• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: A Certain Magical Index Novel 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:14 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
and not to mentioned that style smokes and kanzaki have some serious cleavage to be a teenager. sure there is shoukou (mental out) and fukuyousei, but there is no way she's a teenager.same with style.

I remember some kids in junior high smoking. And Kanzaki is 18 which I'd say is passable. While her bust size on some one that thin is pretty rare, its significantly more plausible than Shokuhou's considering she is roughly Mikoto's age (14).

And by the way, its Seikai no Senki (already corrected the Shokuhou, it is also Fukiyose but misspelling names I get). I don't really care whether some one uses japanese or english names, but if you are going to use romanized japanese, especially when you obviously know the english, at least get it right...

Oh and if you were just lumping them together which I've heard people do, then whatever, but Seikai no Senki isn't technically Crest of the Stars. Seikai no Senki is 'Banner of the Stars'. 'Seikai no Monshou' is 'Crest of the Stars' and I think is the prequel?
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:23 pm Reply with quote
OH&S wrote:
Buying in bulk then?

Yes, that is exactly what I'd do when the time comes. I'm going to be doing the same thing with Spice & Wolf, I may end up doing so in January. I've not seen the anime (though did recently order it), so it'll all be pretty much new to me. And I assume YenPress has gotten to a point with that series that the anime didn't touch.

I'm not an overly patient guy when it comes to this sort of situations. But, I'd much rather start getting the LNs of a series where I know that there will be newer story for me to read when I do a bulk buy.

I've done bulk buys with some completed manga, but they usually tend to be older stuff (Sumomo Momomo being one example). And, I've also waited until the final volume of some manga before going in and just buying the whole series in one go. I did that with Mayo Chiki, and I got the Haruhi manga adaption in one shot...but was able to get those as Christmas presents. Laughing

After having read the Haruhi novels, it was fun to go through the story again in the manga. Literally finished reading the manga today (got it as an early Christmas present, back in early November).

OH&S wrote:
The Anime covered up till Volume SS which is basically Volume 13.5.

You may end up waiting until mid 2018 at this pace. Sad

While 2018 does sound off putting (so did 2017), I enjoyed the anime enough to actually exercise some patience. I want to know more, and have no idea if any future seasons of anime will be made. By the time 2018 comes around, I'm sure I'll know if there is more anime to watch and where in the novels they get to...if made.

Still, I'll be keeping an eye on Yen's LN releases for this series, and now know when (in terms of volume release) I'm to jump in and start buying. Laughing
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:34 pm Reply with quote
While I've seen the anime, If I had this and saw Micah Solusod (the dubbed Touma) at a con, I'd ask him to sign this and have him write about having such rotten luck (a reference to the , at least dubbed version, of Touma's catchphrase).
barrelroller

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:14 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
While I've seen the anime, If I had this and saw Micah Solusod (the dubbed Touma) at a con, I'd ask him to sign this and have him write about having such rotten luck (a reference to the , at least dubbed version, of Touma's catchphrase).

I missed him at Otakon last year. I kind of gotten sick of waiting in lines to get autographs and whatnot, but the Q&A panels are still pretty cool. I can't even remember if he had one or not.

This also reminds me that I need to put in an order on Right Stuf for the Blu Ray release of Index.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
and there are times where people will prefer the manga and anime versions over the original source materials if its ero based and one base of my case is some of type moon's series especially FSN. we all know that their visual novels is ero and most fans hate it ,which is why instead they would prefer their alternate anime and manga version.

Categorically false. I have talked to a lot of F/SN fans who adore the original VN. In fact, based on my experience the ones that hate it are not only a minority but also a small one.

ah i never said that they disliked the visual novels in general. even i know liked the VN cause of its artwork and such. i mean by they despises the ero scenes in the VN since its originally ero which is why some of them would use other sources instead of the VN. probably why there is a crapload of FSN video games for the vita and 3DS like realta nua and a game version of heaven's feel & coming this season Hollow Ataraxia cause type moon knows that while all fans like original source material , there are some who are the new gen fans that arent fans of ero wont even touch the LN for both FSN and Hollow Ataraxia. New generation of anime fans like My sister are one of them. would like a tv series but wont touch the original source material if its ero or doesnt make sense at all when compared towards its manga or anime version.

another example is when Shuffle came to the US. while the TV series wasnt on par with other harem series like love hina and tenchi , it was popular nevertheless. however those same fans of the tv series have already said on other otaku forums that they wont even look at the original source materials since unfortunately the tv series is incomplete cause it's ero.

so while going after the original source material is the best approach to really get into the storyline, some might not go that route and stick to a manga or anime version of the OSM.

