• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scherzo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I actually really liked how this ended, and it sort of made me question if Rustal was really anymore evil than McGillis. Oh, he's definitely not a good person and he readily admits to that, and we're obviously going to see him as the villain for opposing Tekkadan, but at the same time it kinda is Orga's fault for buying into McGillis's bill of good's of becoming 'King of Mars' should his half-baked revolution succeed.

In the end the difference between McGillis and Rustal was that McGillis idolized raw power, whereas Rustal understood the importance of context; the difference of course stems from their upbringing. But in all likelihood, McGillis's 'revolution', if it had 'succeeded' would most likely lead to even further discord as he people resisted him imposing his will. Ironically, defeating McGillis and Tekkadan gave Gjallarhorn the political cache to return to legitimacy and democratize. So, in a somewhat cynical way, Tekkadan's deaths weren't in vain, as their death proved the means for generating lasting peace and liberty.

It's just a very interesting perspective; I'm so used to anime politics being black and white, so it's really refreshing to see a show with a lot of ulterior motives--and understanding they're not necessarily evil--and mixed intentions.[/i]
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Definitely a bittersweet ending. At least it tied up two very tiresome loose ends in spoiler[Iok and Nobliss getting offed]. Finally I say. It's about time the trash got taken out.

I guess it was obvious spoiler[Mika wasn't going to make it, but at least he's survived through his son Akatsuki (nice naming too since his name means dawn/daybreak while Mika's was crescent moon; a nice contrast in that his father and Tekkadan paved the way with only the faintest light of hope to guide them and Akatsuki represents a new dawn for the future].

This has been one of the more powerful Gundam titles I've seen in a while. I have to give it full marks for keeping me watching all the way to the end.
dark13

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Sorry unlike the majority, I can't like this ending I as someone who really loved Season 1 and was liking season 2 this Final felt pretty cheapspoiler[ I was happy Iok died but was pretty damn sad Juileta lived, I can't count how many times she lived, plus she didn't even really beat Mika she only won because Barbato's had no arms she should had at least been hurt] all in all give the whole series 5/10 but give season 2 3/5 well at least i got persona 5 on Tuesday.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:35 pm Reply with quote
was kinda hoping that kudellia would have also had a child with mika as well, and from the way how gundam endings differ between the anime and manga, i wouldnt be surprised if the manga doesnt take the whole " kill em all" approach to the extreme like the anime series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:49 pm Reply with quote
While I sort of liked that Rustal went 'screw this, we don't need to fight you head to head' and went with the orbital bombardment, it completely ruined any real epic final battle. Granted that would have been hard to pull off anyway since the series absolutely failed to introduce a credibly rival to Mika (Gaelio perhaps could have filled that as could have McGillis, but the series opted to have those two fight to the death instead).

I liked the epilogue. I sort of likes Iok getting scissored, but at the same time the guy should have been long dead. Julia as well... I fully expected Mika to die and leave a child for quite a while so I'm fine with that, but Julia killing him annoyed me because she is clearly a trash pilot by comparison and Mika never got a chance to redeem himself. I also liked that it pretty much wrapped it all up which should mean they are going to drop this for a new gundam.

The second season has been such a let down. Too many dumb ass decisions made by previously smart characters, too much time wasted on less important stuff/characters, and not having an epic final battle for the MC really tanked my opinion of IBO.

jr240483 wrote:
was kinda hoping that kudellia would have also had a child with mika as well, and from the way how gundam endings differ between the anime and manga, i wouldnt be surprised if the manga doesnt take the whole " kill em all" approach to the extreme like the anime series.

I was wondering if it would go that way, but really, knocking them both up on the very first try with no planning...

belvadeer wrote:
I suppose, but she was such a witch. spoiler[Even though she did eventually grow up and realize how foolish and manipulative she had been, she was still detestable for quite a while into the story]. Atra and Kudelia are leagues better than her in many ways.

