• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Eureka Seven Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:02 pm Reply with quote
yeah i think the first half of this anime is not very good. The second half is much better.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:51 pm Reply with quote
wow, I couldn't disagree more with this review, Eureka 7 is a classic and this isn't nostalgic hindsight talking, I re-visited the show early last and year and it only confirmed it's status as one of my favorites

now I wont lie, re-watching it was a nostalgic experience, E7 was the last show that I watched on Adult Swim that I really got into, nothing else I watched from the period where E7 ended in 2007 to when I stopped watching anime on Adult Swim in 2008 captivated me as much, but that said I know a good series when I see one and E7 is a good series

one thing I love in particular is the world that it's set in, it's an intriguing mixture of the alien and futuristic alongside the familiar and modern, which is just enough to make everything feel grounded and believable

I also love the political themes of the series, like Fullmetal Alchemist it was a series that was not afraid to make some unvarnished statements about the Iraq war that was going on at the time, it just does so in a sci fi context whereas FMA did so in a fantasy one
Looneygamemaster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I found the first half of Eureka Seven a tedious slog with unlikeable and dull characters; it was as though the show was specifically trying to make me hate it. Then the drama in the cave happened, and I was invested. I don't know how it happened, but it'll be worth it to revisit the show.

About the English dub: does anyone agree with its praise? I've kinda heard otherwise, that between Bang Zoom's usual treatment (a script that's faithful without sounding natural) and all the technobabble E7 has, there are times where you can actually hear the voice actors confused about what they have to say.

Not saying either one is right or wrong, mind you--I haven't seen the English dub.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:30 am Reply with quote
Looneygamemaster wrote:
Bang Zoom's usual treatment (a script that's faithful without sounding natural)
What do you mean usual? The only Bang Zoom dub I'd describe as 'faithful without sounding natural' would be K-ON Season 2. But from what I've heard I can blame Sentai Filmworks giving the script their usual awkward weeaboo treatment for that one.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:57 am Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:
I can't really agree about the second half being all that bad. The first time I watched it, the second half was vastly superior, and the majority of my favorite episodes are in the second half. Although the first grew on me a lot as well. I know like both halves even though the second half can seem to drag a little bit.

I think the second half has a lot more emotional catharsis than the first half, which only really has episodes 22-26 for catharsis. While the second half had episodes like 36, 46, 50, and a few others that I'm probably forgetting.

As for Renton's character, I never once found him whiny or annoying. He seemed to me like a socially awkward teenager, and that's exactly what he was, and is for that matter.

Even after all my rewatches, Eureka Seven has remained my favorite anime. It just speaks to me on a personal level because I was in pretty much the exact same position Renton was when I watched the series the first time. I still relate to him a lot, even after all these years.

Its a story that ultimately sticks with you, largely because in my opinion, the series has the best developed romance I've ever seen in an anime. Especially since it ties into the bildugsroman that the series essentially is for Renton.

I plan on buying the Blu-Ray when I get the chance, the series probably looks really nice, probably a lot better than the previous Bandai DVD only release...

and more importantly , it didn't ended ala Evangelion. which could have happened very easily after ep 36. or it could have left it with more questions than answers like its sequel AO.

regardless it have a very good ending and at least it left some kind of conclusion though i would have to say that the ending for the movie is more superior.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SynergyMan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:26 am Reply with quote
Looneygamemaster wrote:
I found the first half of Eureka Seven a tedious slog with unlikeable and dull characters; it was as though the show was specifically trying to make me hate it. Then the drama in the cave happened, and I was invested. I don't know how it happened, but it'll be worth it to revisit the show.

About the English dub: does anyone agree with its praise? I've kinda heard otherwise, that between Bang Zoom's usual treatment (a script that's faithful without sounding natural) and all the technobabble E7 has, there are times where you can actually hear the voice actors confused about what they have to say.

Not saying either one is right or wrong, mind you--I haven't seen the English dub.

The dub is phoned in, relative to the cast's caliber. I mean, you have JYB and Stephanie Sheh phoning in, so that's enough to hurt the dub, considering WHO they are and how they portray the characters. They're also really, really good VAs, so I expected more. The dub is decent, though they kinda hurt it a little.
gedata

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:52 am Reply with quote
the 2nd half of Eureka Seven is flat-out better than it's first for the simple fact that things consistently happen in the 2nd at least
pinder_2009

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:43 pm Reply with quote
E7 is one of my top 10 favourites. I disagree with some of the points in the review but since that has been discussed a bit and I don't have anything to add to it I'll leave it. I just want to say that I was very surprised to see that the commentary by the Japanese cast was subbed. I don't really own a lot of anime so I'm not sure if this is out of the ordinary or not but I'm very glad that Funi or Bandai or whoever took the time to get the commentary subbed.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:36 pm Reply with quote
There is something highly resonant about this review. Less of its later reliance upon sci-fi excesses would have been much to E7's benefit. Much that I recall once greatly enjoying about this show is eclipsed by memories of sentient coral, prescient monks and other such mystical overabundances. It matters little that the world is being saved through various feats and contrivances—whatsoever it was that the world was being saved from—if the depiction of doing so takes regular priority over revealing more about the people we have come to care so much about. This is not to say that the later episodes placed no emphasis on the show's cast, for indeed such matters were of central importance to its climactic events, but the narrative priorities were frequently ill-assigned.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:
partially wrote:
Ranho wrote:
Wolf's Rain (the worst offender of the lot),

