• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Anime Studios' Success Calculated Based on 10 Years of Disc Sales

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:11 pm Reply with quote
RejectedShadow wrote:
Nichijou sold pretty bad if I remember correctly?
Not particularly, it averaged 3,020.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Wow only 7 studios sell well enough to do 50% of there animes it kind of wonders why Hideaki Anno saying anime is dying if you look at those numbers

Kind of wonder what 2 animes KyoAni made didn't sell so well and Poor Sunrise 9th not even one
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:18 pm Reply with quote
This is one of the most utterly assine, unscientific, and clearly designed to make things look a certain way style of measuring studio disc sale success that I have seen in a while. First of all what's up with the breaking up of Sunrise into it's constituent studios and then cherry picking the weakest one in 9 to put at the top to make the studio look bad. This is the studio historically has put out the most 10K hits in the last decade, far dwarfing what anyone else has achieved. They have the best selling anime of all time, the best selling BD volume of all time and myriad successes under their belt all within the last decade yet we're going to pick their weakest studio and put them at the top of the bottom ranked list....because?

Meanwhile we're going to make a very specific arbitrary cutoff of 3,000 for whatever unstated reason and take a studio that has never sold below it because they have a certain level of support base and work hard at the moe demographic to maintain it along with the benefit of having very few titles produced (amazing that they've only done 20 but have been around since the 80's) that are always laser targeted at the core collector/buyer base just so they can put them at the top.

This list has absolutely no scientific or even logical basis in anything, it's just the sort of baiting I'd expect from the source Yara-On! so really it hardly comes as a surprise. It just annoys me that ANN is constantly spreading this click bait nonsense and stacked statistics that are clearly designed to make things a certain way though really I'll qualify that with saying I don't expect any better, but at least I do know better.

Besides as someone else has stated in this current age studios are less important and relevant than the production committee system which is the sort of thing Anno was talking about so trying to tie his recent comments to this sort of arbitrary nonsensical statistical categorization is kind of a joke really. They're completely unrelated.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Please do keep in mind that Kyoto Animation usually only produce 1-3 shows a year, so they have to be very selective to the works they want to adapt (except Tamako Market, which is an original series). In most cases, they are not hired by the production committee like other companies, since they are usually the main investor in the committee, which can be very financially rewarding and risky.

On the other hand, as a IG fan (pretty sure I am in a very small minority Embarassed ) I am very pleased with IG's sales performance. Usually they are a part of the production committees so they can benefit from the overall profits.

That being said...

I am extremely concerned with Wit Studio right now, because as IG's 100% stock-holding subsidiary, Wit's Rolling girls sold horribly and it seems Seraph's sales will be a nightmare as well (a 2-cour show too~!)
This fiscal year isn't a good one for IG, that's for sure (only Kurobasu 3 and Haikyuu 2 will have the chance to become the saving graces)
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:21 pm Reply with quote
There really isn't that much overlap in terms of anime genres that the most successful companies made to account for this. Just from a quick wikipedia search, most of the animes made by Kyoto are comedy/slice-of-life animes while the animes released by JC Staff are Romance/Action/Adventure genres, while PA Works mainly releases Dramas.

In my completely uninformed opinion, I think maybe the unsuccessful studios are unsuccessful because they took chances or experimented with different animes, genres, formulas, storylines etc while the successful studios didn't. Just from the studios I'm most familiar with, Manglobe, Gainax, and Madhouse certainly had outlier shows.
Selipse

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:27 pm Reply with quote
At first I thought Tamako Market and Nichijou were the two KyoAni failures (although Nichijou is the complete opposite of failure other than in sales), but looking at this page, it seems both did sell more than 3k average. Nichijou barely did it, though (3,020). The only failure listed there is Munto with measly 449. I wonder what's the other one being taken into account here. Maybe it's really just Nichijou?

And what about Sunrise studio 8?
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
I just thought of this, but doesn't the success of anime also depend on which manga (or light novel, game, etc.) the studio decides to adapt? The more popular the original material is, the more popular the anime will be, right?

YMMV, we have manga series like Attack on Titan that became even more popular after the anime and very popular manga that sold poorly as an anime (TWGOK anyone?)

Last edited by mangamuscle on Wed May 27, 2015 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:37 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
The other title for KyoAni must have been Munto. No one remembers Munto.
This makes me so sad. I loved Munto Anime cry.

