• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japanese Fans Vote on Anime's Most Despicable Villains

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:02 am Reply with quote
Creeps who do awful things to children (and are cowards) are easy to hate, such as the previously mentioned Shou Tucker and Hamdo.

For me, personally, Muraki Kazutaka (Yami no Matsuei) ranks near the top. He sexually and emotionally abuses anyone he has an obsession over and considers all of them his dolls. His smug demeanor, tendency to get away with all sorts of awful crap, and domineering, rapist tendencies make my skin crawl.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:58 am Reply with quote
This reminds me of a book I found called something like "101 Lists of Bizarre Things." I flipped to random pages and saw lists like "The 10 Trippiest Movies" (2001: A Space Odyssey was at the top) and "10 Myths About the Common Cold." The third random list I saw, however, was "The 10 Most Evil Anime Villains." Nearly all of it came from Dragon Ball Z, Naruto, Bleach, and InuYasha, which had two each except for Bleach, which had three (Aizen, Grimmjow, and Ulquiorra). (For the record, the DBZ villains were Frieza and Buu, the Naruto villains were Orochimaru and Tobi, and the InuYasha villains were Kagura and Naraku.) It looks like I can figure out where the author got his anime from and what he decided to watch.

Emerje wrote:
Technically Ryuk isn't evil. Dropping his Death Note isn't necessarily an evil act, it's Light that took it too far. Someone could have just as easily have picked it up and done nothing at all with it or even have tried to destroy it. Ryuk went along with Light, but he was more like his tool and sometime henchman than anything else.

Not only that, but Light almost decided to destroy it after clearing any doubt of what it's capable of (which would've been an outcome Ryuk would've been fine with, as it wasn't Ryuk's Death Note to begin with). But he chose to keep it to kill anyone who got in his way under the pretense of making a better world.

kotelo_ wrote:
Online polls? This is a new low.

What better options are there where you can easily get votes from fans any time you'd like?
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:00 am Reply with quote
The Top Anime villain of all time is and will forever be Creed Diskenth from Black Cat he killed Train's girl friend Saya, thinks that all of humanity is garbage, has a big superiority complex, and on top of that he's every guy's worst fear because of his "feelings" for Train Creeds just the kind of villain that really gets under your skin. Mad
cloud8100

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:02 am Reply with quote
Griffith from Berserk!
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:20 am Reply with quote
Muska from Lupin is so weak sauce. He's such a typical "I WANT DA POWA!" villian, like most polls its just a popularity contest. I hate the power hungry or nihilist villians, just so generic.

Gendo should be on this list. He went so far as as to manipulate his own son to get what he wanted. spoiler[Plus making a 14 year old clone of his wife is just downright creepy.]

Akio is a bastard too. If you take out all the symbolism he's basically that one creepy dude that hangs around high school even though he's graduated long ago and tries to reclaim his youth by banging the students spoiler[(and his sister)]. He's also extremely emotionally abusive. Telling Anthy his pain was greater than hers is a classic sign of emotional abuse.

Kyubey is just the devil. He reminds me of Satan in that Mark Twain claymation. "I can do no evil, for I do not know what it is." I'd probably put him at the tip top of all anime villains.

Knives from Trigun is also pretty good, in that he really goes to extremes to make Vash's life hell. Rather than wanting to kill Vash though he wants to break his spirit and change who Vash is as a person... and that to me... the fear of losing one's identity and values has always been stronger fear than dying.

Also agree that Griffith is a selfish bastard. Wanted Gatz to stomp him so bad after the show ended.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:05 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
I'm very surprised by this list. It's so... mediocre. Seriously, Musca from Laputa? Dio is pretty bad, but at the same time, he's got too much going for him. It's easier to love him as a villain than hate him as a person.

The people that I'd put on this list? Any of the 3 men who conspired against Edmond Dantes, or Andrea Cavalcanti from Gankutsuou, Envy or Shou Tucker from FMA/FMAB, Zouken Matou from Fate/Stay Night, Johan Liebert (or, since he's too cool and likable, Roberto) from Monster, Chaka from Black Lagoon, most of Trigun's villains, Vicious from Cowboy Bebop, Elder Toguro from Yu Yu Hakusho, Genthru from Hunter X Hunter, Spandam/Arlong/Hordy Jones/Doflamingo/any World Noble from One Piece, Hidan from Naruto Shippuden, Higuchi from Death Note, Yukiteru Amano and Yuno Gasai from Future Diary (yes, they're so unlikable that I actively consider them to be villains), Gihren Zabi from Mobile Suit Gundam's Universal Century, most Berserk villains, and so many more! This is a pretty weak list. Did a newbie to anime make it? Were the Japanese given a very small list to choose from?