Opinions, eh. Laughing

I would say Wolf's Rain was the best constructed. Sure it had a lot of jargoney bits as per Bones typical. But at the same time it had a compelling plot that did a lot of interesting stuff. Rarely in the show is stuff thrown in for the heck of it, it all serves a purpose (well almost anyway, ugh those recaps). Whereas a lot of Bones' other shows seem to throw in a lot of includes just because they seem cool at the time or something. Wolf's Rain was more than can be seen on the surface.

Can't really say the same about E7. Not saying E7 is bad mind you, I enjoyed it. But the show was pretty much a flashy veneer for the most part, scratch the surface off and it was pretty hollow inside.

It's kind of strange for me because I have the exact same feelings, except for Wolf's Rain. It was a pretty show, and I did like it, but I felt like there wasn't a whole lot to it, that was particularly interesting.

I love BONES' works. I've watched all but 2 of them, and I plan on watching them very soon. Some shows they do are utterly fantastic, but other shows are rather meh, like The Mars Daybreak, which they haven't really done anything like it since, thank goodness.

I find Eureka Seven to be one of their best works, up there with Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, and to a lesser extent the Darker than Black series.

I'm of dissenting opinion here. I find RahXephon to be Bones' best with Wolf's Rain coming a close second, but with that said, Wolf's Rain has a CRAP LOAD going on with its story, you just have to be firing on all cylinders to get anything out of it because it is extremely subtle. It took me literally 3 tries before I could get through the whole thing, I would always get bored or lose focus after like 5 episodes, but if you really invest yourself in it it delivers and by the third try I had actually been itching to go through episode after episode non-stop. I will say the OVA episodes (final 4) overcompensate too much for the recaps and are a bit lackluster with the rest because they are rather melodramatic and drawn out, and the ending is a tad forced thematically, but is still fair and ultimately the whole thing is like a 9/10 from me. As for Fullmetal Alchemist, I'm more of a 2003 guy myself, and even then I don't love it, I find Brotherhood incredibly overrated on the other hand, it's decent and all, but the first 13 episodes were butchered, the animation tones and styles sometimes clash poorly (the humour isn't good for that matter), the final arc is rather haphazard and it lacks a bit of the thematic weight and visceral edge of the original. Darker than Black I had trouble getting through the first 4 episodes as well, and seeing how I'm told there are a lot of loose ends and the sequel is rather weak, I'm hesitant to give it another look (plus the wrist-slitting guy is gross). Captain Earth...I'm really hoping it picks up, but it lacks the passion of RahXephon and the style of E7 despite getting some elements from them. It needs to add some 'oomph' and unravel its mystery boxes soon or it is just gonna end up pretty flat.

P.S. E7 dub>sub. It still holds up strongly for me and I love it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I totally disagree with the article. I thought the second half was better than the first, although that can be because I spent the entire first half waiting for Eureka and Renton to be near each other. This is my favorite anime show of all time. I find there to be no fillers in it as it is always building on the characters and I even began to wish there was fillers so that it would last longer. I fine the whole show to be entirely enchanting. Does anyone know if they are going to make a sequel other than AO? I found AO to be disappointing and I pray that they make another one that follows Eureka and Renton. I mean they can continue that story where they left off. All forms of government had been sorta destroyed and all that. The show does not have to end. Anyone know if they are going to make another?
eyeresist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:38 am Reply with quote
I'm no fan of E7 (I rated it Weak) and agree with critics that the first half was more fun, the second being a overextended pile of melodrama. But I do think Carl somehow missed the point of the series (as well as swallowing a dictionary).

Renton I did not find especially annoying. Complaints about characters who are wussy seem to be made by people who think anime heros should be super manly men just like them. :eyeroll:
The only characters I can recall offhand who really annoyed me with constant whining were the girls in High School of the Dead. Next to those shrieking harpies, Shinji was Chuck Norris.

partially wrote:
Ranho wrote:
Wolf's Rain (the worst offender of the lot)
I would say Wolf's Rain was the best constructed. Sure it had a lot of jargony bits as per Bones typical. But at the same time it had a compelling plot that did a lot of interesting stuff. Rarely in the show is stuff thrown in for the heck of it, it all serves a purpose (well almost anyway, ugh those recaps). Whereas a lot of Bones' other shows seem to throw in a lot of includes just because they seem cool at the time or something. Wolf's Rain was more than can be seen on the surface.
I agree. Wolf's Rain ostensibly wandered, being a journey to an unknown destination, but it was clear and consistent in its themes and characters. The ending was mystical, but not in the usual vague "we couldn't figure out a real ending" way - it's based on the Hindu idea of reincarnation in a world which is in a vast eternal cycle of rise and decline (obviously the events of Wolf's Rain take place towards the end of the decline). A lot of the show feels subdued and melancholy, which I guess turns some people off, but I found enough variety of locale and character development to keep me interested.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:17 am Reply with quote
I bought the Anime Legends box sets back when Bandai had it. I'm not in any hurry to upgrade to the Blu-ray discs despite having a BD deck (I've only got one BD: Stargate). Many of my anime DVDs are old and some are out of print (Read: Former Bandai, Viz, Tokyopop, ADV, MB, Manga Entertainment, Urban Vision, and CPM titles). Unless you're sitting very close to the TV and/or have a big TV (I've got a 24" I use for a computer monitor and a 22" for watching TV/movies.), the difference isn't that noticeable.

