• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Myriad Colors Phantom World (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:48 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
I wonder if anything will happen between Reina and Haruhiko...that would be my potential ship.

Normally I'd say no chance since Mai looks to be the main heroine. But Reina is the new girl who changes the protagonist's life, and those usually have a high chance of winning. Though she lacks the mystery usually associated with that type.

Reina is certainly more my type, at least.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:04 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Mai seems to have a fun personality. She doesn't really seem to care about being exposed, like how she was fighting the phantom skirtless without letting that embarrass her.

She was wearing gym shorts (buruma) same as most of the spectator girls from the middle school. Although some guys have a fetish for that it isn't considered exposed.

If I have to pick a favorite girl I would have to pick Ruru. She's cute, useful, and seemingly loyal. The Tinkerbell vibe I can do without but she has potential for more than that. Was there an explanation as to why she was so attached to Ichijo?
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:22 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

She was wearing gym shorts (buruma) same as most of the spectator girls from the middle school. Although some guys have a fetish for that it isn't considered exposed.

True enough. But what I'm getting at is Mai seems to have a spunky, action-girl attitude when she fights...so that makes her kind of of likable.

Quote:
Was there an explanation as to why she was so attached to Ichijo?

Not yet. I'm sure we'll learn more about Ruru later.

...........it's been so long since I've seen a show with a tiny fairy-like person. Anime hyper You saw more of them in 90s shows.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

...........it's been so long since I've seen a show with a tiny fairy-like person. Anime hyper You saw more of them in 90s shows.

I guess you didn't see Leviathan: The Last Defence a few years ago?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I rewatched Magic Knight Rayearth recently. Thank God Ruru is 500% less annoying than Primera.

Though more recently for me would be Histoire from Hyper Dimension Neptunia.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:

Leviathan?
Oh yeah, Leviatan. There was Syrup, the bottomless pit.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
Chiibi wrote:

I haven't.

Good to see tiny people are more popular than I thought. I enjoy the wee folk. Anime hyper (and yes, Arriety is one of my favorite movies, before anyone asks lol)
Gatherum

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:30 am Reply with quote
Gotta say that I'm pretty much echoing the sentiments of the preview guide reviewers on this one: higher quality than usual for a "magic high school" premise, given Kyoto Animation's involvement, but still not stellar. I'm not even bothered by the oft-decried fanservice in play here (really, I've seen a lot worse, even taking into account the erroneous boob physics); I think the "magic high school" trope, when it's not in some vague and distant form as it was in Beyond the Boundary, is just fundamentally uninteresting to me. It's like fantasy concepts set in a world too unambitious to actually be fantastical, yet not confident enough to stand solely on its slice-of-life roots. In that way, it almost feels as disjointed as Nagi-Asu: A Lull in the Sea, what with that show employing a completely arbitrary nautical fantasy element to pad out and "deepen" what is essentially an exercise in runaway love polygons.

Anyway, being that it was decent, I'll give it another episode or two to kick off into something fascinating, especially considering that a work directed by the same man who directed the three big Key adaptations, everything related to Haruhi that was a worth a damn, Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions, and last year's phenomenal Sound! Euphonium really has to have some potential. Hopefully, it doesn't turn into the black sheep of his work. We'll see.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2:

I like headphone girl Koito the best now out of all the characters from this show now. Not sure why but she has that mysterious vibe. Makes me want to know more about her like background story, family, etc.

The second half of the episode made me face palm with the content at the girls' college dorm. UFO? LOL Also I'm guessing Reina's ability has something to do with healing and absorbing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I'd have to say that Ruru is my favorite character for this series! She's just too damn adorable.

I may be reading too much into this, but I have to wonder if the main character's name, Haruhiko Ichjo is a reference to Macross.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I thought this was better than the first ep...though I don't like Koito that much. Lol she got attacked by DRONES. I did laugh every time Haruhiko smacked or grabbed Ruru. Tiny flying people exist for these reasons. Anime hyper

I thought the 'service' was more tastefully handled here. They could have been really lewd about the second half but they weren't at all. It was quite tame.

ReinaxHaruhiko chemistry detected. :'D
Shikiari

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:58 pm Reply with quote
That ReinaxHaruhiko scene...

HelloBucket

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:39 pm Reply with quote
episode two

With less exposition to do, I liked this episode quite a bit better. The character chemistry feels good and the fights against the phantoms have a light, fun feeling to them.

Less exposition, but they did spend a chunk of time at the start talking about perception again. It still feels like window dressing at the moment, unfortunately, since this element doesn't seem to work its ways into the actual goings-on in the show. Yet, anyway. I'm hoping they do actually make something of it besides reading excerpts from Wikipedia from time to time.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
I did laugh every time Haruhiko smacked or grabbed Ruru. Tiny flying people exist for these reasons. Anime hyper

Seemingly neither of them or the other girls seem to have a problem with him feeling her up that way.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:40 am Reply with quote
For explanation of powers and stuff, I kind of have thoughts like with the Index series, with how esper powers work. That their powers are along the lines having their own reality influence the rest of reality, pretty much measured by what they believe true becoming true.

Haruhiko is along the lines of that sort of teenager who reads a lot of things and in his spare time draws fantasy creatures, it is fairly common to see such people and them draw fanart. So his power is split between making the creatures of unstable reality real or the opposite in turning them into just drawings.

Mai is a naturally active person who would probably naturally be interested in not only being fit but things like chi and perhaps their corresponding elements, again not uncommon. So she can draw on her idea of the elements in her body and have them work like phantoms, it matters more about where she believes it is than any actual part.

Reina... she has a bit of an appetite, her desire seems to resolve over some nice food (I feel terrible for writing this). Through her mouth she can influence reality, whether by eating an unstable reality creature (phantom), or how she healed his wound.

And Koito is musically inclined, maybe along the lines of a singer who's words can change the world. Thus her voice can alter the world.

Ruru was funny, I like to think she was making up the ridiculous name to troll anyone who would try and copy it. Haruhiko retorts against her were good fun. I wonder what Ruru's origins are. A phantom he created when just entering puberty? A collective creation on the thoughts of an ecchi game? (she did seem interested in what she thought was game)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9