• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Elementary Idol Group 'Girlfriend's' Producer Bans Fan From Future Events After Incident

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Yes because letting your kid walk to school alone is totally comparable then letting your kid hang out in a bus with a bunch of obsessed 30-something men.

It shows that parents are far more trustful and respect their child's decisions and intelligence. You are acting like their producers are cackling with glee as they count the sack of money they were paid as their clients are being raped in the back of the bus by those 30 year olds, helpless and unable to speak out for themselves. They have strict code of conduct for these kinds of things, just like with any celebrity meet-and-greet. It's not some barbaric free-for-all event.

enurtsol wrote:
Kinda like if Nick or Disney markets their middle school teen stars to adults. If adults happen to like them too, fine - but actively trying to court adults to them........ For example, one can tell the intentions if the entertainment agency has a problem or not when the meet-and-greet crowd turns out a disproportionate amount of adults.

The main difference is Japan has no problem capitalizing on an older fanbase for a property; we see it all the time with everything popular with kids. Here in America, it'd probably be a PR nightmare of parents asking why Disney is letting some 13/14 year old actress interact with a group of adult guys.

But if people don't think tons of adults are thinking of those Disney/Nick stars that way, then they are very naive. So many underage girls from all kinds of shows (GoT's Maise Williams, that one girl from Mad Men who I don't know because I don't watch it, and virtually every Nick/Disney show) have their large, vocal fanbases. Whether it's all pure sexual or not, I have no idea, but they're out there.

Though logically it makes sense if those events are mostly adults. Adults are the ones with the hundreds/thousands of dollars it costs to go on their tours or meetings. I doubt many kids have that kind of cash laying around unless they come from a well-off family. It just acknowledges being able to capitalize on peripheral demographics.

On a related note, I wonder if Hasbro has ever said anything about tons of adult men attending their MLP events. As much as I don't like bronies, at least they don't seem to care what people think of them and go to MLP events anyway. Saying these events having adult men is problematic by default, rather than what they actually do there (in this case, one guy was doing something inappropriate, in just how many adults across how many events for these young idol groups?) is more like age profiling/thought crime territory.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:11 am Reply with quote
Rensie wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
In this case, yes, their culture is very wrong. And apparently they need people in the rest of the world to clue them in on that, because they're fairly clueless about it themselves.

I can say the same thing about your sick and hypocritical culture that like to stick your nose in other country affairs, this is laughable and more pathetic in my eyes.

One very important issue that Europe is very thankful for America keeping the pressure on Japan is the international parental child abduction issue. Japan is a party to the 1980 Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction, but the only developed country to be non-compliant, until finally this year. Japan being strongly biased to the ethnic J-parent and not believing in joint parenting of divorces, so what amounted to as illegal child abductions in foreign courts weren't enforced by the Japanese court system, even when foreign courts enforce J-court abductions.

Fedora-san wrote:

But if people don't think tons of adults are thinking of those Disney/Nick stars that way, then they are very naive. So many underage girls from all kinds of shows (GoT's Maise Williams, that one girl from Mad Men who I don't know because I don't watch it, and virtually every Nick/Disney show) have their large, vocal fanbases. Whether it's all pure sexual or not, I have no idea, but they're out there.

So long as the entertainment agencies don't market the kids specifically to adults who think of the kids that way, it should be fine.

Fedora-san wrote:

Though logically it makes sense if those events are mostly adults. Adults are the ones with the hundreds/thousands of dollars it costs to go on their tours or meetings. I doubt many kids have that kind of cash laying around unless they come from a well-off family. It just acknowledges being able to capitalize on peripheral demographics.

Peripheral is fine. Specifically to take advantage of kids for adults who think of them that way, that's enabling those adults.

Fedora-san wrote:

As much as I don't like bronies, at least they don't seem to care what people think of them and go to MLP events anyway.

Yeah I don't think they care what we think when they show up in our cons too.

Last edited by enurtsol on Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Rensie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:26 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
It doesn't matter who does it, it will *always* be wrong.

