• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex, Key Visual Arts Announce New Project on December 22

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
buhonightblue

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
Keeping in line with KEY/Visual Arts previous adaptations, a new Angel Beats! anime by Kyoto Animation; high possibility of a 2-cour show.

I think that this is unlikely, because Aniplex don't work with Kyoto Animation. If would a new anime, the most likely is that the animation either performed by a-1.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:38 pm Reply with quote
I feel like there's a lot of misconceptions in this thread.

First of all, on what Aniplex is. They are not an animation studio. They are just the producers. They are free to use any, or at least any from a handful of affiliated animation studios.

Second, just because Aniplex is in charge doesn't mean that it will be licensed through Aniplex USA at their exuberant prices if/when it comes to the states. They keep their big hits like OreImo and Madoka but often license out a lot of their stuff to Funimation and Sentai. There's a lot of justifiable hate about Aniplex USAs prices, but Aniplex turns out good stuff.

Third, KyoAni hasn't done any KEY title since Clannad. Angel Beats! was animated by PA works, and there was another KEY title that everyone seems to have forgotten about called Little Busters that was animated by J.C. Staff. It's extremely unlikely KyoAni is doing the animation on this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:42 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
Third, KyoAni hasn't done any KEY title since Clannad. Angel Beats! was animated by PA works, and there was another KEY title that everyone seems to have forgotten about called Little Busters that was animated by J.C. Staff. It's extremely unlikely KyoAni is doing the animation on this.

So has Air, Kanon and Clannad (all by Toei Animation) and each got remade by Kyoto Animation, so the possibility isn't zero, either.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:53 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
To me they're holding the industry back by not doing enough to generate new content, foster new talent and ideas and instead just being purely profit oriented. I think they work better for people that are more hardcore otaku,

You are not alone in wanting to see more new anime properties that relies on well written stories and solid characterization instead of the same, tired otaku cliches. But I do not understand why you are demanding Aniplex to produce enlightened anime content when the rest of the big anime producers are also mostly relaying on otaku pandering to sell discs.

I subscribe to the belief that otaku-pandering content needs to be produced to sustain the industry. And to be fair, we still get at least two titles a year that are different and appeal to good story telling and characterization. I cannot complain much if each year we can still get stuff like Psycho-Pass, Flowers of Evil and the Eccentric Family.

Quote:
If people are okay with that fine, but it looks like the makings of a pretty static and streamlined market to me.

I agree with you. I am not pleased that the market is becoming more and more static and streamlined. But I am being realist and stating the facts.

I just would like it if it didn't feel like it was always them first on every license with even a hint of popularity and potential with A-1 already clearly overburdened and over scheduled. Like any time its something popular its always them which is really starting to give anime a same old same old field since their whole process is very streamlined around blitzkrieg promotions, big names and quick turnarounds. They come across as too profit oriented and like they don't give a single fudge what the end product looks like as long as it makes money.

And yeah it is was it is for sure, but I'm not going to pretend to always be all hyped up about this stuff and the current state of the industry as much as everyone else is. I just don't really buy into their hyping and approach all that much sadly.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:44 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:

Second, just because Aniplex is in charge doesn't mean that it will be licensed through Aniplex USA at their exuberant prices if/when it comes to the states. They keep their big hits like OreImo and Madoka but often license out a lot of their stuff to Funimation and Sentai. There's a lot of justifiable hate about Aniplex USAs prices, but Aniplex turns out good stuff.

That used to be the case (it was back when Angel Beats was licensed by Sentai, for instance), but not really anymore. Ever since late 2012, Aniplex USA has pretty much had a virtual lock on titles that Aniplex controls overseas. Exceptions like the Black Butler sequel still happen, but they are rare.
ZeArNkN

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:49 pm Reply with quote
What does the term "cour" mean exactly? I see it frequently on this website but can't find a definition.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:52 pm Reply with quote
ZeArNkN wrote:
What does the term "cour" mean exactly? I see it frequently on this website but can't find a definition.

It's a unit of about 12-13 episodes, used in place of "season" because with some shows "season" can mean more than that.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Assuming that this project is licensed here, I could see Sentai releasing and having Brittney Karbowski in it (she's been in the Key-related titles before which is I conclude that).
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I don't see this being any good, Key and Aniplex don't mix.
Yause

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:

So has Air, Kanon and Clannad (all by Toei Animation) and each got remade by Kyoto Animation, so the possibility isn't zero, either.

And they've consistently turned down Key ever since.

While the possibility isn't zero, the likelihood of further collaboration is slim.
Zetabag

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
I don't see this being any good, Key and Aniplex don't mix.

Any particular reason why?
Eishiro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:40 pm Reply with quote
What's so great about Angel Beats? I don't get it..
Disar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:52 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
And Key continues its search for a decent company that's not Kyoto Animation.

It's hopeless search... continues.

Sure, blame Angel Beats! faults on its runtime, its production, its plotting, its rerunning of the same old clichés that they've done before but even if Clannad did the same sort of stories and situation as Kanon, it still worked as its own show.

Are we still working on the delusion that Angel Beats was a good show? It's the one where Jun Maede became anime's M Night Shyamalan, not that he wasn't before because "twist endings" was kind of his thing, just be glad Kyo Ani dialed it back a bit.

Is it better that Angel Beats starts off with "they were dead all along"? It was a terrible idea that had "feel, don't think" written all over it. "But it could be great, they just needed more time!"

It was funny, it had good music but its core idea was that its cast all died as teenagers... kind of and then ... blank. {Should I spoiler that? The show isn't based on an afterlife, it's just... after life} Who, how, why, what and what for? Don't ask silly questions or any questions for that matter.

It's life {not}, there's no meaning to it {yes, there apparently is. How that works out after a cruel and meaningless life is anyone's guess. No, really}. The series contradicted itself so badly and so often that... well, if you saw the show, you know the ending and there's no extra run time in the world that can solve that. Not the essential paradox {not just} but that they have no chemistry. {Yuri, damn it, she's right there! She even has a backstory and character development like she mattered or something!}

A Redo? How about an Undo?

They have no choice since KyoAni is refusing to animate their works.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:55 am Reply with quote
Yause wrote:
And they've consistently turned down Key ever since.

What? First time I've seen this tidbit. Have they stated why they won't work with KEY/Visual Arts?
shiranehito

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:12 am Reply with quote
^Most of the time KyoAni says that they're too busy so they don't have any time for Key. But it was years ago before LitBus aired, so maybe now they do have a time.
(Plus for me KyoAni has been in downfall lately, so maybe they'll reconsider working with Key)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4