• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madoka Magica Concept Movie Will Be Core of New Project

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mystifire

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:48 am Reply with quote
As more news about this has gradually surfaced, I'm still a bit torn about whether I'd want this to be a TV series or a film. While we'd probably get more time out of a series, the budget of a film probably would serve it better. That and I don't know if I'd be able to handle waiting week by week at this point!
OVAs could also work, so long as we get at least about the same amount of time out of them as we would a film. Regardless I'm hype AF!
ajtpak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:44 am Reply with quote
there's video footage of the concept movie supposedly on the internet already. There's also a supposed transcript of the "trailer" (thanks to reddit user Enigmaboob for this. It's a little choppy. Left out the japanese text): spoiler[Madoka and Homura: I wonder what ‘happiness’ is.
Madoka: It is the bright sunbeams of May.
Homura: It is a warm family.
Madoka: It is sunny-side up eggs for breakfast.
Madoka and Homura: But Heaven has none of those things.
Madoka and Homura: I wonder what ‘happiness’ is.
Homura: It is having your name called by someone.
Madoka: It is calling someone’s name.
Homura: It is someone thinking about you.
Madoka and Homura: The Goddess had none of those things.
Homura: A lizard-girl could not help but take pity on the Goddess.
Madoka: And still thinking that, the lizard-girl split the Goddess into two equal halves, and kidnapped one of those halves, taking her from Heaven to the surface of the earth.
Homura: And until that cruelty, that gentle radiance, when it was met in the darkness…was too dazzling.
A: Lately there’s been a lot of cats around, huh?
B: They’re mixed in with dead cats.
A: How can you tell they’re dead?
Kyoko: I can’t allow this. That person would definitely would turn to someone else in situations like this with unexplained causes. [not sure on this]
Sayaka: That’s impossible, isn’t it? How can this be? Why can I read these characters?
Hitomi: I’m they’ve been forbidden to talk about it. If the benefits of magic aren’t kept a secret, perhaps its effects will disappear.
Nagisa: For some reason this smells [suspiciously] like a conspiracy.
Kyubey: Why am I [here?]?…isn’t there no benefit to this whatsoever?
Mami: You too keep secrets from yourself and from whoever you’re with, don’t you? [unsure on this one too]
Homura: Are you saying you intend to get in my way?
Madoka: You don’t have to resent anyone anymore. You…[have]…me…
Madoka: You're going to help me? Are you all fairies[/elves], too?]
Gonstead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:18 am Reply with quote
As long as the content is good, I say bring on more Madoka!
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:31 am Reply with quote
Alittan wrote:
Haha this. If you understood what actually happened, there's no way you'd hate the ending. It was perfect IMO. Can't wait for the next installment.

Stop being a hipster. I understand the ending perfectly and hate it for pissing all over the final episode of the series. It's on the level of Alien3 in negating a previous entry of the series without being good enough to pull it off.
GrimaH

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:40 am Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Alittan wrote:
Haha this. If you understood what actually happened, there's no way you'd hate the ending. It was perfect IMO. Can't wait for the next installment.

Stop being a hipster. I understand the ending perfectly and hate it for pissing all over the final episode of the series. It's on the level of Alien3 in negating a previous entry of the series without being good enough to pull it off.

Everything built up perfectly to Homura's heel turn. Her descent into madness was heavily foreshadowed throughout even the latter part of the TV series when her history was explored.

No need to hate on a good movie just because you got caught blind by a perfectly pulled off development anyone who was paying attention would have picked up and appreciated.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:43 am Reply with quote
ajtpak wrote:
there's video footage of the concept movie supposedly on the internet already. There's also a supposed transcript of the "trailer" (thanks to reddit user Enigmaboob for this. It's a little choppy. Left out the japanese text): spoiler[Madoka and Homura: I wonder what ‘happiness’ is.
Madoka: It is the bright sunbeams of May.
Homura: It is a warm family.
Madoka: It is sunny-side up eggs for breakfast.
Madoka and Homura: But Heaven has none of those things.
Madoka and Homura: I wonder what ‘happiness’ is.
Homura: It is having your name called by someone.
Madoka: It is calling someone’s name.
Homura: It is someone thinking about you.
Madoka and Homura: The Goddess had none of those things.
Homura: A lizard-girl could not help but take pity on the Goddess.
Madoka: And still thinking that, the lizard-girl split the Goddess into two equal halves, and kidnapped one of those halves, taking her from Heaven to the surface of the earth.
Homura: And until that cruelty, that gentle radiance, when it was met in the darkness…was too dazzling.
A: Lately there’s been a lot of cats around, huh?
B: They’re mixed in with dead cats.
A: How can you tell they’re dead?
Kyoko: I can’t allow this. That person would definitely would turn to someone else in situations like this with unexplained causes. [not sure on this]
Sayaka: That’s impossible, isn’t it? How can this be? Why can I read these characters?
Hitomi: I’m they’ve been forbidden to talk about it. If the benefits of magic aren’t kept a secret, perhaps its effects will disappear.
Nagisa: For some reason this smells [suspiciously] like a conspiracy.
Kyubey: Why am I [here?]?…isn’t there no benefit to this whatsoever?
Mami: You too keep secrets from yourself and from whoever you’re with, don’t you? [unsure on this one too]
Homura: Are you saying you intend to get in my way?
Madoka: You don’t have to resent anyone anymore. You…[have]…me…
Madoka: You're going to help me? Are you all fairies[/elves], too?]

