• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Disposable Heroes

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:30 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Sturgeon's Rule, of course. For every breakout show like Gargoyles, you had at least five or six shows nobody liked and thus nobody remembered, like Hyperman or Santo Bugito.

Those titles sure do sound awful.

- searches encyclopedia to sate curiosity -
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:01 am Reply with quote
Murder, She wrote:

In fact, Ori and the Blind Forest is not so heavily inspired by Ueda's games. One gets a distinct Shadow of the Colossus sensibility from the giant, steel-masked owl glimpsed in the trailer, but other sources come through much stronger. The creators cite Ghibli movies and The Iron Giant in their inspirations for the game's glowing forest environments, where a foxlike forest spirit sets out to find his proper place in the world.

Yeah, the fully orchestrated cinematic score on a 2D hand-painted forest look reminded us of a benevolent Princess Mononoke forest with the white Kodama tree spirits. Cool

(Plus, the giant black owl nemesis' name is "Kuro" - the Japanese word for the color "black.")

I mean, look at that. That's like the lake island scene in Princess Mononoke. When we saw that, we were immediately like, we know where that's from! Laughing

E.Fabio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
DRAGON QUEST HEROES: THE DARK DRAGON AND THE WORLD TREE CASTLE
[...]
Domestic Release: The PlayStation 4 version will arrive here later this year, but the PlayStation 3 game stays in Japan. Square Enix mentions that a localization would take longer if both releases were brought over. I wonder if similar reasons kept them from putting Final Fantasy Type-0 on the Vita.

The game director explained here why Type-0 HD is not coming to PS Vita a while ago:
http://kotaku.com/eight-big-final-fantasy-type-0-hd-questions-answered-1628600728

Quote:
"We did consider whether a Vita version would make sense for the title or not," Tabata said. "And then afterwards—this is actually something I realized after creating the PSP version—in order to really bring out the best in this title, I felt that a bigger screen would be more appropriate in terms of the depth that it provides and the distance you have to the enemies, to the characters. It just made more sense to take it to the big screen.

"In terms of controls, also, it made more sense to have these sort of intuitive controls that are available for the console. In addition to that, I am aging as well, and my eyesight is getting worse, so it was easier, naturally easier to develop something for the bigger screen versus the smaller screen."

Tabata says they have no plans to release an English PSP version digitally, either. "That is not being considered," he said when I asked. "First and foremost, we want to get the packaged version to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One."

I hope it was useful information for you, Todd.
KowKow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What channel and time slot did the Dragon Warrior show air on? Considering shows from that time rarely fell off that quick (though it certainly did happen), if a show failed to find an audience, it's either because it's on a channel no one cared about like TBS or USA (though The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog did decently rerun there), or it was up against some tough competition, airing at the same time as a more popular show (which I'd argue is what ultimately did Digimon in, as Fox kept putting it at the same time as Pokémon).

It aired back on syndication way back in 1990. I remembered waking up at 5 am (terrible time slot) to watch this. No wonder its run didn't last very long. I'm surprised that Todd didn't mention the Dai no Daibouken anime that ran in Japan from 1991-1992. Dai's (the main protagonist's name) adventures did get a fansubbed treatment, but only for 13 episodes. That one I would like to see the full 52 episodes for.
kazume

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:24 am Reply with quote
Got my Atelier copy coming in the mail pretty soon. Collectors edition baby, they're back!
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:56 am Reply with quote
KowKow wrote:
It aired back on syndication way back in 1990. I remembered waking up at 5 am (terrible time slot) to watch this. No wonder its run didn't last very long. I'm surprised that Todd didn't mention the Dai no Daibouken anime that ran in Japan from 1991-1992. Dai's (the main protagonist's name) adventures did get a fansubbed treatment, but only for 13 episodes. That one I would like to see the full 52 episodes for.

Yeah, if it's 5 AM, I could see why it had problems acquiring an audience. I don't think the kids would want to get up earlier than they'd normally get up for school. (That being said, some of my school years had the bus arrive at my stop as early as 4:35 AM, but I think I was an anomaly.)
DKL

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:52 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Quote:
Fans remain divided between those who disliked the game and those who just disliked the bratty new Dante

What about the third camp that genuinely liked the game and Dante?

I'm actually just playing Devil May Cry 3 seriously for the first time (I just got done with Very Hard, which was actually pretty easy outside of the final Vergil fight... Dante Must Die is pretty stupid because the enemies can devil trigger and I'm staring at the laser enemy while strumming the damn guitar weapon for like 3 minutes... I have no idea why anyone would think that this stuff is fun).

Despite everyone's reverence for the game, there's actually a lot about the thing that sucks (camera, terrible platforming and puzzles, some truly disposable/awful enemy game design). From this era, I would have probably leaned heavily towards God Hand, which has a lot less fat in comparison.

In the grand scheme of things, I would lean heavily towards Bayonetta.

I'm actually looking forward to playing DmC for the first time, especially with the changes they're implementing and at the prospect that someone at Ninja Theory potentially realized how awful a lot of parts of 3 were (yes, I enjoy running around a several story building not knowing what to do or where to bring random key items).

As for the character, I have no real opinion, especially considering that, at the end of the day, it's probably comparatively less interesting than the actual gameplay (it took like 20 hours, but I can actually consistently do jump-cancel combos now... I'm hoping to take this with me into the DMC 4 remaster, which looks like it has a pretty glorious combo system).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2