• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japanese Fans Vote on Anime's Most Despicable Villains

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
While I consider Lelouch a villain, at least he had best friend do what is essentially an assisted suicide

A fairly good argument can be made that Lelouch did not commit suicide.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Did everyone forget about Kagato from Tenchi Muyo?
#35 from Elfen Lied.
Shichisen's Hotoko from Shikabane Hime.
jymmy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:
Gendo should be on this list. He went so far as as to manipulate his own son to get what he wanted. spoiler[Plus making a 14 year old clone of his wife is just downright creepy.]

Technically, he spoiler[made a four or five-year-old clone, whose replacement once strangled grew at an accelerated rate to 14 years of age].
vytosad

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:11 pm Reply with quote
This is an older one but how about Makoto Shishio from Rurouni Kenshin. Killing anyone just to spread fear and chaos.
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:13 pm Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
Lili-Hime wrote:
Gendo should be on this list. He went so far as as to manipulate his own son to get what he wanted. spoiler[Plus making a 14 year old clone of his wife is just downright creepy.]

Technically, he spoiler[made a four or five-year-old clone, whose replacement once strangled grew at an accelerated rate to 14 years of age].

I know, I think I worded that in a weird way. Let me rephrase spoiler[He cloned his wife, then began creeping on her in a pervy way when she grew to be 14 years old.] [/spoiler]
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:38 pm Reply with quote
I saw a summer '09 YT video of a anime con panel with Brad Swaile about the ethics of using a Death Note. I believe he said that he didn't agree with Light leading Soichiro to his death. In another video, he even acknowledged that he played the hero/villain in Death Note.
jymmy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:
I know, I think I worded that in a weird way. Let me rephrase spoiler[He cloned his wife, then began creeping on her in a pervy way when she grew to be 14 years old.] [/spoiler]

There we are: all good! Or... not.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Lack of Dino Geist from Exkaiser is surprising. Considering how recent some of the villains are though, I'm not entirely too shocked he's not on the list.

If it was an all time list, he'd probably rank pretty high though.
_Archer_

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:32 pm Reply with quote
For Japanese fans, this list doesn't seem very surprising other than the Guana being on it. Most of these characters are pretty well known over there. Though if you ask me the best Jojo villain is Kira.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:31 am Reply with quote
I'm tickled to see Colonel Muska on the list. Mark Hamill was just awesome in the part, and he really brought the character to life. Oozing with evil and charisma. True, he's not a particularly interesting villain, but he is one of the few Miyazaki antagonists and he's portrayed very well.

If you ask me, based on what I've seen, I'm surprised Sugou from Sword Art Online didn't make the list. Now he was a TRULY loathsome character -- spoiler[lusting over a teenager who wants nothing to do with him, assaulting said girl in front of her boyfriend at the ending… I'm glad he got his comeuppance at the end.]

Nadia's Gargoyle was another imposing intimidating villain. He's like Muska and Lepka from the earlier Conan, but he's much more down-to-earth about his evil and misguided. He's also cruelly manipulative and ruthless.

I'll also second Hamdo; now he was just a very unstable and truly psychotic baddie.
Acton

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:04 am Reply with quote
Junko666 wrote:
Okay this list already fails for having Kyubey on this list because its not a villain, its a well intentioned extremist. An antagonist possibly but its definitely not a villain. For starters something that is grey morality cannot compare to characters that are black. If we go by this logic than all anti-heroes should be villains as well. For example I would say Kiritsugu's (fate/zero) deeds were just as despicable if not more than what Kyubey did. Should he be on this list as well? NO This list should be for villains who are black and perform evil deeds just for their own entertainment or completely selfish reasons that benefit only themselves. Well intentioned extremists don't belong here.

I feel the same way about Kyubey, he (?) not a villain but his race do not have the capability to feel empathy,
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:55 am Reply with quote
Neither does HAL 9000, and it is pretty unanimously considered a villain. (Kyubey definitely falls into a gray area for me though.)
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:19 am Reply with quote
A clip that I heard of Todd Haberkorn as Obito in last year's Naruto game I felt captured Obito's cold nature so well. The below clip is from the subbed version when they find out Obito was Tobi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weMRKBS0y_Q

Obito has a notable (perhaps famous or infamous) line about how those that abandon the rules are trash but those who abandon their comrades are worse than that. Him helping Itachi orchestrate the Uchiha Slaughter I think exemplifies this. He could have helped stop the "good" Uchiha who didn't want to do the coup against the village.
jppcouto

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:02 pm Reply with quote
if this was "western fans", it would probably show up at least one FMA villain.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4