• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Please Twins! DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Eldritcho wrote:
Anyone remember a series called AyuMayu?

Because this totally sounds like the same thing.

Well, if anything, the other way around. Ayu Mayu came 4 years after Please Twins.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:25 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
the other was that unlike its prequel, this series isnt heavily fanserviced, nor was it ecchi or was entering into the incest brother/sister romance storyline like in Koi Kaze (which was also dubbed by Bang Zoom when Geneon was around) and it could have easily gone into that category for its ending.
Koi Kaze's dub was done by New Generation Pictures, not Bang Zoom, although plenty of Los Angeles VAs did work for both studios.

On a side note... people like to point fingers at OreImo for unleashing a glut of incest anime, but between Please Twins! and other titles (like Da Capo, Koi Kaze, Love Hina Again, Utena, Sakura Diaries, etc.), it's pretty clear that the theme's been around a long time, even if it hasn't always been handled in quite the same way.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:05 am Reply with quote
^^^
Did you catch my earlier post? 1983, Miyuki, major plot point. (step-siblings, but that accounts for more than half of the current trend)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
the other was that unlike its prequel, this series isnt heavily fanserviced, nor was it ecchi or was entering into the incest brother/sister romance storyline like in Koi Kaze (which was also dubbed by Bang Zoom when Geneon was around) and it could have easily gone into that category for its ending.
Koi Kaze's dub was done by New Generation Pictures, not Bang Zoom, although plenty of Los Angeles VAs did work for both studios.

On a side note... people like to point fingers at OreImo for unleashing a glut of incest anime, but between Please Twins! and other titles (like Da Capo, Koi Kaze, Love Hina Again, Utena, Sakura Diaries, etc.), it's pretty clear that the theme's been around a long time, even if it hasn't always been handled in quite the same way.

Well there is also tenchi muyo which had that before all the other series mentioned. a lot of people tend to forget that the series had the whole nephew/aunt thing going on, which puzzles me how there were no outrage when that was introduced back then in the 90's.

though even i agree that romance genre wouldn't have worked for onegai twins.

not without going into uber ecchi fanservice mode ala Girls Bravo which would have made onegai teacher fans screaming bloody murder on the production committee. Oreimo? Yes. Kyokai Senjou no Horizon?Maybe? SAO? Absolutely,(even though it never occurred) but definitely not onegai twins.

Alan45 wrote:
@jr0904

In addition to the Please Twins anime there was a one volume manga and a one volume novel issued in the US. What other source material are you referring to?

that is what i was talking about. However considering one commenter quoted about the original source materials was based of the LN (Light Novels),not the vol 1 novel released by bandai along with the manga, and another said about the VN (Visual Novel) having a different ending than the anime or manga. especially since most of us DON'T live in Japan,and not know what the OSM (Original Source Materials) are based off of series like this. Whether its a Novel, Light Novel or Visual Novel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:44 am Reply with quote
@jr240483

Ayeka is not actually Tenchi's aunt. She is his grandfather's half sister which would make her his great-great-(half) aunt. While this is not very likely a situation anticipated under Japanese law, it is enough degrees of separation to be legal. Very Happy It is fairly clear she had intended to marry Tenchi's grandfather until he disappeared. Apparently this would not be a problem for the royal family.

What no one pays attention to is the age differential. Both Ayeka and Sasami are over five hundred years old. (Ryoko is even older) They do not appear to be fully mature because they were in stasis most of the time Ayeka's ship was searching for the grandfather and Ryoko.

Concerning Please Twins I just took a closer look at the two volume novel version. It reports it is a novelization of the anime and implies that the anime is the original source material with the novelist having written both. The manga is also shown as an adaption of the anime. The anime came out before light novels became a common source material for anime. Do you have any firm information that shows a source material prior to the anime?
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:14 pm Reply with quote
I am glad to see this relatively old anime get new attention but I think Theron's review shortchanges it quite a bit. The part I agree with is the dialog line "he could be my brother, but then he could be a stranger" seems to be repeated about forty times an episode.

Aside from that PT presented amazingly sympathetic and amusing characters and managed them all with truly excellent stage direction. Even when doing dumb things like Minoru (perverted uncle) ogling girls and getting comeuppance for it. (His wife is apparently no less perverted than he is.)

What I think Theron missed is that the overall composition flows like few anime before or after it.

One example: take another look at the dubbed opening monologue for Episode 4. PT is one of a few anime were the dub is better than the original sound track in many places and I consider this a high point on Jonny Yong Bosch's amazing and lengthy career. Bosch hits that one out of the park and the director cues the music to opening credits perfectly. Watching just that I defy anyone who hasn't seen the anime to then profess to not being interested in seeing it. (And Bosch is not exactly done at that point either.)

Another: late in the story Miina is finally opening up with a softly-spoken revelation about herself. They are sitting on a knoll with her back to Mike and Karen. Karen starts to interrupt her but Mike shushes her simply by holding up his hand -- Miina never sees. A tiny moment perhaps but PT is fully of such indications of the self confidence that the story has in dealing with the characters' emotions and interactions.

And another: The "I'll smack you!" routine. Deserves to be called a classic.

I know my memory has obscured many other things like that I could write about but hopefully anyone who cares about such things and reads this won't be put off from seeing Please Twins! based on Theron's lukewarm reaction to it. I don't diverge from this reviewer often but I do here -- I put PT on my A list in spite of some obvious stumbles and flaws.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2