• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - In Between Cups

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:37 pm Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:
Raikuro wrote:
Not sure why people try to justify HxH getting the shaft by saying it would have to compete with the already established "Big 3" when stuff like Fairy Tail, Toriko and even Phi Brain or Magi have no trouble getting pushed out with dubs.

Phi Brain focuses on "puzzles," Toriko has quirky food adventures, and so far, Magi has aired in 26 episode chunks.

While I've heard good things about HxH, maybe it doesn't seem to be far enough outside the typical shounen to compete against those other shows that have already been running for years and have established fanbases. Or maybe Viz just hasn't made up their minds.

Hunter x Hunter has more than enough to compete with Toriko, Fairy Tail and the others. What's so great about it is that it will take shonen tropes and at times totally spit on it. It can be very unorthodox.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'd be more open to Aniplex's business practices if they weren't so stingy with their dubs. As someone who prefers watching anime in English, I find it incredibly frustrating to find out that an Aniplex show is getting a dub because there's no real guarantee that I'll be able to watch it.

Until just recently, if you wanted to watch an Aniplex dub, you only had two options: 1. have a cable subscription that includes Cartoon Network and pray that Adult Swim picks it up, then either stay up until 2 in the morning to watch it once a week or DVR it, or 2. buy the expensive home release. I'm lucky because I still have an anime-themed rental store in my location from which I can usually rent the DVDs, but if that ever goes away, what then?

When Neon Alley was around, I actually really enjoyed the service, because it gave me the opportunity to watch Blue Exorcist, Fate/Zero, and Magi in English without having to pay the exorbitant prices to do so. But even then, Aniplex's licensing restrictions forced the service to originally be a 24-hour televised stream instead of a video on-demand option. Meaning if you wanted to watch those shows, you had to watch them when THEY WANTED you to watch them. Later, they did bring in the "Catch-Up" feature, which was much better, but it still only allowed you to watch the latest 4 episodes at a time. If you wanted to marathon an entire series, then you were pretty much shit outta luck.

Granted, Aniplex *IS* getting more lenient with their streaming options since they moved to Netflix. You can now watch all of SAO, Madoka Magica, and Fate/Zero in English anytime you want. But what bothers me is they're still not making their older shows available on the service as well. Shows like ROD the TV, Ghost Slayers Ayashi, and even Gurren Lagann are several years old and have pretty much made most of the money they're ever going to get. Why on earth can't they upload those dubs online for whoever wants to watch those shows in English? At least Gurren Lagann is still in print, even though it's terribly expensive. For anyone who would want to watch the ROD or Ghost Slayers dubs, unless you're willing to shell out megabucks for an OOP set, too bad, so sad.

Because of this, I still get really gripey when there's a show coming out that I really wanna watch but it gets picked up by Aniplex. These days, whenever I find out they have something, it makes me lose interest in the show almost instantly. I just let myself do without them instead of getting all angry and bent out of shape over it. Besides, I've got more than enough other anime to keep me occupied instead. It's pretty much impossible to watch *everything*, so why even bother?
Gasero

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Hunter X Hunter can compete with the other shonen shows and it definitely embraces typical shonen tropes as it progresses. It really is a mystery why no publishers have picked it up for Western release because it fits very well (although the violence may be edited).

It could be the the license costs more than publishers think it is worth risking.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure someone will get HxH, but it's a matter of when.
j Talbain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:55 pm Reply with quote
About a week ago a buddy of mine randomly texted me saying why didn't you tell me about this Attack On Titan, it's amazing. I'm like dude I tell you about lots of anime and you don't care. But AOT is special. It's mainstream. Seems like Fairy Tail is getting mighty popular as well.
ParkerALx

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:00 pm Reply with quote
It's great to see Hunter x Hunter receive the love it deserves on the site. Keep spreading the word, and maybe we'll see a stateside release yet. Very Happy
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:18 pm Reply with quote
ParkerALx wrote:
It's great to see Hunter x Hunter receive the love it deserves on the site. Keep spreading the word, and maybe we'll see a stateside release yet. Very Happy

I do my best to spread the word.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Becoming less of a fan and enjoying slice-of-life more.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Viz did release the first Hunter x Hunter TV series but never went forward to the OVAs which continue exactly from where the TV series ends. I'm guessing it wasn't a success for them.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Viz did release the first Hunter x Hunter TV series but never went forward to the OVAs which continue exactly from where the TV series ends. I'm guessing it wasn't a success for them.

They honestly never tried that hard. I think if the new one is given enough of a push it really has a chance.
Gutsmen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:55 pm Reply with quote
HA! Comparing Hunter x Hunter with the other shounen is like comparing Netherlands with Spain. Wink
AgitoZ

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:22 am Reply with quote
Mike Toole wrote:
For a time, there was the marvelous and sadly under-appreciated Cross Manage...

It's nice to know someone else was digging that series and saddened when it got canned. I remember always ranking it highly in the weekly surveys hoping it would do something since I saw the lack of reaction it was getting. I always saw it like a reverse Eyeshield 21. But that would make it a sports series and we've seen repeatedly how well those do, at least in the states.
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:45 am Reply with quote
If Hunter x Hunter got put on Toonami (which has at least a little bit of potential seeing as how Bleach is tentatively scheduled to finish airing in October), I could see it gaining a huge following. Logically, I don't see it getting as big of a following as Bleach, Naruto, and One Piece right off the bat, but I think that with a few years behind it it could be as big as them stateside. I think the same could be said for Fairy Tail and possibly Toriko (assuming the anime gets a continuation).

This is all assuming that the "pseudo-mainstream" audience that holds the bulk of the Bleach & Naruto audience finds Hunter x Hunter appealing; They could potentially rag on it, call it a Naruto-rip, and then, worst-case-scenario, we might never see a complete release stateside.
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:
What've you been up to between the World Cups, readers?

Between World Cups? Hmm, watching Australia drag itself over the line to qualify for the current tournament.

Anime/manga wise...I actually started watching more anime (outside of DBZ and Pokemon from my childhood) and picking up some manga!
Shory

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:04 am Reply with quote
Gutsmen wrote:
HA! Comparing Hunter x Hunter with the other shounen is like comparing Netherlands with Spain. Wink

*raises Dutch hand* You're right, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3