This is your personal opinion so refrain to speak for everyone since i completely disagree with you.
Idols matter is fine as long the girls have fun and security do proper job, that seems the case here.
Moreover what japanese people do for their entertainment in not your business, they know what to do and how manage these things without foreigners tell them what is wrong or right.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:06 am Reply with quote
Rensie wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

This is your personal opinion so refrain to speak for everyone since i completely disagree with you.

He's not speaking for everyone - because there are creeps out there who think sexualising children is totally fine - but rather he's simply speaking the truth. No matter which society we are talking about it is not okay if they sexualise children.
kgw

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:18 am Reply with quote
Please, don't say that "the kids are doing it freely". Lots of kids go to sports, or whatever other practice for years just because their parents want them to do it. They just say "you'll start taking piano lessons tomorrow", and you take piano lessons because they are your parents and they say so.
Well, it's the same with those girls.

As for the statement, I can't help but reading it "jeez, this guy is spoiling the fun for the rest of adult fans of a elementary girls' idol group. Can't you stand there staring them closely as they all do?"

@Rensie: that's your personal opinion, too.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:31 am Reply with quote
Rensie wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

Idols matter is fine as long the girls have fun and security do proper job, that seems the case here.
Moreover what japanese people do for their entertainment in not your business, they know what to do and how manage these things without foreigners tell them what is wrong or right.

I didn't ask for your agreement. I don't need it. No one asked if you were accepting of this sort of wrongness. Just because *you* do not think it is wrong, it doesn't mean that it isn't still wrong to sexualize young children, or to throw away their innocence so that a parent can live vicariously through their child.

And whether or not something is my business has NO BEARING on my ability to approve of disapprove of those things. I see people do wrong things all the time, but I almost never try to stop them because it's not my place to do so. I haven't even advocated passing laws to ban things like "Tots for Tiaras", nor am I suggesting Japan should do so. Just because something is wrong, it doesn't necessarily mean that there should be laws in place to prevent it from happening.

If some people in Japan want to turn little girls into "idols" and idolize them due to their perceived sexual purity, then that is indeed their business. But it is still the wrong thing to do. You seem to believe that if you don't think a particular act is wrong, then it can't *be* wrong... but it can. You're simply mistaken in believing that; actually, you're *grossly* mistaken to believe that. You can believe that 2+2=5 all you want, and even if millions of people agreed with you, you and they would *still be wrong*.

I'm not sure why you're so desperate to defend this sort of behavior (so it seems to me, anyway). Children should be allowed to be children, not objects on display. There's a reason so many (probably most) childhood stars end up with serious emotional problems as adults.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:08 am Reply with quote
This is absolutely vile and disgusting. There isn't any context where it's okay to take elementary schoolgirls, turn them into an idol group called "Girlfriends", and market them to adult, middle-aged men. That anyone could support a business model that tries to specifically market small girls as objects of affection to adult men is nauseating, horrific, and nasty on an infinite number of levels. Vain attempts to try and lessen the stigma of the situation by saying "it's not much different in the West" just reads as desperation, trying to turn public eyes away from the stigma of Japan's growing obsession with lolis. I mean seriously - there's an industry in Japan that's exploiting little children for the twisted cravings of older men. That's horrific!
Rensie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:14 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

I didn't ask for your agreement. I don't need it. No one asked if you were accepting of this sort of wrongness.

Byased opinion again, you suggest the answer.

Quote:
Just because *you* do not think it is wrong, it doesn't mean that it isn't still wrong to sexualize young children, or to throw away their innocence so that a parent can live vicariously through their child.

I don't see any sexualization here, just happy kids who dance and people make photos (and i don't care what they think or they do at their home, their freedom), you are the only one that think in this way, but it make you right only in your eyes, is not the absolutely truth and never will be.

Quote:
And whether or not something is my business has NO BEARING on my ability to approve of disapprove of those things. I see people do wrong things all the time, but I almost never try to stop them because it's not my place to do so. I haven't even advocated passing laws to ban things like "Tots for Tiaras", nor am I suggesting Japan should do so. Just because something is wrong, it doesn't necessarily mean that there should be laws in place to prevent it from happening.

