• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Tragically Unlicensed Shojo Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thennarynak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:58 pm Reply with quote
lys wrote:
I may be part of the problem: I'm the obvious target of shoujo and josei media, buying dozens of shoujo manga series in English and Japanese, but I don't care about anime and don't typically buy more than... like, 1 series a year? Even if I think it's a great series, I rarely get farther than a few episodes in before I either buy the manga (if available) or add the manga to my own personal tragically-unlicensed list (or add it to the list and buy it in Japanese, if I'm really determined).

I do wonder if this is a sort of trend (rather than just my individual preference), since even in Japan the anime that gets produced leans more heavily toward a male demographic, while manga seems like a fairly even split (or at least, there's such an abundance of manga for everyone, no demographic is lacking in content).

I think it is important to note that it is more likely for a shoujo/josei manga series to get a live action drama series adaption than an anime adaption, especially if it is romance with few or no fantasy elements to it. For example, Hana Yori Dango got two seasons and a movie for its drama adaption, HanaKimi was adapted twice as a drama, Otomen had a drama and Ouran High Host Club as well. And then there are plenty of series that are not well known in the West that have had drama adaptions, or live action movies. So I think the tendency to go live action over animated for manga for girls/women is why there is less anime for women compared to men.
lys

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I've noticed that too. Maybe it's the relative realism of many shoujo/josei series being easier to adapt to live action, or the stigma of anime as nerd-culture/kid stuff even in Japan. I do also see some lines between shoujo manga magazines that skew toward the more geeky storylines and tropes, vs the real-life dramas, so I imagine that manga (and live-action) of the latter type are intended for a more mainstream audience. We also don't see many seinen salaryman/etc anime adaptations :)
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Coincidentally, I was trying to find the 15 Saint Tail dubbed episodes that TokyoPop released (another Saint Tail dub was done in the Philippines I think).
grooven

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Every list, nobody is ever satisfied Laughing
Antonio Bravo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:30 pm Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
Every list, nobody is ever satisfied Laughing

UTB Hollywood has a show ANN forgets: the Anime called Showa Monogatari(Or Memories of Family). I doubt that this earns love to us Los Angeles people. I wish UTB is on Dish Network. Anyone want that anime? A Dubbed Documentary would be great in america. (Bandai returns from the dead 5 years later) Laughing Sad
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Showa Monogatari, huh? That's one of the few shows I've ever watched other than maybe Bartender that targeted an audience of people over fifty. It's a nostalgic reminiscence of 1964 Tokyo before the Olympics began. I can understand why it might be carried on UTB Hollywood.

rizuchan wrote:
Speaking of Hataraki Man, I desperately want to watch it but I can't even find fansubs of it anymore.

Google is your friend.

One other shoujo work that has sadly gone out of print is Saiunkoku Monogatari. Funimation distributed what was left of Geneon's inventory when the latter closed up shop on this side of the Pacific.

I've given up waiting for Nodame Cantabile. I do wonder why the Animax dub isn't released in R1, but I hear that music rights issues may be part of the problem. Sony did license it to Siren Visual for an R4 release last December, though, but there remains no word of any release in R1.

Last edited by yuna49 on Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:56 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
I put in Claire Stanfield from Baccano in the assassin's poll, for reasons that should be obvious if you've seen the show.

The only Shojo anime that I've ever enjoyed, that I can remember anyway, would have to be Ouran, though I might check out Chihayafuru one of these days.

Same here. Claire just had to be my choice.

I can't recommend Chihayafuru heavily enough. It blew me away with the heartfelt story lines and complex, poignant characters. Oh how I want to own this series in all its iterations; anime, manga, absolutely everything.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:31 pm Reply with quote
YumeHunter wrote:
Chihayafuru is not shoujo, it's josei.

Agreed. There is a difference. -_- Chihayafuru is not aimed at younger girls. It doesn't run in Ribon, Nakayoshi, or something like that.
If we're talking about shojo, yeah, Saint Tail, but also things like Mermaid Melody and Tokyo Mew Mew, Wedding Peach, maybe even Ojamajo Doremi. Man, all I'm listing is magical girl. o_O; I mean, I would give Maid-sama as an example, but that's already licensed.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:33 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
I expected to see "never licensed" shows (like Hurse Angel, or Precure or Red Riding Hood ChaCha) rather than mostly "lapsed licenses". Confused

I have to agree with this. Nothing tragic about a show being released in the US in it entirety on DVD, which goes for Hana Yori Dango, Marmalade Boy, and Saint Tails. I actually have all three sitting on my shelves.

This list really should only include shows never released, or only partial released, can't really think of any shoujo but shonen has quite a few shows like Shaman King and MAR that were only released for one or two volumes and then abandoned.
mandisaw

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:36 pm Reply with quote
I've seen and enjoyed Hataraki Man and ParaKiss, and HanaDan was basically my obsession for several years. I had a lot of friends who were batty for Marmalade Boy back in the day, and my aunt raves about Chihayafuru, so I've been thinking about checking that out... right after I finish Hikaru no Go. LOL

My tragic/want list:
Never-released: Basara, Nodame Cantabile, Skip Beat
Incomplete: Child's Toy (Kodocha), Saiunkoku Monogatari
OOP: Please Save My Earth, Gravitation(?), Tokyo Babylon (really all the non-X CLAMP Campus stuff)

I went looking up the in-print status of things, and was glad to see how much stuff is still available, either via Funi's SAVE collection or various Limited Edition/Box Sets. There's also a contingent that seems to be streaming-only (not sure about download-to-own), so at least that's *something*.

thennarynak wrote:
lys wrote:
I may be part of the problem: I'm the obvious target of shoujo and josei media, buying dozens of shoujo manga series in English and Japanese, but I don't care about anime and don't typically buy more than... like, 1 series a year?

