• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sunrise Partners with Right Stuf to Release Gundam Franchise Stateside

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Sweet hope they at less put some effort in there releases
partially

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Not so happy about this. Although I like Rightstuf as a shop, as a distributor I am more ambivalent. Particularly as this seems to severely reduce the chances of BD releases for these series. They do excellent DVD only release, but Rightstuf from what I have seen has little interest in the BD format. The only show that might have got one was Soranowoto, they even said was getting one, then released DVD only with no real explanation given. More recently Campanella would have likely got a BD from a different company. Even their 5 Point Pictures releases with films all seem DVD only. I can say good on them for supporting the common consumer, but still having nice high fidelity releases is good too.

I will still have hope they do some nice BD releases, in which case I will buy all the series. If not, Turn A is the only one I would get.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Bamble wrote:
However, based on past form, most Animax dubs of that vintage have never been licensed for home video.

At times, they don't even do an English translation of the end credits for some of their shows: When I've looked at the end credits for their Fairy Tail dub, it's still in Japanese. I find this weird that they would do that on a dubbed episode.
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Bamble wrote:
However, based on past form, most Animax dubs of that vintage have never been licensed for home video.

Didn't the Animax dub of Cardcaptor Sakura just get released on its new R1 boxset?
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:49 pm Reply with quote
We're finally getting Turn A Gundam!!! *flails around*

I never expected that the NYCC licensing announcement I'd be the most excited about would be for an anime instead of a manga...
theNightster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:17 pm Reply with quote
welcome back Gundam, it hasn't been the same without you.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:21 pm Reply with quote
mgo:
Quote:
Yes, Yes I do believe there is interest in this.

There might be interest, but unless fans put their money where their mouths are, that's all it is.

partially: There was never a chance for a Blu-Ray of these, unless the demand is there in the first place.
Sacto0562

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:30 pm Reply with quote
There's a reason why I think Sunrise is doing this: they already completed the English subtitled masters for Turn A Gundam but had to put the project on hold when Bandai Entertainment folded. Now that RightStuf has gotten the US license, those masters will be turned into probably two five-disc half-season sets, something like what RightStuf's Nozomi Entertainment did with Rose of Versailles.

As for the Pretty Cure franchise, I think Toei Animation is probably only shopping the first two series, Futari wa Pretty Cure and Futari wa Pretty Cure MAX HEART, for a US subtitled license. Given that Marvelous Entertainment (at that time called Marvelous AQL) completely remastered the two series I mentioned for a new Japanese-market DVD release a few years ago, Toei Animation has the masters for a high-quality US release. I would not be surprised that the license announcement happens by early 2015. If RightStuf gets the license, it will likely each season will be released in half-season box sets, similar to the Marvelous Japanese market releases.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Sacto: Depending on how much the license cost, I could see some of these shows being released in sets of three.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:33 am Reply with quote
This isn't a traditional license. Sunrise is actually releasing the show, while Right Stuf is doing the distribution. It's basically an expansion of the deal for that Gundam OVAs they were releasing. I imagine there is some sort of primarily revenue sharing deal going on here. It's probably similar to how Kadokowa USA had the licenses to shows like Haruhi and FMP TSR, but other companies did the actual distribution.

So final release formats will ultimately be up to Sunrise.
1thought

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:34 am Reply with quote
There might be issues in releasing Blu Ray.
For 1 doesn't Japan and North America carry the same region code?

They probably won't be allowed to have the Blu Ray because Gundam is a anime series that Japanese fans actually buy on video.
So they'll just import the North America Blu Rays and not buy the Japanese ones.

Or at least that's something Bandai Ent would say.

Anyways I doubt it will see Blu Ray since Rightstuff hasn't released 1 Blu Ray yet.

Also these older shows have had great remastered video in Japan already for DVD and Rightstuf for these older shows they license so far has gotten these masters.

So it might not be Blu Ray. But the DVD video quality is pretty great too.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:13 am Reply with quote
I can't imagine it's a problem for the shows that been out on BD for several years now, like Zeta and ZZ, and Char's Counterattack and F-91 have been available since early 2008. Can't imagine they'd have any fears for things that have long since been on the market, but that's different with Turn ∀.

Kind of sucks how the rest of the Sunrise mecha of the 80s will never be taken up on an offer.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:20 am Reply with quote
walw: Dunbine was dubbed, so someone has to bring it back one day.
1thought

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:04 am Reply with quote
Well since I guess it's Sunrise releasing it maybe a Blu Ray for ZZ and 0079 is possible. But we will probably just see DVDs initially though.
But people really get excited about buying when Blu Ray is offered it seems.

I just hope it's affordable like what Rightstuf has been doing with their DVD sets so like with ZZ boxset 1 eps 1-24 boxset 2 eps 25-47 for a MSRP of $50-$60. So then it's actually $37.99-$44.99 on rightstuf just like their own dvd releases.

I guess Sunrise wants the license to belong to them.

I'm with you on other 80's mecha shows with Sunrise.
I would love to see a release of Xabungle.
At one time Bandai Ent licensed SPT Layzner and Giant Gorg but then never released them.

And rightstuf has gotten some older ADV stuff like Nadesico,Dirty Pair, and Gasaraki. 2 of which is Sunrise.
So I sometimes think after they got Cat's Eye maybe they will get City Hunter. And then I think about Aura Battler Dunbine which ADV fully dubbed. So sometimes I think rightstuf is probably the only company that would grab those.
So basically older Sunrise shows it seems like Rightstuf might be the company to do it.

And speaking of other Sunrise stuff I'm suprised it took Cowboy Bebop so long to find a new home maybe a bidding war took place.
Then again although not Sunrise what about Evangelion tv series.

I wonder about Escaflowne I thought it was really popular at one time. Same for Code Geass.

But nevertheless it's about time for Gundam what was the last older Gundam Z? Right?
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:34 am Reply with quote
macattack wrote:
This is very good news. Rightstuf does a great job, and they'll make sure Gundam is well-represented here.

I hope Turn A got a dub in some form but I doubt it. Still, it's nice that Turn A will finally come out Stateside.

So do I. though I hope that ZZ gets the english dub cause it wouldnt make sense for its prequel series Zeta and the sequel movie char's counterattack to have dubs but that series doesnt. also it would be the same for Gundam Recongusita in G.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7