My main gripe with Eureka Seven: If humans and Coralians (For simplicity's sake, I'll focus on the humanoid variety and ignore the antibodies, Kute class, and garden-variety scubs) both evolved separately, independently, each on distant planets, HOW ARE EUREKA AND RENTON EVEN ABLE TO INTERBREED AND PRODUCE VIABLE OFFSPRING? THEIR MOST BASIC PHYSIOLOGY SHOULDN'T ALLOW HYBRIDIZATION!

First, are Coralians people? They're clearly not any subspecies of Homo sapiens and dictionary definitions generally specify that only human beings can be considered people. Even if we broadened the definition of "people", as we probably should in this case, these people still wouldn't be human nor any other species of monkey. Humans are a subset of apes, so if you're not an ape, then you can't be human (As members of the infraorder Catarrhini a.k.a. the Old World monkeys, we're monkeys by definition). Humans are also mammals, cynodont therapsids, synapsid amniotes, and vertebrate deuterostome animals in the same way and for the same reason. Not every mammal is human, obviously, but all humans are mammals and if you're not a mammal, you can't be human no matter how intelligent, civilized, or humanoid you are. No matter how much Eureka, Sakuya, and spoiler[Gonzy] may be like H. sapiens, they are not part of the human gene pool. They lie outside of it entirely. They're something else.

Second, Eureka Seven is hardly the only offender. Dragon Ball has humans, three-eyed people, and Saiyans (We never see any hybrids of either of these species and Nameks, Frieza's unnamed species, or whatever Mr. Popo, Buu, and King Kai are); Lord of the Rings has humans, elves, dwarfs, Hobbits, and orcs; RahXephon has humans and Mulians; Please Teacher! has humans and Mizuho's unnamed species; Star Trek has humans, Vulcans, Romulans, Klingons, Borg, Cardassians, Ferengi, etc.; Dr. Who has humans and Time Lords; the Elder Scrolls games have, from Morrowind on, four human races (Nords, Imperials, Redguards, Bretons), four elven races (Altmer, Bosmer, Dunmer, Orcs; the Orcs' elven lineage is explained in-game), and two beast races (Khajiit and Argonians), though we see hybrids between human and elven races but never between humanoid and beast races; The World of Narue has humans and Narue's nameless species; ad infinitum. In all of these franchises, the humanoid races are all based on the same template and each has their own unique modifications such as weird ears, funky foreheads, strange hair/eye colors, sprouting wings or other structures from their bodies (In Eureka's case, spoiler[butterfly wings]), and definitive behavioral disorders. They're all essentially the same thing and the fact that they can all interbreed suggests they must be closely related subspecies at least within the same genus and all derived from the same source. But if they all evolved separately, independently from one another, each on distant planets, then we should expect their most basic physiology to be dramatically different (e.g., Vulcans have green blood due to copper-based hemoglobin; Time Lords have two hearts; Coralians have strange eye/hair colors).

They cannot all be uniquely original yet superficially identical, internally incomparable, and genetically compatible all at the same time! In our biological reality, there can be convergence where members of once-divergent sub-classes or other taxa later play identical roles and adapt accordingly, but they will never become the same and cannot hybridize (e.g., wolves, hyenas, and the now-extinct Tasmanian tiger; sharks, shark-like bony fish, ichthyosaurs, and dolphins; saber-toothed cats, barbourofelids, nimravids, ancient creodonts such as Hyaenodon, the distant sparassodont Thylacosmilus, and Permian gorgonopsids; pterosaurs, birds, and bats; feline cats, raccoons, and tanuki; foxes and Malagasy civets). It doesn't matter how much they look alike on the surface. The physiology of an organism determines what it is. The more distantly related they are, the deeper you have to look for similarities, but if they're related at all, then the deeper you look, the more similar they'll be.

TL;DR: Eureka Seven has joined the list of anime ruined by science.

Last edited by Clyde_Cash on Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:36 pm; edited 3 times in total
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:24 am Reply with quote
^umm, you might be overthinking things a bit. Suspension of disbelief and all that.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:56 pm Reply with quote
shamisen the great wrote:
^umm, you might be overthinking things a bit. Suspension of disbelief and all that.

At least be glad they didn't do an anime remake of Jurassic Park.

The things Michael Crichton and Steven Spielberg got wrong... Evil or Very Mad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3