My instincts scream fake. Mostly because I'm a pessimist and won't believe that it'll address the 3rd movie until I see it.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:08 am Reply with quote
GrimaH wrote:
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Alittan wrote:
Haha this. If you understood what actually happened, there's no way you'd hate the ending. It was perfect IMO...
Stop being a hipster. I understand the ending perfectly and hate it for pissing all over the final episode of the series...
No need to hate on a good movie just because you got caught blind by a perfectly pulled off development anyone who was paying attention would have picked up and appreciated.
I don't "hate" on it, but I think reasons some fans like me weren't pleased was that the "plot development" was from left-field and not "perfectly executed". It was not preceded by any direction in the series or even of the film to that point, was not a logical development of, or foreshadowed by, anything and ran contrary to established elements of Madoka and Homura's relationship and personalities in the series. It seemed to be "thrown in" to shock or confuse viewers which tends to be taken by pseudo-intellectuals (aka Hipsters) as a brilliant move who assume it had to be based on some reasoning and so they go looking for it (or make some up). From ajtpak's (hopefully fake) post, I just hope this movie doesn't spiral into a existential philosophy flail like Evangelion, what a colleague once so crassly called "mental masterbation". Yes, encrypted12345 let's wait to see what the movie actually is, just so hard to be patient when anticipating something so much....

Last edited by Hiroki not Takuya on Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:14 am Reply with quote
er.. it was perfectly foreshadowed, the only "left field" about it, was that we did not know it was possible for that to happen; at least say that you did not like what the ending did which is understandable, but do not say taht it was not properly done, beacuse it was.
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:18 am Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
Oh yeah, people don't like Rebellion. That makes me hope that this next installment will attack the fanbase even more so even more people will miss the point.

Let's piss off the fanbase and make them feel shitty for having watched a film, what a great way to run a franchise. I certainly hope that wasn't the actual goal but seeing how anime franchises get run these days and how up their own ass some creators are it would not surprise me in the slightest. Again not a huge fan of running franchises out of spite though, just seems pointless. Rolling Eyes

Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Alittan wrote:

This is why I've always kind of kept Madoka Magica at a bit of a distance even though I kind of enjoyed the TV series. The fanbase can be really full of itself at times over it thinking that everyone takes it as deathly seriously and at face value as they do. It kind of reminds me of how Fate's fanbase likes to act at times. Just because somebody doesn't like a film for particular reasons doesn't mean they "didn't get it". I don't know why some people have such a hard time accepting that and get so damn defensive over certain franchises.

Personally I found Rebellion mean spirited, spiteful, contrived, thematically pale and largely pointless, particularly in comparison to the TV series, what are people going to do about it? Does it upset them that I dare exercise my right as an individual to view and react to a film in a manner of my own choosing? Does it lessen whatever they feel out of the film? What is it, what is it that makes Madoka fans so butthurt about other people not liking the movie?

As for the concept movie, it actually seems to already hold more promise than Rebellion did. For starters there actually seems to be a clear vision of what they want to do this time that SHAFT itself is taking charge of and not some producer known for his adherence to shock value and gap moe winging ideas like lets make Madoka and Homura enemies as a sequel hook at Gen Urobuchi in yet another fit of writers block looking for any source of inspiration he can find. It also seems to remember that the rest of the cast besides Homura actually existed, are back alive thanks to the contrivances of Rebellion (the one thing it kind of had to do to continue the franchise unfortunately was undo some of the TV series key events like their deaths) and that maybe they should do something more with them instead of trying to make Homura look even more cool and edgy and have everything revolve around her character like they have since about the time the TV series resumed running with it's final batch of episodes back in 2011. IMO the TV series was at it's best when it kind of functioned as an ensemble cast, not when it was the Akemi Homura power trip hour.

Last edited by Alabaster Spectrum on Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:36 am; edited 4 times in total
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:18 am Reply with quote
Although hardly surprising, it is good to hear confirmation of more Madoka. I assume Urobuchi is on board.

