• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Higurashi: When They Cry GN 26

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:36 pm Reply with quote
I never understood how the Higurashi franchise alone has supported over 100 Volume of manga while telling the same barely moving tales.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Happiness for Subaru
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Are there any arcs in the manga that weren't covered by the anime and OVAs?
rainwithsunshine

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:09 pm Reply with quote
I always look forward to your reviews, Rebecca. I love them!

You are able to pinpoint what I felt, too, about the series but in a way better way than I could. I'm still sad we're over the climax of Minagoroshi-hen/ Matsuribayashi-hen as I feel that the rest kind of becomes Higurashi Spinoffs: What If's? Nevertheless, it is still a fun ride if you're attached to the characters and world.

Your reviews are a delight to read!!
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I actually heard somewhere that Ryukishi07 already had Umineko, or at the very least Bernkastel, in mind when he was in the middle of writing Higurashi. While that part is pretty arguable, remember that "Frederica" entity that showed up in the beginning of the Massacre arc, and helped explain all the "rules" of Higurashi? That was Bernkastel. Umineko never reveals this, and instead leaves Bernkastel's true origins rather vague. Ryukishi only revealed that in an interview. I'll go into more detail later on when you get further into Umineko.

I'd like to think this arc served as a nice little epilogue to Higurashi, or more specifically, Rika as a character. A shame that Higurashi Kira basically shat all over that (DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN! Evil or Very Mad).

Though, one part I'm confused about: Why did Hanyu suddenly stop having a physical form and go back to being a spirit? I never went through the manga version, only the anime, but was that ever explained there?
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:41 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:

Though, one part I'm confused about: Why did Hanyu suddenly stop having a physical form and go back to being a spirit? I never went through the manga version, only the anime, but was that ever explained there?

It is explained - something about spoiler[Rika's mother still being alive, and therefore being the incarnation of Oyashiro-sama, which doesn't allow for Rika to have the power to manifest Hanyu.] Or thereabouts - my sister has the book.

Thank you, rainwithsunshine! You absolutely just made my day and I will be smiling for the rest of it at least! Very Happy
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Happiness for Subaru wrote:

The only manga exclusive arc I know about is the Beyond Midnight Arc - but it's largely unimportant to the overall story.

If I'm remembering correctly, this should be the only one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Higurashi_When_They_Cry_chapters#Beyond_Midnight_Arc_.28Yoigoshi-hen.29
Zerreth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:12 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:

I'd like to think this arc served as a nice little epilogue to Higurashi, or more specifically, Rika as a character. A shame that Higurashi Kira basically shat all over that (DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN! Evil or Very Mad).

Kira was obviously supposed to be a joke from the the moment you saw the OP. The last episode though almost made up for the entire OVAs. ALMOST. Still waiting on Outbreak.
consignia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:35 pm Reply with quote
FlamingFirewire wrote:
Happiness for Subaru wrote:

The only manga exclusive arc I know about is the Beyond Midnight Arc - but it's largely unimportant to the overall story.

If I'm remembering correctly, this should be the only one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Higurashi_When_They_Cry_chapters#Beyond_Midnight_Arc_.28Yoigoshi-hen.29

What about the Demon Exposing Arc? It has been adapted, in the DS games at least, but not to my knowledge as an anime.
B00m23

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:19 pm Reply with quote
There's still kokoroiyashi-hen, which I really hope gets a localization, as it was never fan translated. For some reason.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:36 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
I never understood how the Higurashi franchise alone has supported over 100 Volume of manga while telling the same barely moving tales.

Because it is an adaptation of a multi hour experience of an equally extensive Visual Novel series.

In practice the fandom should pick up the 3ds/Vita versions of the material (sadly, said material is not translated out of its home language)
B00m23

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:22 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
residentgrigo wrote:

Because it is an adaptation of a multi hour experience of an equally extensive Visual Novel series.

In practice the fandom should pick up the 3ds/Vita versions of the material (sadly, said material is not translated out of its home language)

The Vita/ps3 edition hasn't been released yet, though.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:19 pm Reply with quote
B00m23 wrote:
There's still kokoroiyashi-hen, which I really hope gets a localization, as it was never fan translated. For some reason.

There's also more Higurashi manga arcs that haven't been adapted in anime:

- Utsutsukowashi-hen (Reality Breaking Chapter)
- Tsubamegaeshi-hen (Swallow Counter Chapter) (aka, the Mahjong one)

Plus tons of anthologies and other spin-offs. So far Beyond Midnight and Demon Exposing are the only ones that've been licensed in English, though. Hopefully Yen Press continues to release more!
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:29 pm Reply with quote
holy s*** its done? really?
i remember back in 2010 after reading a few books i made a promise to wait till its entirely released and then read it all at once.

wow time sure has flown since then... suddenly i feel old. well a promise is a promise better go to chapters, how many books are there now.

... 26 ... uh yeah think ill have to put this on hold till say a sale or something. a huge sale
einhorn303

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
holy s*** its done? really?
i remember back in 2010 after reading a few books i made a promise to wait till its entirely released and then read it all at once.

wow time sure has flown since then... suddenly i feel old. well a promise is a promise better go to chapters, how many books are there now.

... 26 ... uh yeah think ill have to put this on hold till say a sale or something. a huge sale

I actually bought about half the entire series this Summer when Right Stuf has a Yen Press sale. Along with a bunch of other manga, that most of my tax return went to. Totally worth it, it's a great series Smile And even as someone who's read the Higurashi VN, I still like to re-read the manga as a way to quickly re-visit the series.

It is kind of staggering to consider how it's been printed for far more volumes than anything but long-running shounen series in the US. Discounting the omnibuses, I think it's around 34-35 volumes long.
B00m23

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:39 am Reply with quote
If you guys liked Higurashi, I hiiiiiighly recommend you give umineko a try. Einhorn, I take it, has already been exposed to its awesomeness. Wink The first four arcs are almost all localized, so I'm really excited for the day when Episode 8 gets translated in its entirety. Since, there's extra stuff in it that wasn't in the original VN.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1