Atra? No way. Atra is an incredibly shallow and boring character. Fllay actually grew and greatly changed over the course of the story. Sure, Fllay wasn't likable, but she wasn't meant to be. Kudelia I think is comparable though.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:15 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Granted that would have been hard to pull off anyway since the series absolutely failed to introduce a credibly rival to Mika (Gaelio perhaps could have filled that as could have McGillis, but the series opted to have those two fight to the death instead).

yeah Mika really didn't have a good 'human' rival, only ones that came close to really taking him down head on was mobile armor Ein and the actual Mobile Armor midseason.

dark13 wrote:
Sorry unlike the majority, I can't like this ending I as someone who really loved Season 1 and was liking season 2 this Final felt pretty cheapspoiler[ I was happy Iok died but was pretty damn sad Juileta lived, I can't count how many times she lived, plus she didn't even really beat Mika she only won because Barbato's had no arms she should had at least been hurt] all in all give the whole series 5/10 but give season 2 3/5 well at least i got persona 5 on Tuesday.

SilverTalon01 wrote:
I liked the epilogue. I sort of likes Iok getting scissored, but at the same time the guy should have been long dead. Julia as well... I fully expected Mika to die and leave a child for quite a while so I'm fine with that, but Julia killing him annoyed me because she is clearly a trash pilot by comparison and Mika never got a chance to redeem himself. I also liked that it pretty much wrapped it all up which should mean they are going to drop this for a new gundam.

Yes Ioks death was the best thing of this episode I can just imagine someone telling Rustal Iok is dead and in his mind he's throwing a party.

And Mikas final fight while sad, I think its acceptable. Clearly all the viewers know that Julieta would be swiftly defeated by Mika and Julieta literally just wore him out. I mean he ran out of gas while running after her and squashing their fodder. It's a sad end but MIka was human and while we love to think things like love, justice and things like a place to return to can give main characters boundless explosive energy, he already used that card by getting up kicking ass from that orbital assault. He had to burn out eventually and Julietta just happened to be the only pilot to not get immediately rekt. That said it is annoying that the people in her world see her as a 'hero'

also dark13 did you get P5 last Tue or are you getting it the coming Tue, I heard some people got it earlier than expected and Im really jealous.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
yeah Mika really didn't have a good 'human' rival, only ones that came close to really taking him down head on was mobile armor Ein and the actual Mobile Armor midseason.

They did pressure him which made for the best two fights in the series, but they were also 'killed' in their first fight. Technically Ein survived before but he only stopped being a total joke when he was put into Ein Graze which 'died' right away.

We basically watched an entire second half of Mika crushing grunts. They could have at least included an awesome Barbatos vs Vidar fight (and had Gaelio survive it to still kill McGillis later while at the same time giving an excuse to remodel Vidar), but nope... as soon as Mika is about to get serious, it ends.

Calsolum wrote:
Clearly all the viewers know that Julieta would be swiftly defeated by Mika and Julieta literally just wore him out. I mean he ran out of gas while running after her and squashing their fodder. It's a sad end but MIka was human and while we love to think things like love, justice and things like a place to return to can give main characters boundless explosive energy, he already used that card by getting up kicking ass from that orbital assault. He had to burn out eventually and Julietta just happened to be the only pilot to not get immediately rekt. That said it is annoying that the people in her world see her as a 'hero'

That would bother me a lot less if it wasn't for the fact that the last time they clashed, Mika basically got screwed by plot armor. Then he again gets screwed this time. I agree that they made it pretty credible for him to not stomp her this time (though not particularly exciting for a final episode at all), but him not getting to redeem his laughable performance last time doesn't sit well.
dark13

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:26 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Calsolum"]
SilverTalon01 wrote:
also dark13 did you get P5 last Tue or are you getting it the coming Tue, I heard some people got it earlier than expected and Im really jealous.
I got it on Friday I haven't played it yet do but I'm going to know I want to forget what happen with IBO, the only other time I been this pissed off was Code Geass R2 ugh Sunrise really don't seem to give any of their mecha anime good endings.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:54 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Atra? No way. Atra is an incredibly shallow and boring character. Fllay actually grew and greatly changed over the course of the story. Sure, Fllay wasn't likable, but she wasn't meant to be. Kudelia I think is comparable though.

Flay was pretty insufferable for a long time. At least Atra didn't make me want to beat her in the face with a mallet.
Scherzo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:34 am Reply with quote
I kinda feel like a pretentious tool for arguing this, but I feel like it's best to view this show as a Mari Okada story that happens to feature Gundams, just as say Magica Madoka is a Gen Urobuchi story that happens to feature magical girls. I don't feel gyped, personally, that it

Mika, to me, could never have a classic gundam rivalry in the vein of say Amuro v. Char. Hi enemy isn't a specific person, or even a specific faction. It was the circumstances he was born into. He died the same way he lived, at the hands of a world that did not acknowledge yet utilized his suffering; and rather than that being personified in a single person, it's just being worn down by it all.