As someone who liked Rebellion more than the TV series, I hope this new project is linked with Rebellion.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:19 am Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
er.. it was perfectly foreshadowed, the only "left field" about it, was that we did not know it was possible for that to happen...
OK, "enlighten me" as some say. I legitimately saw no foreshadowing and since you say "we didn't know..." I think that bolsters my point as perfect foreshadowing would have made the direction change known.
Lord Starfish

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:37 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
maximilianjenus wrote:
er.. it was perfectly foreshadowed, the only "left field" about it, was that we did not know it was possible for that to happen...
OK, "enlighten me" as some say. I legitimately saw no foreshadowing and since you say "we didn't know..." I think that bolsters my point as perfect foreshadowing would have made the direction change known.

Speaking as one of the people who did not like Rebellion's ending in the slightest... there is foreshadowing for it. It's just so subtle that one pretty much needs to see the film several times to catch it.

spoiler[The first and most obvious of them would be Madoka and Homura's conversation in the flowerfield, where Madoka says that no matter what happens, she could never bear to leave all her friends and family behind forever, and Homura takes this to heart. Then there's another subtle bit of foreshadowing mixed in with Kyubey's motive rant where he says something along the lines of "If it can be observed, it can be affected. If it can be affected, it can be controlled," which helps explain how Homura was able to do what she did. Finally, there's Homura's line just before they break out of the dream world where she says that there is nothing she wouldn't do in order to stay true to her wish of seeing Madoka again, and that she'd be fine no matter what as long as Madoka was there with her.
...Mind you, I also consider the whole "love" explanation for how Homura did what she did to be one massive pile of bollocks. The way I see it, it's more like she directly interfered with Madoka's attempt at purifying her Soul Gem, thus causing a situation where she had no choice but to turn into a witch... except that couldn't happen because of Madoka's wish... yet it also couldn't not happen because she stopped the one thing that would prevent it... and then the universe just took a third option and turned her into something in-between.]

My personal problems with Rebellion's ending are not so much in what happened... it's how it was presented. Literally every single scene feels like setup, and there's several moments (like the entirety of Homura's conversation with Sayaka or that moment at the end where Madoka almost remembers) that make absolutely no sense from a dramaturgical standpoint if this was meant to be the end of the story. The framing, the music, the dialogue... none of it even remotely helps support the idea that this is supposed to be the end of the story. I actually think the ending raises plenty of interesting ideas... but the fact that the movie didn't do anything with a single one of them, to me, meant that it absolutely needed another sequel to finish off the story.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:43 am Reply with quote
GrimaH wrote:
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Alittan wrote:

Everything built up perfectly to Homura's heel turn. Her descent into madness was heavily foreshadowed throughout even the latter part of the TV series when her history was explored.

You can't really say that the TV series foreshadowed it since the movie wasn't planned until after the TV series. Urobuchi said in an interview that he originally planned to end with the TV series so there's no way he could have foreshadowed something he hadn't even planned on. He also said that his original plan for the movie was to end with spoiler[Goddess Madoka taking Homura away], which would have made a much better ending. The ending we got felt like it only existed for shock value and opening the franchise up for more sequels. I don't mind dark endings, but an ending should be conclusive, not sequel bait for a franchise that never needed more than the TV series in the first place.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
skwid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:52 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
maximilianjenus wrote:

Homura was obsessively turning time over and over with the sole goal of saving Madoka, suffering and failing each time, and watching her die. There's no indication how many times she went through it, retaining her memories, with no way to break the cycle by saving Madoka. The cycle was only broken when Madoka was strong enough, leaving Homura as alone as if she had failed. Most, if not all, of the wishes in PMMM hurt the wisher and/or those around them; Homura wished to have Madoka, which came true at the end of Rebellion.

I was torn on the ending. I'd have loved happy, everybody-goes-to-Madoka's-magical-girl-heaven, but I can totally see how Homura's trauma and loss could lead to corruption and madness.
Lord Starfish

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:53 am Reply with quote
Videogamep wrote:
You can't really say that the TV series foreshadowed it since the movie wasn't planned until after the TV series. Urobuchi said in an interview that he originally planned to end with the TV series so there's no way he could have foreshadowed something he hadn't even planned on. He also said that his original plan for the movie was to end with spoiler[Goddess Madoka taking Homura away], which would have made a much better ending. The ending we got felt like it only existed for shock value and opening the franchise up for more sequels. I don't mind dark endings, but an ending should be conclusive, not sequel bait for a franchise that never needed more than the TV series in the first place.

He also claimed that this ending was changed because he himself thought it would be too underwhelming... but personally, I don't really buy that. That just sounds like typical promotional stuff because professionally, you simply don't just come out and say that "The executives forced me to do this thing I didn't want to do". That's pretty much a surefire way to ruin your own carreer. But yeah, to me I feel like that original idea for the ending would have still made perfect sense and been a satisfying ending. I mean, when I first saw it and the twist hadn't happened yet, I totally thought the movie was wrapping up. And I was completely fine with it. Then the twist happened and my jaw hit the floor and stayed there for the entire rest of the day... And then I spent the next several months trying to make up my mind about the thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4