You are right here, there shouldn't be never laws against the freedom of speech. People are free to do whatever they want till they harm someone else.

Quote:
If some people in Japan want to turn little girls into "idols" and idolize them due to their perceived sexual purity, then that is indeed their business. But it is still the wrong thing to do.

Again, i don't see any sexualisation here, idols are singers, they have their own will to decide whatever they want or not do. Kids aren't different, they aren't just brainless robots that don't know what they are doing.
This is just an american believe, where kida are retards till they reach the age of 18, but is where your society is wrong.
Not to mention all the shit against comics, guys who send their own naked photos to the girlfirend and marked as sex offender, and so on, so you should shut the fudge up because your society is the worst, full of pathetic hypocrites and criminals.

Quote:
You seem to believe that if you don't think a particular act is wrong, then it can't *be* wrong... but it can.

You decide is wrong, i decide is not based on what i see.

Quote:
You're simply mistaken in believing that; actually, you're *grossly* mistaken to believe that.

I can say the same about you, dear american friend.

Quote:
You can believe that 2+2=5 all you want, and even if millions of people agreed with you, you and they would *still be wrong*.

Because you said so then is automatically true indeed. Classic american vision, you are right rest of the world is wrong. Pathetic.

Quote:
I'm not sure why you're so desperate to defend this sort of behavior (so it seems to me, anyway). Children should be allowed to be children, not objects on display. There's a reason so many (probably most) childhood stars end up with serious emotional problems as adults.

Kids do whatever they want to be happy, they aren't retards, there is nothing wrong in what they are doing based on these videos (they are just sing, not strip eh!!!!) so since they have fun and parents approve there is no harm and no problem.

Your overprotective and puritan behaviour is the true disgrace for the future of humanity (and judging by the criminal rate in your country i think i'm pretty right).
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:46 am Reply with quote
sailorsweeper wrote:

Oh dear this is disturbing as what.

I know when I first read that article on Dramafever, I was taken aback but not surprised (because I've heard of junior idols, but didn't know the extent of the culture in-depth). But after reading this, it's worser then I thought but now this ANN article confirmed my worse fear about junior/elementary idols. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:43 am Reply with quote
Rensie wrote:
-snip sanctimonious anti-American screed-

I honestly cannot tell if you're trolling or if you really are that bigoted. It's not just a single man from the United States who finds these practices objectionable, by the way:
Mohawk52 from the United Kingdom wrote:
For what other purposeful reason can this concept be good for?

dtm42 from New Zealand wrote:
He's not speaking for everyone - because there are creeps out there who think sexualising children is totally fine - but rather he's simply speaking the truth. No matter which society we are talking about it is not okay if they sexualise children.

kgw from Spain wrote:
Please, don't say that "the kids are doing it freely". Lots of kids go to sports, or whatever other practice for years just because their parents want them to do it. They just say "you'll start taking piano lessons tomorrow", and you take piano lessons because they are your parents and they say so.
Well, it's the same with those girls.

The Spaniard brings up another valid point. Leaving aside any discussions of sexuality, children do not have the legal agency to enter into business agreements of their own free will. This is not a uniquely American concept. It was their parents who pressured them into this, and it was their parents who signed all the paperwork... which just leads back to the issue of (ir)responsible parenting.
Rensie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:30 am Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:
The Spaniard brings up another valid point. Leaving aside any discussions of sexuality, children do not have the legal agency to enter into business agreements of their own free will. This is not a uniquely American concept. It was their parents who pressured them into this, and it was their parents who signed all the paperwork... which just leads back to the issue of (ir)responsible parenting.

How? You personally know the story of each of these idols? You know their parents and what they think?
Dude, you know nothing about them, nor the kiddos nor the parents, what you are doing is just byased speculation.
The only thing you know are these innocent videos, but ehi dancing in front of men is wrong, ohhhh a terrible crime.

Any individual is different, is just an american thing that if you are under 18 you are a retard, you don't have your own will, so you should be overprotected. Think of the children right?

Fortunately for the future of humanity the world don't spin around america. There still common sense.