Especially if it's originally ero or if there are some parts of the OSM like style and kanzaki's age doesnt make a whole lot of sense at all and even you have to admit that their ages from the OSM dont match their appearances at the slightest which is why most people have taken the anime route and best to not know their ages if its gonna be something as ridiculous as that.

SilverTalon01 wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
and not to mentioned that style smokes and kanzaki have some serious cleavage to be a teenager. sure there is shoukou (mental out) and fukuyousei, but there is no way she's a teenager.same with style.

I remember some kids in junior high smoking. And Kanzaki is 18 which I'd say is passable. While her bust size on some one that thin is pretty rare, its significantly more plausible than Shokuhou's considering she is roughly Mikoto's age (14).

well both style and kanzaki looked like their in the mid college age which i can buy but not teenagers. also we really dont know mental out's actual age considering it was never revealed in the railgun manga and since she can control minds except for misaka's , i wont be surprised at all if it turns out she's near the same age as touma cause she instead of kanzaki have the body of an 18 yr old.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Misopup

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:00 pm Reply with quote
From my own point of view, I just wish the online SELLERS would properly list this, and other, Light Novels as such.
Quite tired of ordering what is categorized as "manga", only to find it is yet another Light Novel.
Yen Press is erqually culpable here, in that they rarely (if ever?), list their Light Novel selections as such on their web site.
I don't hate Light Novels. I'm just not interested in them.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Misopup wrote:
From my own point of view, I just wish the online SELLERS would properly list this, and other, Light Novels as such.
Quite tired of ordering what is categorized as "manga", only to find it is yet another Light Novel.
Yen Press is erqually culpable here, in that they rarely (if ever?), list their Light Novel selections as such on their web site.
I don't hate Light Novels. I'm just not interested in them.

which is another reasons why some people preferred the anime and manga over the LN. cause of the lack of interest despite being the OSM. its not that some people hate it, its not as entertaining as the manga. though there have been exceptions. however considering that the index have some things that the anime and manga versions dont have, you might have to make this exception in order to understand the series. unless their anime committee and JC Staff decides to do an anime remake where the series is more faithful towards the manga since there aint any news of a possible S3.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:09 am Reply with quote
Misopup wrote:

That's a strange one, never noticed it. I know that, in Spice & Wolf's case, Yen have clearly mark the pages for the novels and manga. Looking at the Index pages, only the manga is labelled as such, the novel page says nothing about it being the novels.

Looking at some other pages, Demon from Afar doesn't say it is a manga, Is It Wrong To Try and Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon makes no mention of being a novel, and Accel World is in the same boat as the Index series.

It wouldn't take someone long to find out for themselves if they're looking at the page for the manga or novel version of a series (if Yen has licensed both)...but it also would be good for Yen's website to have things labelled if they have already done so with some of the other pages on their site. Strange oversight on their part.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Well I guess I'll have to put this on my list of things to read regarding this franchise in general. I already put in reading time for the available volumes of Railgun. So I had been wondering when they were planning release this series.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:36 pm Reply with quote
i like Railgun(manga) more than Index.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:23 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
i like Railgun(manga) more than Index.

that's no surprising. its the same with the anime too. almost everyone likes railgun over index even though its the spinoff.

Ali07 wrote:
Misopup wrote:

That's a strange one, never noticed it. I know that, in Spice & Wolf's case, Yen have clearly mark the pages for the novels and manga. Looking at the Index pages, only the manga is labelled as such, the novel page says nothing about it being the novels.

Looking at some other pages, Demon from Afar doesn't say it is a manga, Is It Wrong To Try and Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon makes no mention of being a novel, and Accel World is in the same boat as the Index series.

It wouldn't take someone long to find out for themselves if they're looking at the page for the manga or novel version of a series (if Yen has licensed both)...but it also would be good for Yen's website to have things labelled if they have already done so with some of the other pages on their site. Strange oversight on their part.

well it could be possible that their doing the LN first then do the manga afterwards if they licensed it.

though i definitely want it to happen the chances the manga gets licensed by unfortunately kinda got slim since seven seas licensed toaru kagaku no railgun first before index got the chance to be released in the US. kinda though seven seas would have done that and the LN considering how popular both series are especially railgun. but considering that SS didn't and Yen Press licensed the LN first, it definitely makes me concerned of the chances for the manga since its as some people here says their not too interested in reading the LN of some series even though they like them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2