• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works' 2 1-Hour Specials, Ad Unveiled

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Man Aniplex is going overkill with trying to hype the shit out of this even by their usual standards. Why does this show need 2 1 hour specials other than to draw even more attention to it as some colossal big deal. Why not just make it an OVA series like they did with Kara no Kyoukai at this rate. This honestly might even muck a bit with how I'm going to watch it cause I'm not sure I'll have all that much time to fit in 2 one hour episodes two weeks in a row...might have to put one or two off. No big deal, but it just strikes me as extra try hard and unnecessary since I'm interested but not super big into this franchise enough for all these gimmicks and hyping nonsense they're pulling with it.
WikiSonic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Man Aniplex is going overkill with trying to hype the shit out of this even by their usual standards. Why does this show need 2 1 hour specials other than to draw even more attention to it as some colossal big deal. Why not just make it an OVA series like they did with Kara no Kyoukai at this rate. This honestly might even muck a bit with how I'm going to watch it cause I'm not sure I'll have all that much time to fit in 2 one hour episodes two weeks in a row...might have to put one or two off. No big deal, but it just strikes me as extra try hard and unnecessary since I'm interested but not super big into this franchise enough for all these gimmicks and hyping nonsense they're pulling with it.

I think it more has to do with the fact that the prologue in the VN is just that long and they want to be able to adapt it faithfully so the rest of the show doesn't suffer. The same was done with Fate/Zero.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:19 pm Reply with quote
WikiSonic wrote:
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:

I think it more has to do with the fact that the prologue in the VN is just that long and they want to be able to adapt it faithfully so the rest of the show doesn't suffer. The same was done with Fate/Zero.

Why do I find it somehow hard to believe that that's specifically what they have in mind here. Still seems more like yet another promotional stunt with this show that's already somehow managed to surpass Fate/Zero in that department. I mean honestly I really am interested and trying not to get my expectations up to the stratospheric levels of all the hypers and advocates for this show so that I'm not disappointed since for me it's just another promising show to watch and not the be all end all but it's getting harder and harder the more aggressive the advertising is for it. It's hard to explain but this sort of thing is just a major turnoff for me when I was already going to take an interest in and watch the show anyway, just don't feel like I need to be force fed this much advertising for any anime no matter how popular.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:

Well it is working for the majority of other people. That's good enough reason for them to hype the crap out of it.
jl07045

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Why do I find it somehow hard to believe that that's specifically what they have in mind here. Still seems more like yet another promotional stunt with this show that's already somehow managed to surpass Fate/Zero in that department. I mean honestly I really am interested and trying not to get my expectations up to the stratospheric levels of all the hypers and advocates for this show so that I'm not disappointed since for me it's just another promising show to watch and not the be all end all but it's getting harder and harder the more aggressive the advertising is for it. It's hard to explain but this sort of thing is just a major turnoff for me when I was already going to take an interest in and watch the show anyway, just don't feel like I need to be force fed this much advertising for any anime no matter how popular.

No one is force feeding you and there aren't that many going "OMG, this will blow your mind!!!" to non-fans. F/SN fans are obviously very enthused that the novel they love will hopefully get a great adaptation and the producers want to capitalize on the current popularity of Type-Moon. They aren't even going about this a lot differently from F/Z marketing-wise, except making a bigger effort to advertise it outside Japan. As for hour-long episodes, they want to be faithful to the source material, so they portray things as they were in the source material. And the prologue is long.
acetatsujin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:51 pm Reply with quote
AsukaTenjyoin wrote:
"Episode zero, "Prologue," will premiere on October 4, and will focus on Rin Tohsaka and her servant Saber."

I think it should be "Rin Tohsaka and her servant Archer."

This is correct. Rin summons Archer in the visual novel and the anime (both the 2007 TV and UTW movie).

Looking forward to this. Saber gets her maximum strength once she becomes Rin's servant.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:03 pm Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:

Well it is working for the majority of other people. That's good enough reason for them to hype the crap out of it.

