• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dragon Ball Z Kai Gets an Extra Slot on Adult Swim

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gasero

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:08 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand why some people are complaining about this? What about DBZ airing reruns in a primetime slot is bad? There could be potential for Adult Swim to expand its anime offerings to weekday Adult Swim
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:11 pm Reply with quote
It's because everyone has his or her own idea of how Toonami should be run and what should be on there (provided they like the idea behind Toonami at all).
FlyGuySempai

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:56 pm Reply with quote
I KNOW for a Fact...well hunch that given there sudden decrease in air time, Adult Swim is testing out airing the original Kai at 8 while eventually the premiere dubs of the Buu saga will end up debuting on Toonami, man im not stupid, it seems so obvious. They need the ratings boost after all.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:00 pm Reply with quote
The power of DBZ!

theNightster wrote:
rootsofjustice wrote:

Gonna be honest, I'd take this over more King of the Hill any day of the week. Nothing personal against King of the Hill, but Adult Swim relies on it pretty heavily.

not as heavily as Family guy though, and that show stopped being funny as soon as it came back on the air

Millions of people can't be all wrong
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:49 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
AbZeroNow wrote:
Don't care for DBZ,but if enough casuals watch it, it would be a great lead-in to doing One Piece from the beginning or maybe put up Fairy Tail on Adult Swim since that would certainly benefit from an earlier time. Of course comedies like The Devil is a Part Timer would benefit from a non-Toonami Adult Swim block since Toonami is an action block and the casuals may be inspired to become real fans when they don't watch dreck like Attack on Titan.

What defines a "real fan"?

What I meant were fans who actually support the industry by buying things(and perhaps become more invested in bringing the good stuff to Adult Swim.) Casuals at least don't exactly use the leech sites so they have that going for them. At least I'm happy with what Aniplex is bringing to Toonami(Funimation....not so much. I get that Attack on Titan is popular but I hate grimdark shows that are gore for the sake of gore.) Kinda sad that Toonami thinks Ranma 1/2 is "too old" for the block when it is a great comedic title.
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:51 pm Reply with quote
FlyGuySempai wrote:
I KNOW for a Fact...well hunch that given there sudden decrease in air time, Adult Swim is testing out airing the original Kai at 8 while eventually the premiere dubs of the Buu saga will end up debuting on Toonami, man im not stupid, it seems so obvious. They need the ratings boost after all.

Thing is, Toonami only started Kai a few months ago, and at the rate they're going, they won't reach the Buu saga until around October of 2016.

While Toonami isn't entirely above skipping episodes (they skipped to episode 207 of One Piece), they've taken a firm stance against skipping any episodes of a show once they've started it. Unless Funimation makes them an offer they can't refuse, I don't see Toonami jumping ahead to Buu and throwing the rest of the original run of Kai out of the block.
infamoustakai

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:03 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
I wonder if it isn't being treated as something of a test for an earlier anime block. I mean, if the historically most successful anime to air on the network doesn't do very well earlier in the evening, then it would be a decent indication that it isn't worth moving Toonami to an earlier time. .

Exactly what I was thinking. A big complaint about Toonami's ratings is the fact that it's just on too late for a lot of people. And now with the recent cut, it's even more so. Perhaps they've seen enough people complain about its time and are going to test the waters with the tried and true DBZ.

If it does well enough, this could mean big things for Toonami. Earlier time, more slots, chances for better ratings.
FlyGuySempai

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:44 am Reply with quote
veemonjosh wrote:
FlyGuySempai wrote:

Thing is, Toonami only started Kai a few months ago, and at the rate they're going, they won't reach the Buu saga until around October of 2016.

While Toonami isn't entirely above skipping episodes (they skipped to episode 207 of One Piece), they've taken a firm stance against skipping any episodes of a show once they've started it. Unless Funimation makes them an offer they can't refuse, I don't see Toonami jumping ahead to Buu and throwing the rest of the original run of Kai out of the block.

Its DBZ, people have seen it a million and 2 times, i dont think anyone would care about skipping to the Buu saga, and most people seen the original Kai anyway
Stealth00

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:10 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

theNightster wrote:

not as heavily as Family guy though, and that show stopped being funny as soon as it came back on the air

Millions of people in comparison to several hundreds of millions
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:00 am Reply with quote
Stealth00 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Millions of people in comparison to several hundreds of millions

Most of whom have no opinion on the matter.

Yet still doesn't invalidate that millions of people can't be all wrong.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:34 am Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
I don't understand why some people are complaining about this? What about DBZ airing reruns in a primetime slot is bad? There could be potential for Adult Swim to expand its anime offerings to weekday Adult Swim

Yeah, I don't see it as a bad thing. Sure, it will be reruns, but reruns of DBZ probably have a better shot at getting decent enough ratings to justify moving Toonami to an earlier time than anything else. I think this is a sign that adult swim is willing to give this a real chance. It would be easy for them to go with something else that was never going to see DBZ ratings no matter when it aired and have them say, "See, anime was never going to work at that time slot." If DBZ reruns means that there is at least a shot at Toonami expanding or shifting to more productive time slots, than so be it.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind this. I'd love to see anime in the primetime hours again, and this could be a great first step into trying that. Plus, gives my husband and I something to watch at 7pm on Saturday nights, since usually there isn't much on that we enjoy. Having only 35 channels and most of them being crap doesn't help of course. :p
vangelionite88

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:50 pm Reply with quote
oh god the casuals will be all over this, the majority of the dbz fanbase is anyways. they make japan think all the U.S cares about is watching dbz....

well on the brightside..... i haven't seen an anime show on AS at the 8pm slot in YEARS.... i think ill actually watch. fudge family guy, american dad, cleaveland show.... makes AS look like a goddamned fox substation.
xXInfinite026Xx

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:24 pm Reply with quote
rootsofjustice wrote:
firedragon54738 wrote:
Sigh anther dumb move

Gonna be honest, I'd take this over more King of the Hill any day of the week. Nothing personal against King of the Hill, but Adult Swim relies on it pretty heavily.

Maybe they should combine the two...

leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:55 pm Reply with quote
vangelionite88 wrote:
well on the brightside..... i haven't seen an anime show on AS at the 8pm slot in YEARS.... i think ill actually watch. fudge family guy, american dad, cleaveland show.... makes AS look like a goddamned fox substation.

They bring in huge numbers constantly though, which is where the money lies. The only other programs they have that bring in comparatively large viewership are Venture Bros. and Rick and Morty.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3