But unfortunately thanks to your puritans and hypocrital people and associations (i'm not speaking about you or anyone on this forum but generally) Japan is pressured to censor and make more law against manga and anime, yes, thanks to america that like to put their nose into foreign countries and force them to align with their culture we will see more and more censorship with a terrible conseguence of the freedom of speech.
And since japanese politicians are a bunch of retards and spineless cowards (expecially after WW2) these laws are more easy to pass even if the mangakas oppose with all their forces.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:34 am Reply with quote
Rensie, if you can't stop projectile vomiting your personal prejudices and hatred all over every thread you walk into, I'm going to have to ban you. This is a warning. Next time I see another hateful screed you're out. We wouldn't allow someone to do what you're doing with regard to Germany or France or South Korea or whoever, there's no reason we have to tolerate it for America.
Rensie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:53 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Rensie, if you can't stop projectile vomiting your personal prejudices and hatred all over every thread you walk into, I'm going to have to ban you. This is a warning. Next time I see another hateful screed you're out. We wouldn't allow someone to do what you're doing with regard to Germany or France or South Korea or whoever, there's no reason we have to tolerate it for America.

When you or someone else insult and "vomiting" shit over Japan with a byased comment or a pre/review is all ok, but when someone criticize your country you come out from the shadow as a proud paladin of justice.

Fine, i'm out, and sorry for the hate (not toward anyone in this forum).
neilcfreak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:02 pm Reply with quote
What the hell is wrong with you people??? Kids like to sing dammit!!! They aren't wearing inappropriate clothing or doing anything to make them look "sexy" they are just kids!!

How dare you blame them for something they want to do!

Adults have full control over themselves and adults should be the ones punished for their crimes!
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Children should be allowed to be children, not objects on display. There's a reason so many (probably most) childhood stars end up with serious emotional problems as adults.

That seems a bit unfair. A lot of actors in general have problems, it's not limited to child stars. A lot of the actors you hear about in the news and in tabloids weren't child stars. There's also child actors who have yet to descend into being problematic adults. For every Lindsay Lohan or Miley Cyrus, you have a Dakota Fanning or Chloe Grace Moretz. Mature people who seem to have their head on their shoulders.

I think that's my issue with all these accusations. Kids should be able to do whatever they want. Can they be exploited by their parents? Sure, but fear of that is no reason to stifle their dream if they want to act or sing. As for protecting them, I think people don't give kids enough credit. Especially Japanese kids. We're talking about kids who consume shows like Fullmetal Alchemist, Detective Conan, Evangelion, One Piece, Naruto and other similar anime regularly that have to air on adult swim in America. When Hounddog got panned by critics because it had Fanning in a rape scene, most of the ire was directed at her mother who accused her of exploiting her daughter for money. Fanning got upset over that and said it was her decision to take the role. Fell on deaf ears, though, because she's just a kid. People are all for protecting kids, but they rarely seem to listen to them when it comes to issues like this. If you are saying children shouldn't be allowed to enter the acting or singing field, then I'll have to vehemently disagree.

Kikaioh wrote:
This is absolutely vile and disgusting. There isn't any context where it's okay to take elementary schoolgirls, turn them into an idol group called "Girlfriends", and market them to adult, middle-aged men. That anyone could support a business model that tries to specifically market small girls as objects of affection to adult men is nauseating, horrific, and nasty on an infinite number of levels. Vain attempts to try and lessen the stigma of the situation by saying "it's not much different in the West" just reads as desperation, trying to turn public eyes away from the stigma of Japan's growing obsession with lolis. I mean seriously - there's an industry in Japan that's exploiting little children for the twisted cravings of older men. That's horrific!

Do you have any proof they're marketed exclusively to adult men? Or is this mere overreaction that adult men also like them? Far too often I see these kinds of generalized assumption made on topics like this. People also like to call Aikatsu and similar anime otaku-pandering shows, despite the fact they're aimed at little girls and huge with girls ages 5 to 12. Merely having addition adult men fans is not reason alone to condemn something.

I find it hard to believe there's no young fans of these groups out there. It seems like they would have them since it could be seen as an inspiration for other kids to see kids their own age in the business.

-Stuart Smith
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8