• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Might Be Wrong

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronri

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:53 am Reply with quote
Ehh still getting the game. True that "censorship is bad", but I'm buying this as a fan of the series and horror games in general.

It was already hard enough to get Fatal Frame localized again considering how the last one didn't even see the light of day outside of Japan (thank goodness we're actually getting hard copies for the EU release). In this regard, some silly bikini censorship isn't suddenly going to ruin that for me. I'm just happy enough to support the developers and enjoy a new entry in the series.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:27 am Reply with quote
I love that some of the answers are basically "I don't like censorship, but I don't like those outfits anyway, so I'm OK with it". What hypocrites. It would be different if you were forced to use those outfits, but as it stands some people are going "I don't like these, it's OK that nobody gets to use them".

The diner across the street gives you a free slice of pie with every steak dinner. Alex likes pie, so he's happy to get some as a bonus. John hates pie, so even when he's given the pie, he doesn't eat it.
The owner of the diner decides that nobody will get any pie anymore. Alex is sad, but John doesn't care, since he never ate the pie. Then John goes to Alex and says "I'm glad you're not getting pie anymore. It's disgusting". John has proven himself to be a jerk.

Replace "pie" with "bikinis in this game" and "steak dinner" with "this game". Is John any less of a jerk?
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:19 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro,

I think you should add to your analogy that most of the time, the person who tells Alex that pies are disgusting doesn't even like steak dinners, either.

My view is:

1) What Nintendo did was definitely censorship, whatever the reasons for doing so.

2) Many of the people who "don't want this" aren't actually gamers, but *gatekeepers*. They're people who have, for whatever reason, decided that *they* should be the ones to protect the rest of us. In this case, protect us from depictions of scantily clad women. Does anyone really think that the average gamer who purchases this game is playing it and then, upon seeing said scantily clad woman, turns away in disgust, "Who put her in *that* outfit? It's disgusting! I'm going to call up Nintendo and give them what for!"

No. It's not those people who are complaining. It's the gatekeepers who feel that it is their job to protect us from such horrible things. They tirelessly man the front lines, saving us, protecting us, doing the dirty, thankless jobs that we simply can't do for ourselves!

Yes, this thing with Fatal Frame is just a single example of it, but it is a pretty clear example, which is why I think many of us are commenting on it.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:34 am Reply with quote
I never signed up for one of the higher Mighty9 tiers expecting that I'd get the most fantastic Megaman-sequel ever. I pledged because I wanted exactly what the tier would give me; A sketch drawn by Inafune. So, I'm probably going to be the lone dissenter by stating that I'm not upset as to how Mighty9 looks solely because I really didn't care that much in the first place.

When I pledge for KS, I always add a year to the arrival date. I believe the original rewards were all due to be received by April 2015, and as of today, I've received the shirts and the plushie. To me, that means I'll receive the rest by April 2016. And, if the date of the game is now early 2016, April makes sense.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:36 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how long the Sony Vita will last in its lifespan. If Sony doesn't plan on creating a Vita's successor, this could be a great opportunity for the Nintendo's codename NX to pick up the slack for most of the JRPG games found exclusive on the Vita.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

Yes, this thing with Fatal Frame is just a single example of it, but it is a pretty clear example, which is why I think many of us are commenting on it.

Them making it so you can't look up Peach's or Zelda's skirts using the camera post SSB Melee is another example of them arbitrarily playing overprotective guardian.

Hell if the new Zelda 3DS game is any indication they even want to protect people from the evils of playing games online with people from different regions on top of the 3DS's well known region lock.

darkchibi07 wrote:
I wonder how long the Sony Vita will last in its lifespan. If Sony doesn't plan on creating a Vita's successor, this could be a great opportunity for the Nintendo's codename NX to pick up the slack for most of the JRPG games found exclusive on the Vita.

The 3DS had it's fair share of exclusive JRPG's so it's not like they were hurting in that area.......to say nothing of the fact that many of the Vita's JRPG's weren't that good anyway.
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:04 pm Reply with quote
You know, speaking of censorship and boycotts, even if that may be a policy for some, that is a personal choice individuals will have to make.

I was pissed off at Dungeon Travelers 2 being a few images away from being a perfect port. Even worse that the images they changes were actually pretty tame compared to some that made it.

But I still recommend that game because it is such a terrific game. Same with Fatal Frame.

That being said, just supporting the games doesn't mean people shouldn't let their gripes about censorship be unheard.

I just don't understand why they don't allow discerning players to use OPTIONAL costumes when they want. If they want to gate it further, just let them be downloadable for adult players.

It is a touchy subject I know, in regards to boycotts. I don't want games to go the DOAX3 route of simply ignoring the western market entirely. But at the same time, it is worth reaching out to companies to let them know we want loyal ports.

Last edited by Shippoyasha on Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Exalted Incarnate wrote:
Honestly I could care less about the censorship of costumes.
(Actually I agree this censorship) But when it comes to censorship on blood and gore that's when things get annoying, mainly in anime they do this but if they start doing that in games it ruins the mood and makes the game feel more fake than it already is thus draining the aspect of spine chilling suspense and the overall thrill of the game.(depends on what game) And for a game like fatal frame, having fanserviced costumes will only make the game lose its sense of realality and ends up attracting the wrong audience.