Well I'm not most people as should probably be evident. Besides most anime fans nowadays would get hyped up about just about anything as long as a producer works the right angles with them since this isn't exactly the hobby of critical thinkers and skeptics so much as people that get irrationally hyped up or angry over something at the drop of a hat. If anything hype has the opposite effect on me though since I'm the kind of person that likes to make up my own mind on things, not be beaten over the head by production companies and fanboys as to why I should feel a certain way about something or expect a certain standard since there's little correlation between hype and overall enjoyment at the end of the day. Still in spite of all that I was always interested in this show and ufoTABLE and Type/Moon collaborations have had a pretty good track record in spite of the overall producers typical track record with hyping thing up through the roof so other than fitting it into my schedule now not much has changed in me wanting to watch it either way despite the aggressive advertising approach. I'm just so far from expecting the be all end all status it's trying to invoke that everyone seems to have taken as a given at this rate.

jl07045 wrote:
No one is force feeding you and there aren't that many going "OMG, this will blow your mind!!!" to non-fans..

Errr...that's pretty much exactly what I've been getting from the advertising of this show and Type/Moon fans for the better part of a month now. Hell it's all anything people seem to be talking about leading up to this season so it's kind of taken on sort of an ironic quality for me. It's like anything less than this being the most monumental achievement in the history of late night TV animation will be seen as a failure at this rate, it's that comically hyped up.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:27 pm Reply with quote
@Kaioshin_Sama I think Aniplex did the whole hype campaign with Fate/Zero as well. I don't remember the exact extent of it but yeah hype city.
jl07045

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Errr...that's pretty much exactly what I've been getting from the advertising of this show and Type/Moon fans for the better part of a month now. Hell it's all anything people seem to be talking about leading up to this season so it's kind of taken on sort of an ironic quality for me. It's like anything less than this being the most monumental achievement in the history of late night TV animation will be seen as a failure at this rate, it's that comically hyped up.

You're exaggerating. Many people are enthusiastic and marketing is aggressive. This is not the first nor the last show with that. You're just paying too much attention.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:55 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
@Kaioshin_Sama I think Aniplex did the whole hype campaign with Fate/Zero as well. I don't remember the exact extent of it but yeah hype city.

It was annoying there too, perhaps worse since I wasn't as used to it at that point and had no idea what to make of the colossally big deal they were making out of it whereas now it's just like Aniplex being Aniplex in all their obnoxiousness. I swear the company has pretty much made me hate anime at this rate or at least the vibe surrounding the culture with how they've commercialized and streamlined it's production and appeal worse than ever before in it's history. It's such a pre-packaged "you're going to love this and buy our shit you mindless peons" vibe I get off of their approach. Like I'm not even really someone that complains about their pricing points either since I couldn't care less and that's a whole other subject and can of worms, I just utterly despise their approach to producing anime and what looks like a never ending ego trip built off the hard work of the actual workers like ufoTABLE and the animators at A-1 pretty much entirely. It's just killing the buzz of the medium for me so fast this year it's not even funny and makes me feel like it's time to stop following modern anime after this season wraps up since their bullshit is pretty much the future of the medium and since nobody can really compete with Sony backed advertising and hyping and they produce pretty much everything now anyway. Anime production is a monopoly plain and simple for better or for worse....probably worse since the notion of competition and creative independence is long gone and has been for a while now. The only real hope is the whole Kickstarter thing Under The Dog is trying.

Anyway now that it's come to the point where they do this with pretty much every action show they get the license to it has pretty much no effect other than to make me roll my eyes and say just get on with airing the show already and let it speak for itself. Supposedly the fan feedback in Japan is good though so it'll probably be a good show, I just doubt it's ability to make me proclaim it as the be all end all by the time it's all said and done since Fate/Zero basically promised the holy grail and failed to deliver. Yes pun intended, but really it was kind of just another fun blockbuster show with some cool characters and their struggles that didn't really change how I felt about the Type/Moon label or anime either way and had it's strengths and weaknesses same as any other show.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Yes pun intended, but really it was a fun blockbuster show that didn't really change how I felt about the Type/Moon label either way and had it's strengths and weaknesses same as any show.

Weird, Fate/Zero made me hate the franchise even more than the original Fate/Stay did; These shows are made for the fans but when you point out the storytelling flaws present in all prequels and parallel stories and then the ones specific to this pretentious fan fiction trash, they get huffy.

Yeah, pretentious isn't a buzzword, it is Type moon. How long have they been telling the same damn grail story anyway?

"Looks great and has great music" = money as producers keep pilling money for this franchise. Give me something more specific about these two hour long episodes {longer than the movie, oh good the pace on this show's going to hurt} than "They are adapting everything..."
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Yes pun intended, but really it was a fun blockbuster show that didn't really change how I felt about the Type/Moon label either way and had it's strengths and weaknesses same as any show.

