• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

Saber's path was the Stay Night path (the first path)

I thought it was the Fate route/path.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:16 pm Reply with quote
^ Eh... both are the same, aren't they?

I was also disappointed that Saber is basically a secondary character with no particular depth, especially when some people say so aloud that this anime works as a sequel to Fate/Zero spoiler[when its ending is basically telling "THIS CHARACTER (SABER) 'S DEVELOPMENT NEEDS TO CONTINUE"] (FSN:UBW is too unaccessable to be stand-alone though, so it doesn't fit in anything). I don't like her arc in DEEN's anime to be honest but if they want to do something more consistent it should have been included (in the same way Rin and Archer are criminally sidelined in DEEN's anime to make no sense and uncompleted. Do consistent series Type-Moon world, please!).

Seven episodes (or fourteen half-episodes, to not confuse people) into season 2 of Princess Tutu and, oh second season praised as a masterpiece... I'm still waiting for you to come, and I'm getting a little tired of it. So many filler short adventures at this point are tiring and they're not even good enough, too many little hints of plot thickening to such a point that I'm tired of waiting because it looks everything is going to happen too late and short, the animation now recycles so much that it's distracting (geez, and they had half an episode per week, not a full one) and some plot twists come out of nowhere. spoiler[So Fakir now has a power to write and make things reality out of nowhere? When was that established or hinted before? Come on~] Still enjoying it alright, but overall so far it doesn't have that much difference of quality, and everytime I watch one episode I can't watch other until the next day because I end up a little frustrated.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:43 am Reply with quote
^ In regards to the plot twist...um...the thing is, it kind of was foreshadowed. Specifically, it was foreshadowed in the previous episode during the sequence wherein spoiler[Raetzel explains the circumstances behind Fakir's orphaning.] I'm a little forgiving for this one, because you really need to pay attention to that and a whole lot of other details to see it coming.

Now, I'm going to be completely honest when I say this; I think you are focusing way too much on pacing and plot, and as a result, you neglected to mention anything else. Yes, Princess Tutu is a slow show. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but if you're used to faster pacing, you're going to have a miserable time. With that said, there's a lot more to focus on other than "when's the next plot point gonna appear". What about the characters and their exploration? What about the major themes of love and identity? I'm glad you're enjoying the show and all, but seriously you're missing out on a whole lot of stuff because you're paying attention to this one thing and nothing else. If you follow the advice I give you, you might see why everyone is calling Princess Tutu a masterpiece. Wink
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:
^ In regards to the plot twist...um...the thing is, it kind of was foreshadowed. Specifically, it was foreshadowed in the previous episode during the sequence wherein spoiler[Raetzel explains the circumstances behind Fakir's orphaning.]

Emm, it's not foreshadowed in that episode, it's explicitly said. That's the last episode I saw, and they bring that plot twist out of nowhere. spoiler[If they're going to open such an important door for Fakir's character, I would have liked it to feel natural because when things come so out of nowhere there's the risk that I think the writers were in a corner with Fakir's character before, and I really liked him and his development and themes so I don't want to feel like that.]

I still enjoy a lot the characters and development, but when you only have veeery few bits for episode and the plot is still stuck in the episodic formula that doesn't relate that much with them, you are afraid all their development is not going to pay off (or will pay off in two seconds and that's it the end). And I don't find these new adventures that good or relevant for the characters (with exceptions: phantom knight, etc.]). 1st season combined this formula with introduction of characters, relationships, roles, feelings, etc. and the payoff of most of the adventures (returning one feeling to Mythos, which affected to all the characters and motivations), so you have material, especially characters, to be interested into, and you know it's a first season of setup. This season is the last one, and so far the formula here is "girl manipulated by Mythos, Tutu saves the day", and sometimes is fine (the episode of Rue and the other prince was so humorous I thought it was going to be the last one or second-to-last one, but nop) but aside of being things a little more tense for the villain's point nothing really changes (even from character's perspective I mean, not just plot), and the most those adventures can bring is making some few similarities with the character's thoughts back then, but it's not as much as in the 1st season, and I don't want a quick super short conclusion for the series and characters for that reason, I feel the characters deserve more and this formula is limiting them.

But that's so far, maybe in the next episodes it will get much better and I'll appreciate better these previous episodes, and that is made that way so the children audience can have a complete satisfying adventure for episode, I don't know, but that's how I feel so far. By no means bad, at all, I'm still liking it and interested, but not as great for me.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:29 am Reply with quote
^ Admittedly, my memory may be a bit faulty in regards to what happens where in this series. However, I'm pretty sure that spoiler[Fakir's backstory was in Episode 20 and that his relationship to Drosselmeyer was in Episode 21.] As someone who has seen this anime twice already, I can assure you that everything works out in the end and that the plot twist you mentioned does get explored more. I'm of the opinion that the ending of Princess Tutu is absolutely perfect, but that's just me. You're going to be in for a real treat in the final six to five episodes Wink
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I don't like the ending of Tutu all that much....but I'm not talking about the grand finale but what happens after said finale. The finale is great, of course.

