• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Executive: 'No New Mario Title in 2015'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:38 pm Reply with quote
What about Mario maker? Or did he just mean main line Mario titles?
Regardless, Nintendo doesn't need to annualize Mario. Those games sell well throughout the whole life of the console.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Which is sort of the pot calling the kettle black with the amount of spin off games or games with them as guest characters that Nintendo does year to year. For me Mario as a character has become every bit as stale as the constant barrage of COD and AC games. Or as stale as Sonic got for Sega.

I have to disagree. I think there's enough of variety to keep me interested in the games. New Super Mario Bros U and Super Mario 3D World were very different games and played differently. I much prefer 3D World. Even including the spin offs like Mario Kart that's also a very different game than the other two. There's might be a lot of Mario games, but they have more variety to them. They can be 2D or 3D platformers, RPGs, racing games, sports games, or something else entirely.

Covnam wrote:
What about Mario maker? Or did he just mean main line Mario titles?

Good catch! Maybe he did mean main, games because Mario Maker is still coming out in 2015. I think the most main series Mario games we ever got on a system was 3.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:16 am Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
I was mostly speaking of the few years 2011-2014 Where Nintendo released multiple Mario games:
Super Mario 3D Land
New Super Mario Bros 2
New Super Mario Bros U
New Super Luigi U
Super Mario 3D World
Admittedly the games were on different systems and could be justified, but the core mechanics were mostly the same.

Technically New Super Luigi U is just DLC for New Super Mario Bros U, but given an option physical release option. Similar to NES Remix being available on the eShop as well as in box form. The one thing I always applaud Nintendo for is they'll release physical releases of smaller games/add-ons like Luigi U, NES Remix, and Captain Toad. Other consoles probably would have made those digital-only. A lot of companies even release full size games as digital only these days. I applaud Nintendo for resisting the anti-consumer trend of companies doing digital only releases. I hate it when a game is only available as digital only.

-Stuart Smith
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:56 am Reply with quote
king 47 wrote:
Nintendo has the worst marketing of any company I know. But in this case it's not bad. He's talking about the trend is annualized games, and the criticism associated with it. He's talking to gamers more so than the general public.

Nah, SEGA's marketing is much, much worse.

AiddonValentine wrote:
Well, this is what happens when you're badly managed and have a pathetically small list of IPs to use. Seriously, what exactly does Ubisoft have IP-wise that they regularly use aside from Assassin's Creed and Far Cry? Just Dance? Rayman is once in a blue moon, Prince of Persia has been dormant for about seven years, Beyond Good and Evil is vapor ware, and a lot of their other forays into new stuff like Watch Dogs are pretty tepid. I guess there's Tom Clancy, but that encompasses a lot of properties, most of which are of dwindling success.

Activision is pretty much just CoD when they're not Skylanders and now they're trying to push Destiny. EA is a little better, mostly bolstered with their guaranteed to sell sports titles. All in all, a lot of companies just don't understand the importance of diversity.

I think it's stemming from risk aversion: Names like "Call of Duty" and "Assassin's Creed" are guaranteed sales due to a large and established base of players. A new franchise may be a success, but it's also pretty likely to flop, which is a gamble most large American game companies don't really want to take. (Or European, in the case of Ubisoft.)

This also applies to when one of these large companies brings in a small developer to make a AAA title, and if it doesn't sell, the host company dissolves the small one to recoup that money. You see it with Activision dissolving Bizarre Creations after blur didn't sell well, and with Disney Interactive ripping Junction Point to pieces after Epic Mickey didn't meet sales expectations.

As Borat said, "If this no success, I will be execute." That's the stakes involved when a small developer ties itself to a larger company. The big companies can't seem to stand to see any loss for any reason.

Nintendo functions way differently in that it constantly takes risks. That's how it got itself started in the video game business, jumping in shortly after the Video Game Crash of 1984 when the very name "video game" had a sour taste in people's mouths. Not every risk paid off, but that never deterred Nintendo.

LokiReed wrote:
So apparently, people are happy with several mario spin-off games a year, and having the rest of the catalog filled with movie games and party games? I gotta say, i doubt that.

While there aren't several Mario games a year, the answer is yes, they do. The Super Mario name has tremendous brand recognition power. It has a similar level of appeal as the above-mentioned Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed names, only it appeals to kids not desperate to look mature, parents, and young adults not into gritty brown stuff.

Games licensed off of movies sell mainly to non-gamer parents. They tend not to be good, even if the development team wanted to make a good game, due to the much shorter production cycle of a licensed game, hence their sour reputation, but they don't need to be good because they are selling to people who don't play video games. The idea is "My kid LOVES [franchise]. He or she will LOVE the video game of it too!" And for kids who don't play many video games or play only licensed games, they will love it. (If you ever get to see a little kid's video game collection, chances are it consists entirely of games based on Disney films, DreamWorks films, and SpongeBob.) I've always tried to dissuage parents from buying these games because they tend to be shoddily-made messes, with varying levels of success. Some parents decide that "Super Mario" and "Pokémon" are recognizable and great with kids and decide to give them a try. Some parents are dead-set on buying only licensed games because they do not buy any games without a precedent of something their children like or are convinced they will bore of all video games in a week regardless of quality. And some just don't want any outside interference with their purchasing decisions.

As for party games, those became something of a dead horse about halfway through the Wii's life. They came about as a misinterpretation of Wii Sports but were nevertheless very easy to market, so games like Boogie and Carnival Games became runaway successes. Even the expanded Wii audience eventually realized these games were crap though, and said games faded into irrelevance. This audience is now mostly into mobile gaming and are the bread-and-butter of companies like Zynga and King.

Something like The Legendary Starfy or Glory of Heracles, both of which were aimed outside the Nintendo crowd (as opposed to Splatoon or Bayonetta 2), would have an uphill battle to climb. They needed to establish themselves as names to sell, but they flopped because they provided no reason to their intended audience that they should be played, let alone trusted, having to start from the ground up instead of on a pedestal of a franchise's legacy. Just like EA or Activision, American consumers are also pretty risk-averse and tend not to take the dive, sticking strictly to the series they trust.
Wuvwii

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:03 am Reply with quote
Please remove this article or issue a correction. Trinen was obviously referring to 2014, as it appears that is when these questions were answered. It was only used as a different kind of example about installments of IP's not being annual after the previous two examples, ultimately amounting to saying "for the most part, we don't do that at all".

It would have been understood by anyone reminded of the information during E3 that there wouldn't be a new Mario title for 2014, but was used as an example for the readers that wouldn't have already clearly known this fact. Of all people, I don't think Bill Trinen would unintentionally break news about any future plans.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3