I think it is important to note that it is more likely for a shoujo/josei manga series to get a live action drama series adaption than an anime adaption, especially if it is romance with few or no fantasy elements to it.

This has been a beef/peeve of mine for a lot of years. I've shifted my buying habits, but when I bought DVDs regularly, a big part of my decision-making process was whether the series was complete, affordable, and oftentimes if it had a good dub. Fansubs are cool, but an awesome dub is a strong purchase motivation. Shoujo series were/are less likely to be licensed in the first place, but even when they were, they didn't get discounted at retail as often, and rarely got a dub (even now).

In conversations on the topic, I tend to argue that (a) US distributors should take a serious look at the shoujo/josei live-action drama market, and (b) DVDs may not be the big-seller, but merchandise sure is/would-be. I don't own DVDs of all my favorites, but hell if I don't have some kind of merch for like 70% of it (if I could find it).

{Edit: We prefer it if users do not post consecutive posts when 1 post will suffice. I merged your 2 posts together for you. Thank you. ~ Psycho 101}
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:41 am Reply with quote
Oh, yeah, Nodame! Crackle has the dub (which is excellent), but there are 2 seasons as yet unaccounted for in any format.

Frankly, I'm really glad we have Princess Jellyfish, with its spectacular release that included its OVA shorts and a fantastic dub. It's just the type of show that would usually be disregarded
as unsellable in the North American market (see how the manga is unlicensed despite multiple fan requests). I think we were lucky to get it right at the start of the simulstreaming movement. Maybe if Hataraki Man had come out just a few years later, we would have gotten it, too (streaming, at least)

I voted for Golgo 13. Never read the manga or saw the anime, but his reputation precedes him!
supersqueak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:56 am Reply with quote
Oh my gosh I feel so stupid right now. I had no idea they were making a Boys over Flowers sequel and that it was out already. Geez I am so riled up now cause I finished the first three chapters already and I just want more. I miss the F4 though I am enjoying it okay the way it is but how could it measure up to the original? I wonder what the twist here is because it seems to have like the exact same premise as the original. That has to be some kind of ruse right? I dunno I think the original manga is about as good as shojo manga can ever get but I need to consume more I hope the original cast pops up soon. Shocked Sorry got off topic kinda but I am in a haze right now.
Randamo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:40 am Reply with quote
I feel like Chihayafuru and Paradise Kiss don't really belong in this list.

I mean, sure, I'm from Australia and I can buy them easily, but I don't see why it's such a barrier for anyone else. I've had to import heaps of American anime they don't have over here. If you really want the series, it's just a matter of paying a bit more than usual.

I think it's awesome that Australian companies exist that will licence a series that otherwise would have been ignored by the American licensers.

And yes I totally want Boys over Flowers re-released. Even with the weak ending. I can't stand reading manga anymore.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:10 am Reply with quote
Please forgive me from quoting my own post from the Coolest/Biggest Bad-ass character tournament from 2011.

errinundra wrote:

Kirika
Reason: I’ve always been intrigued about the total body count in this series [Noir] so the tournament has become an excuse to re-watch my favourite scenes all over again. Through the course of 26 episodes I’ve counted a definite 149 victims for Kirika. On top of that there are a further 30 that are killed by the Mireille / Kirika pairing but cannot be assigned with certainty to either individual. For the record Mireille accounts for 73 on her own and Chloe (in fewer episodes) 35. Assorted other Soldats members are responsible for a certifiable 73 (yes, the same as Mireille on her own). This is a grand body count of 360. In actual fact, somewhat more people die, as it is often difficult to tell how many mooks there are in some scenes. (Note: many scenes are replayed in Noir - I did not include any replayed deaths in my count.)

I pity the poor Paris police department.

On top of the various weapons used by Kirika as mentioned in the write-up you can add a pick and a sword. For further examples of Kirika awesome I recommend this page from tv tropes. For me, Kirika's "Crowning Moment of Awesome" is her gun battle with the triad force on the steps of the Chinese temple. You can count 38 triad grunts: two escape, Mireille lures three others away (what happens to them is never shown) and Chloe kills six. That means that Kirika accounts for 27 in a face-to-face shoot out on the steps.

To quote Mireille, "…I’ll acknowledge your skills too. Your ability to kill surpasses even mine. You are a splendid assassin, and… You are a disturbing enigma."

I really couldn't see the Gunslinger Girls matching it with Kirika. They are machines. She is a freak. Her resourcefulness when it comes to murder is unmatched. And, unlike the Gunslinger Girls, Kirika does most of her killing under extreme pressure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:25 am Reply with quote
{I have removed your post due to your blatant rudeness & belligerence towards Lynzee. You can disagree with the selections or the list itself, but you will do is in a civil manner. You've been warned before, recently and further in the past, in regards to being rude or belligerent towards other users. Play nice or don't post. ~ Psycho 101}
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7