Sorry, but I can't really agree with that because Fatal Frame always had a huge array of costume play even in Fatal Frame 1 and 2. Also, horror games always had outlandish costume play ever since the 90s. Even Silent Hill does it. If you don't want to break immersion, you can always play it without enabling the new costumes. Also, I don't see how it would attract a 'wrong' crowd. Horror and cheesecake go well together. Even Hollywood does it. I think horror is the one genre that lets loose its inhibitions in imagery more so than any other genre.
Charagon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:02 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
The potential customers I'm referring to are general horror fans, probably folks looking for something to fill the PT void. Not moms and dads looking for the next Mario game. Not all horror game fans are fans of anime, or of moe anime, or of gravure. I'd bet most horror fans don't even know what gravure IS, and even if they do, how many are comfortable, as by-products of Western society, with sexualizing underage teenagers? That just doesn't fly in Western society.

Wow... how disconnected from reality are you planning to get with your mental gymnastics?

Sexualizing teenagers doesn't fly with Horror Fans? Have you ever SEEN a horror movie? Teenagers having sex and getting murdered is the DEFAULT PLOT.
Sloppy_Jimbo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:15 am Reply with quote
The only controversy surrounding Fatal Frame that chaps my hide is why Nintendo picked it up. Biggest buzzkill of my gaming career.
Razzuel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:18 am Reply with quote
Whether or not the cut content has merit is irrelevant. Nintendo's job in localizing the game is not to judge what they deem worthy for North American and European audiences.

Furthermore, this game is already rated M, and why is Bayonetta 2 treated differently?

The Fatal Frame 2 remake for the Wii, which was Europe only, was treated the same way.

This is just Nintendo overreacting again. All we can do is keep criticizing them, though it seems like they'll never learn.

Also, yeah, f**k Other M. What a bunch of f**king hot garbage.
B00m23

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:39 am Reply with quote
Shippoyasha wrote:
You know, speaking of censorship and boycotts, even if that may be a policy for some, that is a personal choice individuals will have to make.

I was pissed off at Dungeon Travelers 2 being a few images away from being a perfect port. Even worse that the images they changes were actually pretty tame compared to some that made it.

But I still recommend that game because it is such a terrific game. Same with Fatal Frame.

That being said, just supporting the games doesn't mean people shouldn't let their gripes about censorship be unheard.

I just don't understand why they don't allow discerning players to use OPTIONAL costumes when they want. If they want to gate it further, just let them be downloadable for adult players.

It is a touchy subject I know, in regards to boycotts. I don't want games to go the DOAX3 route of simply ignoring the western market entirely. But at the same time, it is worth reaching out to companies to let them know we want loyal ports.

Lol. What happened to Dungeon Travelers could barely be considered "censorship"
Ninjagai

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Why, why, why, is it that only sexual puritans get editor positions?

Sexual content doesn't need to have point. It's fun, and that's all it needs to be. If that makes you uncomfortable, you should probably not be an editor for an anime site. You should instead consider writing for a fundamentalist Christian site.

God, I'm typing into the void. Hypocritical culture nazis don't read comments.

If an editor actually reads this, remember, it's okay to have fun. Content in video games and media doesn't affect the real world. Crime of all types have gone down over the years, maybe in part to the media.

Also, it's time to hire people who actually like fanservice. That's your audience, why wouldn't it be your editors?
Exalted Incarnate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:21 am Reply with quote
Ninjagai wrote:
Why, why, why, is it that only sexual puritans get editor positions?

Sexual content doesn't need to have point. It's fun, and that's all it needs to be. If that makes you uncomfortable, you should probably not be an editor for an anime site. You should instead consider writing for a fundamentalist Christian site.

God, I'm typing into the void. Hypocritical culture nazis don't read comments.

If an editor actually reads this, remember, it's okay to have fun. Content in video games and media doesn't affect the real world. Crime of all types have gone down over the years, maybe in part to the media.

Also, it's time to hire people who actually like fanservice. That's your audience, why wouldn't it be your editors?

It's not only Christians who have a problem with this. The editors did not censor this product just because it made them feel unconfortable, in fact you have it backwards, they did it to avoid what future problems they thought could have been possible if the product were to be uncensored.(so it was for the fans) Although it's hard to believe, Not everyone thinks that kind of content would be fun, people play games and watch anime for action,story, and comedy. This is one simple censor so I don't know why everyone is complaining so much,(sadly) there are many other games games/anime that give you all the shameless fanservice you want, not every franchise and fandom needs it as much as you do. The great thing about anime and games is that they are made especially for different crowds, the people who want the action, the people who thirst for blood and honor gore, those who want to share a good laugh, people who want complex epics, and people like you who like fanservice. So don't just hate on the company or its editors because of a censorship, if you feel like the company is not moveing accordingly to your taste and the fans around you are strange for approving of this then mabe you should consider going to a franchise that is confortable for you.
Charagon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Razzuel wrote:
Whether or not the cut content has merit is irrelevant. Nintendo's job in localizing the game is not to judge what they deem worthy for North American and European audiences.

Technically speaking, it is their job. They're just bad at it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8