• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Images of Sailor Moon Crystal Japanese BD Extras Revealed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ehh123

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:02 am Reply with quote
Shocked With all that extravagance, they better clean up at least one or two animation mistakes.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:23 am Reply with quote
@walw6pK4Alo @Lili-Hime OMG wretched screenshots...I now understand. For the fans I hope they have cleaned it up post airing/pre home video as configspace says. If not I doubt anyone is paying to see the show again, just for the elaborate bonuses.

Reminds me of when I was watching the NatsuKise broadcast...all of my hopes for animation as beautiful as the key visuals obliterated in an instant (that ugly chase scene in the second episode) though I think they did end up cleaning it for the home release ;p I have far too big of a soft spot for that mess of an anime.
WitchWatcher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:33 am Reply with quote
boy they're really treating this as if its the second coming
Manwards

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:09 am Reply with quote
This has been a real disappointment for me. I've wanted a Sailor Moon reboot for literally years and years, and so far it just isn't very good. I'm not the sort to notice animation errors and the like very often, but they stick out a mile in this series. Hopefully the BDs will give the show the respect it deserves...
Rederoin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:29 am Reply with quote
EastN3 wrote:
$800? For a show of this quality? Whoever pays that price deserves what they're getting, that's I can say.

Seems about normal(i.e Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun is 417$ for 12 episodes)l, I don't see the problem.
Lunardove

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:38 am Reply with quote
I'm only buying Vol. 1 for the music box and extras since that one seems worth it for the price. Amazon.JP has a good discount for it around $61 total USD. But it's better to wait till Viz releases it here with all the episodes. Plus I hear there are no English Subtitles if you import them so it's a waste if you don't know Japanese.

Hopefully they'll clean up the animation since this reboot has been disappointing quality wise. I still have hope for crystal but as of now I prefer the original anime over the new one.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:51 am Reply with quote
If only the episode animation were as good as the artwork on the Blu Ray cover. =/

Hell, if it were as good as the PV that would've been nice too, but clearly the animation in that is a lot different than the episodes.
EastN3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:
EastN3 wrote:
$800? For a show of this quality? Whoever pays that price deserves what they're getting, that's I can say.

Seems about normal(i.e Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun is 417$ for 12 episodes)l, I don't see the problem.

Just to clear up misunderstandings, I didn't mean that $800 is a ridiculous price for a 26 episode show (well, actually it is but...) I understand how business, economics, and inflation work, I was joking that anyone paying that price for a series that is, so far, as shoddy as this is getting what they deserve.
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:
shamisen the great wrote:
Perhaps the production team could have spent more money on the actual show instead of these (admittedly nice) extras.

LOL how bad are we talking? Jarring CGI bad or something else? I've got the first two episodes on my tablet but haven't had the time to sit and watch them.

Well....

THESE ARE ACTUAL SHOTS THEY ARE NOT PHOTOSHOPPED.

im not going to deny the quality of the show is questionable,to downright awful at times,but i'm calling bs on this.

I bet anything that these frames are picked from shots that would be impossible for the human eye to catch,unless you were intentionally looking for them.

i'm not defending them or anything,i've seen some pretty bad things from this,such as sausage long fingers and such,but it always pisses me off when people pick theses cheap shots. trust me,you can shame them with so many other things than this.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Sorry to break it to you, but even before those photos were blasted all over the internet, I totally noticed those inconsistencies, especially from the Sailor Mars episode.

It was caught by the human eye. Womp womp

Last edited by tygerchickchibi on Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:03 pm Reply with quote
ARC-1300 wrote:
im not going to deny the quality of the show is questionable,to downright awful at times,but i'm calling bs on this.

I bet anything that these frames are picked from shots that would be impossible for the human eye to catch,unless you were intentionally looking for them.

These aren't "AHA! GOTCHA!" screencaps that occur in the blink of an eye. Refer to what I said before, they're key frames that are lingered on for long moments, and immediately stand out as terrible. They've very noticeable to anyone in possession of eyes.

The show is just that poorly animated.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:07 pm Reply with quote
^Episode 3 was indeed full of those. I remember the scene in which Ami introduces Rei to Usagi and Usagi gets all googly-eyed because Rei is so gorgeous, but all the frames of Rei in that scene are so insanely off-model I almost wanted to cry. It was incredibly disappointing because I expected at least one "really gorgeous looking" panel, since it was the character's first introduction, and as a remarkably beautiful person to boot, but every time the camera closed in on Rei's face it was just painfully atrocious
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:16 pm Reply with quote
ARC-1300 wrote:

i'm not defending them or anything,i've seen some pretty bad things from this,such as sausage long fingers and such,but it always pisses me off when people pick theses cheap shots. trust me,you can shame them with so many other things than this.

Umm.... have you seen the show? That rei / hand shot was on screen for like a full couple seconds O.o and don't get me started on Luna...

This is not how you cat draw!!
(That animation was on screen a good solid second)
Mikeski

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:
This is not how you cat draw!!

Luna got some junk in her trunk.

(It migrated there from her neck.)
TuxedoSam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:11 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised there are no positive comments about the new anime. I am well aware that much of the animation is poorly done, but a lot of it is still good and the story line is so pleasantly accurate to the manga. Plus, I like the art style. It is much closer to the manga than the previous anime. There's just been a lack of execution in some areas, not that the art style itself is bad.

As someone previously mentioned about the BD/DVD box art, I, too, wish the animation art was as clean and beautiful as that.

I hadn't really processed the full amount the DVDs would cost until now, and wow, that is so expensive for only 24 episodes. I pre-ordered all of them without calculating the end price, but honestly, it wouldn't have mattered to me. I am going to buy them anyway because I am an avid collector. As much as I hate the price, I'd hate it more to not have the original Japanese release. I can always resell them if I change my mind.

Furthermore, I noticed no one posted screenshots of the REALLY fucked up looking frames. These are the ones that stood out to me the most while I was watching the anime:

(This one was Rei recognizing Usagi with a flashback of her with a dumbfounded face. It was really odd and I thought it was terrible when I saw it. I even felt embarrassed for the animators because I was watching it with my friend, who I'm trying to convert to a SM fan. lol)

(There are often terrible or strange-looking fingers and anatomy that I drew in 5th grade. :/)

(SM's background is lackluster. I feel the background for one of her notorious poses should be glorious and beautiful. The uninspired roses with excessive stems make it come across as lazy and unstructured.)

(Mercury has a hunch back and a weird pose. Her background is also lackluster, plain, and looks lazy.)

(Again, the background is lackluster, plain, and appears lazy. Moreover, this pose is just weird and until now, I couldn't think of what it reminded me of...If I recall correctly, there have been TV shows of men and cartoons where male characters have put their arms up in a similar pose to attract other male caricatures, as a comedic attempt to try to be feminine. I think...)

I'm also not a fan of the CGI transformations, but they have grown on me quite a lot. However, I still would have preferred them not to be CGI. Or maybe just CGI backgrounds.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3