This list looks pretty much spot on to me. My favorite studios in almost the exact order. KyoAni puts MONEY into their works. Their works(And P.A. Works's backgrounds at least) clearly have a lot more dedication in them than most other studios. It probably helps they do so few shows but they're my Gods.

Where's ufotable? I know most people forgot their shows that existed before 2007 and I'd assumed their stuff after did pretty well...especially the FATE stuff.

edit: dumb phone wrote "worsts" instead of "works"

Last edited by Kougeru on Wed May 27, 2015 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hyro_10

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
Please do keep in mind that Kyoto Animation usually only produce 1-3 shows a year, so they have to be very selective to the works they want to adapt (except Tamako Market, which is an original series). In most cases, they are not hired by the production committee like other companies, since they are usually the main investor in the committee, which can be very financially rewarding and risky.

Do you know any other studios that aren't hired by a committee?

Glad Bones is in the top 10. I'll always love you Bones even though you've been making me cry recently.
bigivel

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

Where's ufotable? I know most people forgot their shows that existed before 2007 and I'd assumed their stuff after did pretty well...especially the FATE stuff.

edit: dumb phone wrote "worsts" instead of "works"

Ufotable did 5 TV series since 2005, 10 OVA, 11 movies.

Now, if we're just talking of TV series 2(4 if counted split cours) get more than 3k. This is 40%, just above the worse, but below the best.

Note: After 2007, in terms of TV shows, Ufotable only did Fate!
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:13 pm Reply with quote
MADHOUSE in the least category is disturbing... True, they've released flops in the span of 10 years but they also made lots of better than very good titles...

I'm not surprised that GAINAX, GONZO and TMS got lesser sales. Lately, I think they don't how to make an anime anymore. DEEN is still there, with enough good series coming up, I hope they can come back again.
manapear

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Kyoani sells well most of the time, A-1 is doing good as well. DEEN should stop adapting shoujo, no wonder they have a lot of flops, shoujo anime doesn't sell well, although they did make Jewelpet enjoyable for me again. Sunrise's 9th studio should be on the chopping block, it's a complete failure.

Lol, how many shoujo/josei works do you think they've made?
It's very recent for them to do so many at a time, and given how wide of a selection they have, those shoujo adaptions are the least of their problems.

I can guess where a lot of SHAFT's sales come from~.

Good for KyoAni, I suppose. I wonder how much of it is owed to Free!.
It'd be interesting to see how licensing and merch also factor in.
Team Rocket Elite

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Kyoani's 20 series since 2005:
24327 - Air
6376 - Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid
42756 - Haruhi
18170 - Kanon
30074 - Lucky Star
24943 - Clannad
19992 - Clannad After Story
449 - Sora wo Miageru Shoujo no Hitomi ni Utsuru Sekai (Munto)
43877 - K-On
19052 - Haruhi S2
39472 - K-On 2
3020 - Nichijou
10044 - Hyouka
15797 - Chuunibyou
3811 - Tamako Market
29108 - Free
4501 - Kyoukai no Kanata
7054 - Chuunibyou 2
21604 - Free Eternal Summer
6576 - Amagi Brilliant Park

Bonus:
14641 - Suzumiya Haruhi-chan no Yuuutsu to Nyoron Churuya-san

Source: http://www.someanithing.com/series-data-quick-view

It seems like the two series that were counted as below 3k were Sora wo Miageru Shoujo no Hitomi ni Utsuru Sekai and Nichijou. It may be due to a difference in source or counting but it seems like Nichijou may actually be above 3k bringing Kyoani's success rate to 95%.
Panon

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Sunrise's 9th studio should be on the chopping block, it's a complete failure.

The majority of Studio 9's output has been children's shows - lots of seasons of Battle Spirits, a season of Aikatsu, etc. Things that aren't meant to sell disks in the first place.

A list like this is an interesting curiosity, but don't mistake it as an actual way of telling whether a studio is 'successful' or not.
Amiantos

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:31 pm Reply with quote
I feel this is over all pretty weak comparison. Yes around 3,000 is when they start to turn a profit on a show. But a lot of these studios have a 10k+ sale on some of their stuff and some that can average 40k+ in sales. KyoAni's success isn't really from them "carefully choosing" shows, it's from them knowing their audience which are people who like cute girls doing cute things or watching guys be mostly naked and swimming. They have at max 3 shows a year which is a good number and why their products are so consistent.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7