• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Check Out Joseph Kahn and Adi Shankar's Incredible Power/Rangers Short Film While You Stil

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:02 am Reply with quote
If this gets deleted, at least I've been alerted to it and have downloaded it through ClipConverter in case anyone else wants to see it.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:51 am Reply with quote
It's early in the morning here in Florida, wind is howling because the latest winter storm - more deep freeze for the ConUS - is spending it's last energy going down the peninsula. So, I watched the short with the sound turned off in order to not wake any of the rest of the family up. It didn't need any dialog or sound FX to get it's story told.

I watched MMPR and it's sequels with my sons, so I'm familiar with the story lines and characters. Yes in the real world something like their adventures would be horrific, there is a reason why people try to avoid fighting so hard. And why it is a tragedy when they can't.

I'm sure that Saban will fume about this, even though the old adage of "Any PR is Good PR" will apply.

In the end I could have done without it, but it didn't harm me and likely won't hurt anyone else. Might even make a few people think for a change.

Mark Gosdin
Seif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:14 am Reply with quote
Great Rumbler wrote:
Seif wrote:
Ugh this was awful edgetastic crap. It looked slick as hell, but the dialogue and acting was so so bad.

That's...kinda the point? It's a commentary on pointlessly edgy reboots of shows aimed at children, and also how those same kid's shows featured quite a bit of glorified violence [just done in a colorful, bloodless way]. It's definitely not supposed to be taken seriously.

Maybe it's because I'm not familiar with this guy, but judging from the interview this does not seem to be intended to be satire at all.

It's clearly not directed "bad acting." It was just...bad acting.

It seems to be a giant "wouldn't this be awesome" kind of creation. But it's not.

-edit-

In fact, his recent interview linked in the article confirms this.

Quote:

“I just wanted to make Power Rangers good for once,” Kahn told Deadline. “It’s kind of a silly franchise. It was an experiment in tone; it was a challenge. I took the silliest property I could think of and tried to see if I could make it serious enough.”

So yeah. Not a fan.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:07 am Reply with quote
Judging by the guy's other works (the most notable being Dredd), I'd say there's a hint of satire coupled with him exploring actual problems with the concept.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:14 pm Reply with quote
While the dialogue was a little clunky, I had fun watching it. It may not be to everyone's tastes, but that is normal for many creative projects. In no way did I take this as solely a straight up story. I felt there was satire there intended or not. To me its not much different than an AMV or the Hitler movie videos where they change the subtitles (laughed at the Prometheus one a lot). I can understand companies wanting to protect their brand though, but on the other hand they sometimes go a little too far protecting it as well.
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Judging by the guy's other works (the most notable being Dredd), I'd say there's a hint of satire coupled with him exploring actual problems with the concept.

Adi Shanker had minimal impact on Dredd (2012). The creative genius that went into that film can be atributed to Alec Garland, John Wagner and the mighty Urban himself GETTING the character and his world mythology.

Shanker made a shitty Judge Dredd animated web series centered on Judge Death a few months back and we've all tried our hardest to forget it existed in the first place.
Flah

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:15 pm Reply with quote
It's clear to me that Tommy only wound up siding with the Machine Empire because he was gradually driven insane by the constant buzzing and whirring coming from his leg. Seriously, put some soundproofing on that thing!
TheOtakuX

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:07 am Reply with quote
[quote="shamisen the great"]Power Rangers is basically already a bootleg of Super Sentai, so Saban should lighten up.[/quote]

The difference being Saban PAYS Toei to use Super Sentai, wheras neither Saban nor Toei saw any money for this, or even gave approval (and Saban HAS given approval to fan projects before, since according to JDF Saban approved of the Superpower Beatdown videos, or at least the Green Ranger one).
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:36 am Reply with quote
Fan works like this drive the fan community and Saban is being fascistic in its overzealousness here. Copyright dragons are ruining YouTube and fan videos. Can these corporations get any greedier?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Running Wild

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:51 am Reply with quote
Wait... Saban still exists?

Laughing
mgosdin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:52 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Can these corporations get any greedier?

Yes.

Mark Gosdin
Yadilie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:18 am Reply with quote
shamisen the great wrote:
Power Rangers is basically already a bootleg of Super Sentai, so Saban should lighten up.

Pretty much what I was thinking when I saw the word Saban pop up.
TCJJ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:39 am Reply with quote
Regardless of the quality of the video, this is stupid and, surprise, so is Saban. They always make dumb decisions. This is another in a long line of them.

I'm surprised they haven't managed to completely ruin Dino Charge yet. I assume the interns and some of the new staff are giving the old guys some quality content, although they're still trying to find ways to screw it up.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:48 am Reply with quote
By this logic, you should be taking down fan stories.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:05 am Reply with quote
Those people were stupid enough to include the words "Bootleg Universe" in the title and use characters from MMPR. Saban has licensed this thing and has every right to exercise its rights for it. When you have Power Rangers killing people left and right, of course they are going to.

Shankar's attempt cloak himself in "internet freedom" and "homage" is moronic. Copyright actually does mean something and what he did has no meaningful connection to what Power Rangers or Tokusatsu has been doing for decades. He made his "edgy" film about Power Rangers because he knew he'd get publicity, and that entitled self-serving statement is just an attempt at more of it.

There have been times when creative fan films have been taken down and that's been unfortunate. This is not one of those times.

This, by the way, is priceless:

Quote:
Films like my Power/Rangers “Bootleg” are vital expressions of creativity in our troubled world.

Ah yes: my dark and gritty fan film based on a global brand is just the creative kind of film needed for dark times. Please.

Last edited by GWOtaku on Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:14 am; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4