To me, some of the most despicable antagonists/villains are Obito (at least Nagato revived a lot of those he had directly/indirectly killed and Madara, I find the m

While I consider Lelouch a villain, at least he had best friend do what is essentially an assisted suicide, unlike Light, who was more psychotic.

Nice to see Cyborg 009 getting some representation.
Junko666

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:22 am Reply with quote
Okay this list already fails for having Kyubey on this list because its not a villain, its a well intentioned extremist. An antagonist possibly but its definitely not a villain. For starters something that is grey morality cannot compare to characters that are black. If we go by this logic than all anti-heroes should be villains as well. For example I would say Kiritsugu's (fate/zero) deeds were just as despicable if not more than what Kyubey did. Should he be on this list as well? NO This list should be for villains who are black and perform evil deeds just for their own entertainment or completely selfish reasons that benefit only themselves. Well intentioned extremists don't belong here.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:50 am Reply with quote
Junko666 wrote:
Okay this list already fails for having Kyubey on this list because its not a villain, its a well intentioned extremist. An antagonist possibly but its definitely not a villain. For starters something that is grey morality cannot compare to characters that are black. If we go by this logic than all anti-heroes should be villains as well. For example I would say Kiritsugu's (fate/zero) deeds were just as despicable if not more than what Kyubey did. Should he be on this list as well? NO This list should be for villains who are black and perform evil deeds just for their own entertainment or completely selfish reasons that benefit only themselves. Well intentioned extremists don't belong here.

Hey, for otakus, using moe to power the universe is evil, no questions asked?

I've always been more on the "it's their faults for wanting power/a wish in the first place" side. I don't keep Kyubey's race... why just point out one of them?... free of doubt seeing how the series ended but powering the universe? Kind of important if it's true.
yuusha

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:55 am Reply with quote
No love for Berg Katze or Sosai X from Gatchaman?
For shame!
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:18 am Reply with quote
>any Dragon Ball character more evil than Omega Shenron
>a magical cat that needs to eat magic eggs to survive qualifies as evil
>listing someone like Musaka

There are many more villains much more worthy of these lists. What about Zule from God Mars? Barao from Raideen? The Campbellians from Combattler V? Jasei from Inukami? Mykage from Aquarion EVOL? Wiseman from VOTOMS? Draias from Fighbird? Not even Khamen Khamen from Braiger? All of which have far better credentials than anyone listed here, was this poll conducted by calling random people or picking up people off the street? Most of the villains listed here you can just take out with a sniper rifle and call it over, for a villain to be especially evil they need to be difficult to stop (granted being the size of a mountain cheats a bit, but lets be honest, part of what makes evil evil is toxicity and lasting effects when left uncheck).
utena11221 wrote:
Akio Ohtori absence is still a travesty

multiple people wrote:
Griffith from Berserk

Yeah, these two are not villains, let alone most despicable. The former is just a bored rich guy that barely does anything while the latter was not evil until after he became a demon and the series was over by that point. I have no idea about the manga because I never read manga, perhaps that is the version you mean.
emerje wrote:
I'm more surprised Gendo Ikari wasn't on the list. His intentions may not necessarily be villainous, but his methods can often be viewed as such.

Aside from being a neglectful dad I am really not seeing how.
Animorphimagi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:53 am Reply with quote
Sosuke Aizen
Souther

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:14 am Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:
snip

Berserk anime ending spoilers: spoiler[I dunno about that, sacrificing your entire army and becoming one of a group of super demonic entities whose sole purpose is to spread suffering in the world, then brutally raping your most loyal soldier in front of your best friend in an act of pure sadism and domination makes you a villain in my eyes. And that's leaving out the events in the manga afterwards.]

mewpudding101 wrote:
Embryo from Cross Ange. Hands down.

Yeah, Embryo's a scumbag. I'd add Julio as well, while not as bad as Embryo (hard to be as bad as him really lol), he was a real dirtbag.

Here's two of some villains I find the most despicable.

1) Masaki Kihara from Zeorymer: He's a kid with a magnifying glass. He loves screwing people over and doesn't care about civilians; he will obliterate an entire city to take out someone or let the other bad guys wreck up the place until he finds it advantageous to act.

And....(spoilers) spoiler[the opposing pilots were all created using his DNA and engineered to be the only people capable of piloting their mechs. He also installed flaws within them that would make it easier to defeat them (like giving one of the male pilots a woman's face to give him a complex lol). Finally, hilariously said this to one of the pilots he created after annihilating them: http://i.imgur.com/RItNW.jpg]

2) Souther from Fist of the North Star: Enslaved, poisoned and killed children. Forced starving children to prepare him a banquet, then kicked it to the floor after taking one bite and wouldn't even let them pick the food off the ground to eat.