As of now, I'm trying to finish up Kami-sama Hajimemashita before the second season starts. lol
Crisha

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:54 pm Reply with quote
The roles of the characters change from the first to the second season, so it sort of becomes a re-introduction. Granted, I do feel that the "Heart Shard of the Week" episodes are the weakest in each season, but each episode has its charms (I'm a big fan of fairy tales, and I love the ballet and character interactions). The last 3-4 episodes of each season are pure gold in my eyes, and I never fail to get shivers. Princess Tutu is still my favorite anime to date and I gladly give it a Masterpiece rating.

Princess Tutu is a wonderful, magical tale about stories, roles, and characters and how those characters defy or accept the roles given to them by the story at large. The show loves to play with the audiences' expectations on the roles the characters play and then change the rules of the game (i.e. Fakir spoiler[seeming to be an obvious villain becomes the Knight in the Prince and the Raven and then becomes a story-weaver... but deep down he's just an insecure kid who thinks he's weak]). The first season takes a more straightforward approach, each of them as a specific role from Prince and the Raven (spoiler[Mytho is the Prince; Rue/Kraehe is the Raven Princess; Ahiru is Princess Tutu/the dancing Swan Princess; and Fakir is the Knight]). By the second season, everything gets turned on its head and reality from the outside world starts poking through for the characters who were never originally from the storybook world (spoilers through later episodes of the 2nd season: spoiler[Mytho, the only original storybook character of the four, has his heart twisted by the Raven's blood and becomes and Raven Prince; Rue is a young girl with human parents who was kidnapped by ravens, fed on the Raven's blood, and raised as his daughter in order to lure the Prince in to giving his heart willingly to the Raven; Ahiru is just a duck who was dragged into the story by Drosselmeyer since some outside influence was needed to move the story along; and Fakir is a descendant of Drosselmeyer who also has his powers of making fantasy become reality]). I absolutely love it and I love how the series is resolved. It's perfect. I wouldn't change anything about it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:08 pm Reply with quote
I read it somewhat differently from you, willag.

I think they ARE spoiler[the characters from Drosselmeyer's story being manipulated by the clock mechanism. Prompted by Tutu, who wants more than Drosselmeyer's story allows, Fakir provides the means of breaking out of their story].

Either interpretation fits the theme of confronting fate.

To me the entire town spoiler[is within Drosselmeyer's story. To go beyond the walls is to leave the story.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

Saber's path was the Stay Night path (the first path)

I thought it was the Fate route/path.

Fate is the name of the whole work:

Fate / Stay Night
Fate / Unlimited Blade Works
Fate / Heaven's Feel

Edit: Er... What I mean is that Fate used in all three paths.
Crisha

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:42 pm Reply with quote
^Interesting interpretation, errinundra, that they are spoiler[the original characters from those stories.] I never really thought of it like that, but it's fun to play with.

To me, though, that messes up with the final message of the series, at least what Fakir and Ahiru took away from it. spoiler[Fakir is just a boy who's scared about the powers given to him and f***ing things up like he did as a kid and Ahiru is just a duck, and they accept themselves for who they are. That, despite being a duck, Ahiru can still dance, give hope, and save her friends with Fakir's help, and that Fakir can write about Ahiru to bring that final conclusion. Together, accepting who they are but still defying the larger power at large, they are stronger. How they grow and evolve together is perfect and I love their relationship by the end.] I prefer thinking them as unexceptional/scared/weak characters who were given a chance to play-act as something fantastic they wish they were more like, but in the end accept that they can still do fantastic things as themselves.

With Rue and Mytho it is a bit different. If there were any continuation to be had for Princess Tutu, I would personally like more focus on them, since I felt they took more of a backseat to Fakir and Ahiru. spoiler[Both anguish over the darkness running through their veins now provided by the Raven, who was strictly a fairytale character. And with Rue having been raised by him for so long, I imagine her storybook role is more tied to who she is than Ahiru or even Fakir's case. She's the only one who can relate to Mytho now, even though she was the cause of him becoming that way. Prince Siegfried reveals at the end that the Raven blood still courses through him and that he can never fully return to being the noble prince who loves everyone equally. I wonder if he ended up gaining any free will in his actions, being stuck in a world that was both the "real" world and the fairytale world. On the one hand, his selfishness could be perceived as some sort of free will he gained... yet it could also be the "influence from the Raven." I think it would be a very sad situation for Rue if his love for her, which it sounds like he feels defiles his character in a way, was only made possible due to the Raven's influence. Their Happily Ever After really deserves a deeper look since I feel there's a lot more there to dig into.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:07 pm Reply with quote
I recently started taking on The Skull Man because a few months back I gave the tokusatsu prologue a watch and am currently at episode 8. With stock music, constant distractions with the main plot, slow pacing, lackluster characters aside from the titular vigilante, forced philosophy that is mediocrity in execution, and little action, I can safely say this is one of the most boring anime of all time and given the amount of trash I've seen over the years that is saying a lot. Yes, lets have a story about a cult controlling a city, people that become mutants through pharmaceutical experiments, and a masked serial killer but instead of concentrating on those aspects people actually want to see lets instead focus mostly on two boring reporters with lots of slice of life moments because we can't have the audience be interested! Rolling Eyes Shotaro Ishinomori's name is attached to this, I don't know what the manga that was based off this was like, but my gut tells me they screwed up bad.