I don't think Vidar would work thematically as a rival because Galieo doesn't have a beef with Mika personally; he does what he does so he can 'unmask' McGillis.

I'd like to think at some point before the battle Kudelia and Atra came to terms with the fact Mika couldn't live in a world where he didn't need to fight to survive.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:39 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

I was wondering if it would go that way, but really, knocking them both up on the very first try with no planning...

it could have been possible considering that atra was more or less trying the same approach as naze and his extended family. and of course mika being mika.

and your sort of right about season two, while the second part is plausible, it definitely left a massive sour taste in my mouth with the whole kill em all approach. it felt like i was watching a mecha version of akame ga kill which i didn't even bother watching the last ep cause the kill em all theme was getting way out of hand. luckily its confirmed that its an original anime version and the manga is much different. while the chances that the IBO manga might get the same treatment as akame ga kill's manga, the chances of that are seriously low.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
amagee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I was perfectly OK with where the world ended up with this finale but the way it got there was disjointed and poorly done.

Certain things just never panned out. A few of them that stick out:

-Hush was just useless as a character in the end. They gave him a little bit of work but not enough to make him anything more than the epitome of "failed new character".
-Iok's end felt hollow, like they just had to do something and were like "...I guess we have to get it done at some point...". I'm glad he's dead but it just lacked any oomph.
-They took the Dainsleifs and turned them into a deus ex machina. The Gjallarhorn forces didn't have a chance in hell of beating the Gusion and the Barbatos so they had to use the excuse of them getting Dainsleif'd to make them defeatable to finish the show. IBO worked so hard to make its Gundams powerful in a unique way and it was so successful that they had to resort to a cheap literary trick to end it. As someone who was glad to see IBO using its mecha as part of the story telling, this was incredibly frustrating.

There were many more things but these were the offenses that came to mind right now.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Episode 50 Review wrote:
more than his unborn child and more than the fact that Gundam heroes typically aren't long for this world

Uh, flat out wrong. Gundam heroes rarely ever die. As far as main anime Gundam goes, only one has ever died and one was crippled at the end of his series. The standard is in fact that they are totally fine.

belvadeer wrote:
Flay was pretty insufferable for a long time. At least Atra didn't make me want to beat her in the face with a mallet.

You were suppose to want to smack her for being a bitch though. A good character and a likable character aren't the same thing. Of course you didn't want to smack Atra because there is nothing to her at all.

Scherzo wrote:
I don't think Vidar would work thematically as a rival because Galieo doesn't have a beef with Mika personally; he does what he does so he can 'unmask' McGillis.

I don't think Gaelio would have made a great rival for Mika. However, that doesn't mean they couldn't have had an amazing all out battle instead of Gaelio running away when Mika finally starts to fight seriously.

There are two problems: Mika has no credible rival and Mika has no awesome gundam on gundam fights. Solving the former would have likely meant solving the latter, but I'd take 1/2 over 0/2.
dark13

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Julieta viewer character ? yeah sorry I disagree with that, the role of Viewer character will and always be Hush middy even after the show ended Episode 4 of season 2 is proof enough spoiler[ when all the tekkadan characters had guns and he was the only one not willing to pull the trigger or the time the MA was awakened he was there to see that ] Julieta isn't any of that.

amagee I agree that Hush ended up being useless, but I don't think this his fault for whatever reason they never followed up on what his character was going to be, I highly doubt they would introduce new characters for Tekkadan and not do anything with that, which is why I think something might have went wrong, I mean they promoted him in this https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CypVCWtUcAAn4eH.jpg why is this Useless character being promoted ? why isn't Orga on this ? know what i think what ever plans they had for Hush they drop it for Juileta a character who we know little about and isn't very interesting and who only shouts RUSTAL SAMA !!!
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:51 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Of course you didn't want to smack Atra because there is nothing to her at all.

Dude, no offense, but can you lay off with the Atra hate? I don't agree with your analysis of her and you don't agree with mine. Let's just leave it at that, okay?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 44 of 47