• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shomin Sample (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:23 pm Reply with quote
So much maids and Hakua this week, I lol'd. Seriously though, the way Kimito did that Moe Moe pose or whatever was too silly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:23 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

I love this show too much. These jokes are like not that good, right? But I laughed so much in the episode. My favourite was the maid's poor excuses, like when the dishes or spoons got pointed out a maid would super artificially clumsy. The maids were very funny

Also him doing the moe moe, when the girls blank faces and getting out of the way. I must say for some reason the one I liked seeing a maid the most was Hakua, I thought it was just so different with her small size. All the character clashes work for me. And all the tsukkomi (straight man) remarks from Kimito.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:06 pm Reply with quote
^

Well, you're not alone. I'm getting a big kick out of it too, though I think I liked the maid cafe segments bit better than the second half with Hakua's scheming maids. I cracked up at Aika - the same Aika who danced around in a skin-tight green outfit the episode before - declaring she couldn't do something due to dignity as a human.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:28 pm Reply with quote
HelloBucket wrote:
the same Aika who danced around in a skin-tight green outfit the episode before - declaring she couldn't do something due to dignity as a human.

Best line of the episode so far.

Do you think Hakua is autistic? She seems to show a lot of the signs. And I have no real objection to seeing her naked but I think the schtick has been a bit overplayed by now.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:22 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Do you think Hakua is autistic? She seems to show a lot of the signs. And I have no real objection to seeing her naked but I think the schtick has been a bit overplayed by now.

She has definitely been portrayed as a savant of some sort with a set picky schedules, reduction of being able to look after herself and reduction of social skills with a mention of having a hard time conveying what she thinks. The obvious comparison to make to another character would be Mashiro from Sakurasou, which I am entirely sure is autistic. The spectrum of autism is fairly broad, so her having these defining traits may be indicative of somewhere on it. Although people also get upset at the idea that a character might have such a diagnosis because it would make laughing at the character feel uncomfortable. But people with autism are still people, they don't need to be treated with entire hands off like they are some total taboo subject, they should be put in with the rest with just some understanding they have a few quirks, which I do feel like has been done with Hakua regardless of any author intention.

I like Hakua, her stripping thing is mostly inoffensive, and I feel like comes in with humour from others reacting to it. It actually feels kind of nice to have Kimito just hang with her a bit. A similar character type she also reminds me of is Honey from Ouran High, the high class and smart younger than they look character. I mean there are a couple comparisons one could make to Ouran High, although differences could be pointed out for differences of fanservice for genders.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:53 am Reply with quote
Episode 10:

Ha, I think the girls in this series takes a bit too seriously out of anything. I mean, cosplaying with weird outfits and going full yellow suits along with the "GETS" gimmick feels like a bit much. It turns out, Kimito wasn't planning on leaving in the first place.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Hm, I wonder if it's okay I laughed at the Grave of the Fireflies reference...
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:34 am Reply with quote
Where was the line "You Got Me Mad Now" line from? I don't recall that being said by anyone. And what does it have to do with getting spanked?

I found it oddly endearing about all the effort those girls would go to just to keep Kimito from leaving. And it seems like Hakua is being significantly more social which is good to see.

And if you absolutely MUST have a collision-resulting-in-face-down-in-the-crotch event that is the way to do it I suppose. No censorship either quite amazing.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:45 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Where was the line "You Got Me Mad Now" line from? I don't recall that being said by anyone. And what does it have to do with getting spanked?

Episode 8:

Should be a leg lock rather than spanking.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:00 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

How does Hakua dressing up as Setsuko from Grave of the Fireflies count as masculine?

The attempt to appear manly was fun. But Kimito teasing Aika so much, he needs to dial it down, at least he imagined himself being hit, but there is a point it becomes bullying.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:01 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
But Kimito teasing Aika so much, he needs to dial it down, at least he imagined himself being hit, but there is a point it becomes bullying.

Well, at least she's getting wise to him to some extent. "You fooled me before didn't you?" (what ya think?) So in that sense he is actually doing her a favor since she is not totally innocent anymore. And he really didn't intend for it to go that far.

Sort of reminds me of how Yozora treated poor little Maria in Haganai. Now that was definitely bullying. But problematic Maria actually improved in the eye of her family.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:42 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Sort of reminds me of how Yozora treated poor little Maria in Haganai. Now that was definitely bullying. But problematic Maria actually improved in the eye of her family.

I was thinking more in lines with Yozora to Sena. In ways that although Sena had a bit of an ego on her she was improving, but Yozora pushed the envelope in taking advantage of Sena's desire for female acceptance and humiliates her. Well Yozora in general is my favourite depiction kind of crossing the line.

Well Kimito did plan on actually telling her, so again not so bad, being able to take things to the point of being comfortable to do such a thing is interesting. Actually kind of makes me think of one of my favourite lead characters, Yuuichi.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Not the best episode. The first half of the episode was boring and I was wishing it would end earlier. Aika episodes are a hit or miss for me. But Hakua and Karen episodes are always a hit Smile
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:52 pm Reply with quote
episode ten

On the one hand, I kind of wish we got more out of Kujou. On the other hand, I think keeping her to relatively brief scenes keeps the magic of the character alive. The only other highlight to me was that the girls had noticed (but do not seem to understand) Kimito's thigh fetish.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Kind of bummed by this episode. It's sort of the light hearted slightly comedic episode before you get to the big plot twist or crisis. Expect the next episode to be as dramatic as this series can be, then we have the cliff hanger for the series finale.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5