Weird, Fate/Zero made me hate the franchise even more than the original Fate/Stay did; These shows are made for the fans but when you point out the storytelling flaws present in all prequels and parallel stories and then the ones specific to this pretentious fan fiction trash, they get huffy.

Yeah, pretentious isn't a buzzword, it is Type moon. How long have they been telling the same damn grail story anyway?

"Looks great and has great music" = money as producers keep pilling money for this franchise. Give me something more specific about these two hour long episodes {longer than the movie, oh good the pace on this show's going to hurt} than "They are adapting everything..."

Well this always struck me as one of those "the source material is sacrosanct and perfect" kind of affairs so it would kind of make sense if they are going to adapt absolutely everything regardless of how it flows in an animated medium. Type/Moon fandom is a volatile breed that seems to expect that so they're likely to oblige, but as someone just kind of casually interested it's just like a wait and see thing same as it's always been. I guess the hyping is mainly for the fans, but then I kind of wonder if they wouldn't just be tuning in any way so I don't get why they don't just let it speak for itself then especially considering the feedback from the theatrical premiere seems very positive anyway.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:28 pm Reply with quote
@Kaioshin_Sama lots of truth in that post of yours. If I could say something it would be don't think so hard about it. Just let it happen come October. When your mind delves into the "behind the scenes" shit it can ruin the magic pretty quickly. I'm a slightly obsessed Type-Moonie so I'm kinda biased towards the marketing campaign (I'm enjoying what I'm seeing so far) I'll probably end up watching a fair share via streaming and then view the final parts with friends when the home video comes along. I've sold my soul to this franchise long ago. I can completely understand the "in your face" feeling you are getting from all of the fuss. It is a highly anticipated series though. The first adaptation didn't really get the job done and this one seems like its starting on the right path. I'm viewing it as the Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood of the Fate franchise right now. Lots and lots of excitement for another go at it.
great old one

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm fangasming so hard!!!!!!!!

Type-moon and ufotable-grea8test thing in Japan!!!!
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:45 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
@Kaioshin_Sama lots of truth in that post of yours. If I could say something it would be don't think so hard about it. Just let it happen come October. When your mind delves into the "behind the scenes" shit it can ruin the magic pretty quickly. I'm a slightly obsessed Type-Moonie so I'm kinda biased towards the marketing campaign (I'm enjoying what I'm seeing so far) I'll probably end up watching a fair share via streaming and then view the final parts with friends when the home video comes along. I've sold my soul to this franchise long ago. I can completely understand the "in your face" feeling you are getting from all of the fuss. It is a highly anticipated series though. The first adaptation didn't really get the job done and this one seems like its starting on the right path. I'm viewing it as the Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood of the Fate franchise right now. Lots and lots of excitement for another go at it.

Well I guess I'm a rare breed cause I feel like I'm just about the only person that has enjoyed what he's seen so far of the franchise yet have not found anything that's put me head over heels in love with it and behaving like some of the Type/Moon fans out there acting like this show is oh so much better than everything else already and pretty much just being out of control with the thread shitting in some cases coughMALcough. Also this whole "fudge the casuals we don't want any new fans posting in our threads" aspect of it isn't exactly welcoming either and makes me feel like gee maybe I don't want to bother with this stuff if that's what it's ultimately all about. It's just kind of coming across as obnoxious and I can see the producers are totally stoking the fires meaning avoiding forums during this shows airing is for sure going to be an absolute must and I can totally see why you'd want to take a watch with friends approach to finishing it up. That's the best way to do it.

Like it's not bad stuff at all, really I've quite liked the ufoTABLE adaptations of Type/Moon, I even really like the characters a lot, it's just I can't get super hyped over it like everyone else seems to be, not that's the only example of that being the case. For me though I guess if I already sold my soul or at least time and passion to a franchise it'd be Gundam which is also getting an entry this season and will be getting at least a one hour premiere. I guess this just strikes me as one upsmanship somehow though, like oh there have been shows that have had one hour premiers before so in order to fully drive home the promotion that this is just the biggest thing ever in the history of anime adaptations we need to do two of them cause this stuff is just that extra special and so are we for producing it. Has me rather skeptical as to it being entirely necessary beyond just the ego stroking of the producers doing something unprecedented that serves no extra special purpose other than to get fanboys who are already fanboying fanboying even harder but we'll see.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3