in no position to steer Japanese domestic or foreign policy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2