• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nurse Witch Komugi Gets TV Anime With New Cast, Characters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:04 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
"Idol Kei Tomoe as Komugi Yoshida"

First impression: who's she? A quick Google Image search returns with Kuroneko (OreImo) and Homura Akemi (Madoka Magica) at Tokyo Big Sight. Shocked

I looked up "Kei Tomoe" on Wikipedia and I got nothing. Perhaps the name is an alias?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:24 am Reply with quote
According to what I can make out of her webpage for her agency, she hasn't done anything at all since 2013. So seems more like a struggling idol trying to get a job where she can, rather than what I thought initially.

EDIT: Looks like her idol group had one performance in 2014, but otherwise is similarly struggling.

Last edited by Megiddo on Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:29 am; edited 1 time in total
consignia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:25 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:

I looked up "Kei Tomoe" on Wikipedia and I got nothing. Perhaps the name is an alias?

I doubt it. Here's her wikipedia page: https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/巴奎依 and her agency page: http://www.horipro.co.jp/tomoekei/

She doesn't seem to be hugely prolific. The Kuroneko cosplay seems to be from something called Anime Ouen Project, where she and a bunch of other idols cosplayed as anime characters (maybe as an idol group? I haven't read much into it): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-gtfXxPUGY
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:09 am Reply with quote
Well, that YouTube video of Kei cosplaying as Kuroneko seems to confirm that her identity is the real thing. Here's hoping she'll fare well as Komugi-chan. Smile
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:11 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:

I should have specified that I Googled her name in kanji, not romaji. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

Megiddo wrote:
EDIT: Looks like her idol group had one performance in 2014, but otherwise is similarly struggling.

As an inaugural member, she joined Girl(s) ACTRY at the age of 14 in March 2010, but HoriPro closed it down last month. Voice acting would be a very reasonable track to switch to for an anime and seiyū fan like her.

By the way, I feel a bit surprised seeing HoriPro letting its celebrities becoming the protagonist of Komugi franchise. Just see the description of Komugi Nakahara on Japanese Wikipedia:

弱小芸能プロダクション「キリプロ」所属の女子高生コスプレアイドル。
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
consignia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:08 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

By the way, I feel a bit surprised seeing HoriPro letting its celebrities becoming the protagonist of Komugi franchise. Just see the description of Komugi Nakahara on Japanese Wikipedia:

弱小芸能プロダクション「キリプロ」所属の女子高生コスプレアイドル。

In a similar vain, Yukari Tamura played an idol who struggled to get work. OK, it was a role continuity thing from Soul Taker but it's not the stigma you want attached to your talent.

The original Komugi series was pretty cynical about the whole idol scene, despite it's cutsie exterior. I imagine they are going to dial it back a bit for the remake.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The original Komugi series was pretty cynical about the whole idol scene, despite it's cutsie exterior. I imagine they are going to dial it back a bit for the remake.

Personally, I would rather see Komugi double down on Idol Industry cynicism.
regardless, anyone that is even interested is probably hoping for a "worthwhile watch".
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:44 am Reply with quote
consignia wrote:
In a similar vain, Yukari Tamura played an idol who struggled to get work.

Asuka Sakurai, I assume?
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I too am worried that it'll become a generic moe magical girl show instead of the over the top parody it was supposed to be.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:24 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Personally, I would rather see Komugi double down on Idol Industry cynicism.
regardless, anyone that is even interested is probably hoping for a "worthwhile watch".

Based on what other people are saying about her history, she'd definitely be in a position to feel passionate about the criticism.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3