Then...(spoilers) spoiler[he marched one of the protagonists, a blind martial artist, whose tendons he slit, up a pyramid built by the kids he enslaved with its capstone on his back, then speared him when he reached the top, causing him to be crushed by the stone. In front of a crowd of crying children he tried to protect. ]

Last edited by Souther on Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:49 pm Reply with quote
It's interesting that most of the characters on the list are from older anime/movies, with the exception of Kyubey and the Gauna of course. Maybe the votes were based on how they viewed them during childhood? Like how Disney villains are perceived in the West by those who grew up on those movies.

I'm going to have to agree that I wouldn't count Kyubey as villainous. At least not on the same level as Dio or Frieza. He and his race are simply trying to do their job. Their method is pretty extreme, but for them it's the most efficient way.spoiler[ And going by the ending and movie, their method is more beneficial than Madoka's due to the sheer amount of energy they get]

His methods and what he's responsible for are definitely antagonistic in nature but not outright despicable since Kyubey is doing it all with no ill-intentions. He's basically a robot programmed to fulfill his job no matter what.

I'd definitely vote for Griffith and Johan for my most villainous.

Griffith for the horror that was spoiler[ the sacrifice of his entire army and the brutal raping of Casca right in front of hellish abominations and Guts, basically traumatizing both for life. Not to mention his rape mutated their baby and Casca had to emotionally and mentally lock down to avoid the nightmare of being raped by her first love. Then returning as a human to build up an army again and making everyone around him think he's a holy man even though he's far from it.]

Then Johan for the sheer realism- he can actually exist. He doesn't have special powers, a huge army, or even some deal with a mystical being. Johan is simply a charismatic man who is attempting to understand himself and the world, and is doing it in the worst way possible. He manipulates those around him into doing his bidding, and unintentionally gets a following for simply being fascinating. But the scariest thing is that not even he understands his actions but is not willing to stop. Just one of my favorite characters in general.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Junko666 wrote:
Okay this list already fails for having Kyubey on this list because its not a villain, its a well intentioned extremist.

Well-intentioned extremists can be villains too. A famous example: Poison Ivy from Batman.

DuelGundam2099 wrote:
There are many more villains much more worthy of these lists. What about Zule from God Mars? Barao from Raideen? The Campbellians from Combattler V? Jasei from Inukami? Mykage from Aquarion EVOL? Wiseman from VOTOMS? Draias from Fighbird? Not even Khamen Khamen from Braiger? All of which have far better credentials than anyone listed here, was this poll conducted by calling random people or picking up people off the street? Most of the villains listed here you can just take out with a sniper rifle and call it over, for a villain to be especially evil they need to be difficult to stop (granted being the size of a mountain cheats a bit, but lets be honest, part of what makes evil evil is toxicity and lasting effects when left uncheck).

I guess we have different definitions on what it is to be a great villain, or a really evil villain, or somesuch. To me, what qualifies a great villain is how much of an impact he or she has on the characters who oppose him or her, which has no correlation to his or her power. The first one that comes to mind is The Beast from Over the Garden Wall: He unnerves the main characters a great deal and manipulates them into almost killing themselves, but he is not difficult to stop at all: He seems completely incapable of physical combat, has no real allies to back him up, only comes out in the dark and only in the woods (and hence you're safe from the Beast if you stay inside at night), and can be defeated simply by spoiler[blowing out the Woodsman's lantern]. He just hadn't been stopped until Wirt and Greg show up because of rumors that he's unstoppable, so no one ever bothered to try. And to use another Batman example (let's face it, a big reason why Batman's been such a cultural icon is because he gets a lot of interesting villains) is Two-Face. The guy's nothing compared to the Joker, Zsasz, or Scarecrow. He's a crime boss, and not even one of the bigwigs. But any time Batman has to stop Two-Face, Batman is reminded that the man used to be his friend and an upstanding politician whom Batman failed to save, and in turn reminding Batman that he cannot save everyone.

One last thing is that this is an online poll where pretty much anyone can vote, so as a result, you're going to have popular villains and/or villains from popular works.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:46 pm Reply with quote
I won't lie I hated Muska. First time I saw Castle in the Sky Laputa back in the late 80's in college (the old Streamline dub) oh ho ho, he was a bastard 10x over. He introduced me to the "characters talking out of the side of the mouths" villains. Who are only found in Miyazaki films. It's been awhile though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4