Edit: Series finished! I just finished The Skull Man......... So lets see if I get the mystery and feel free to correct me if I am wrong: spoiler[Cultists want to take over the world and use a mix of magic and drugs to turn their followers into mutants with their priestess becoming a vessel for some ritual so the leader can gain the ultimate body. A member of a rebel military faction wants to stop this so he takes a skull-like helmet the cult leader needs to control the new body and starts killing cult members because the priestess is the woman he loves]. Fine and dandy and all, but wow was it poorly explained. Episodes 10, 11, and 12 should have been what the series was supposed to be (Skull Man fighting mutants lead by a cult while lots of dark philosophy is in the background). Gotta love how the main couple suddenly don't do much of anything after episode 10 (because apparently spoiler[having sex in a tent] ruins whatever chances you have of contributing to the climax). Then came the final episode which starts out with part of the epilogue for no reason. I lost it when the final episode had the rebel military faction suddenly introduce FRIGGIN LASER SPEWING SPIDER TANKS. WHAT!? WHY!? At no point was super science or weapons introduced in this! Why were these guys even attacking the city!? I wouldn't take it too seriously if it wasn't taking up the vast majority of the last two episodes! Also spoiler[Skull Man kills his lover] because we have to be grim dark! What made this transcend the series into reviling territory was the epilogue narration of spoiler[Japan trying to become a police state due to the destruction of Otomo City (oi) and even worse going "Hayato may have been Skull Man all this time" F**K NO, YOU ARE LITERALLY INSULTING THE AUDIENCE AT THIS POINT WE HAVE SEEN THOSE TWO TOGETHER MULTIPLE TIMES! Also Kiriko has a child because why the hell not (not a flaw, I just nit pick at "guaranteed pregnancy after sex because why not" nonsense).] After the ending credits it goes off the rails with spoiler[Skull Man revealing he is the new leader of the White Bell Society.] Imagine a person becoming the leader of the organization he tried to destroy, does that sound even remotely wrong to anyone else?

1/10

Yes, seriously, third worst anime I've ever seen after Valvrave and Puni Puni Poemii. I kind of want to call it worse than Fate/Stay Night or Zero, but the endings were not this dreadful.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:38 pm Reply with quote
I finally finished Mobile Fighter G Gundam! I would've finished it sooner, but had to be bogged down by work, ugh.
Anyway, I really enjoyed it. Characters absolutely chewed the scenery in this series and it made it so much fun for me. I can definitely see that this guy also made Giant Robo because they really are rather similar in terms of over the top craziness. When I went through the notes on the DVDs, it even said at one point "this idea was meant to be in ep 3 of Giant Robo but was cut for time".
But yes, this was a giant robot show that happened to borrow the name of Gundam to sell toys or something. I've not been into Gundam much (I defer to Ryosuke Takahashi and VOTOMs for my 80s mecha space operas), but this was just over the top and fun. And despite being tournament arc, it had a lot of stuff going on not tourney related and I really wish other series that are tourney based would go off and do other things. Wether it's random training, random investigating, or fighting unrelated things, I wish more tourney series would just take a damn break from the tourney. Even during eps with a tourney fight, it might still focus on a character trying to get a one-shot girlfriend, it made the tourney not feel boring for me.
So yeah, I had a lot of fun and I enjoyed the characters. It wasn't a group dynamic I was completely used to either, they were allies, but also couldn't 100% be on the same side as they all wanted to be champion of the tourney and they seemed to interact more with their mechanics than each other much of the time. Except during important, earth important fights, then they were 100% together, either way, I enjoyed it. I also wish more mecha were piloted with a 1-to-1 sort of system for their robots, I just think it's really cool and it let them go in and out of showing them or the robots as they were basically each other at that point. So you could show either one robot helping another, or one person helping another, or switch between, and it was pretty cool.
It's not going to make any new fans of mecha or shonen, but since I'm already into both, I thoroughly enjoyed myself.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm halfway through watching Tamako Market. Tamako Kitashirakawa, who works at her father's mochi shop, happens to find an exotic talking bird named Dela. From then, life at the Usagiyama Shopping Village has gotten unpredictable and hectic.

I'm having fun with Tamako Market so far. Dela's constant trailing of Tamako and friends has led to some really amusing moments. The only one drawback that I have with this show is that it's so fast-moving there's barely any time left to see the characters' background stories. Other than that, I found it to be quite a blast.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:31 pm Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:
I kind of want to call it worse than Fate/Stay Night or Zero, but the endings were not this dreadful.

What, pray tell, was so unsatisfactory about Fate/Zero's ending? I'm just curious, that's all.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:30 pm Reply with quote
I was referring to Skull Man's ending in that sentence, Fate/Zero in general was horrific, the ending just wasn't anywhere near that caliber.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 833 of 1062