• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Macross Delta TV Series to Premiere in Spring With Lagrange, Kaleido Star Composers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:45 am Reply with quote
SayuriUliana wrote:
Besides, the CGI as it currently is no worse than Frontier TV's, so don't really see much of a problem.

Yeah, but Frontier is 8 years older. Frontier looked decent enough at that time, but using the same level of quality now, assuming it doesn't change, is kind of inexcusable. Especially when AKB0048 and Aquarion EVOL looked better.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:53 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen the first episode yet but I will soon since Delta is premiering in spring I'm curious to know which streaming service is picking this show up personally I hope that it's Funimation. Cool
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:14 am Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
I haven't seen the first episode yet but I will soon since Delta is premiering in spring I'm curious to know which streaming service is picking this show up personally I hope that it's Funimation. Cool

In the US, Macross series are in legal limbo soooo feel free to watch pirate streams or torrent it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:28 am Reply with quote
Yeah, it being picked up for streaming by anybody would be a huge deal because it would mean having to go through HG in some capacity. Or even if they skirted by that horror of a company, it's also a huge deal because it means their grasp on this franchise is weakening. spoiler[Even if Delta is bad, it'll still be better than anything Robotech.]
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:27 am Reply with quote
Just watched the Episode 1 preview and I liked it up to the Walkure action. I really felt they just crammed too much action into the fights that ruined the flow of the battle. Also, I really dislike the Walkure girls being on floating holographic platforms, because it felt like a complete ripoff of the AKB0048 Anime from a few years ago. Doesn't help either that Freija Wion is almost an exact copy of Nagisa.

Macross use to be it's own series, it's own genre. But now with Delta taking elements from other series, it just feels less like what a Macross should be.

EDIT: Just looked up the staff and most of them did work on the AKB anime. Disappointed, this is more like a Macross / AKB anime crossover. javascript:emoticon('Crying or Very sad')

johnnysasaki wrote:

Considering I'm huge Macross fan,I'm looking forward this new entry,but thanks to Harmony Gold,once again we won't be allowed to support this new anime.
Man,fudge Harmony Gold.Just die already and let us enjoy Macross...

This make it hard being an American Macross fan, it kills me that I want to support Macross, but can't because of them. And importing is just beyond my budget.
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:58 am Reply with quote
I think I'm going to have to give this one a pass. I expect some silliness in Macross, but I don't think I have enough suspension of disbelief for this one. I wasn't looking for a magical girl show, but that's basically what I got. That and the music is mostly forgettable, which is a big problem for a Macross show.

When they premiered the first episode of Frontier, I eagerly awaited more. This time around I'm not even certain I'll bother watching any more.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:15 am Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
When they premiered the first episode of Frontier, I eagerly awaited more. This time around I'm not even certain I'll bother watching any more.

Yeah, Sheryl's music in concert with that space battle got me instantly hooked to Frontier.
omiya

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:38 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Yeah, Sheryl's music in concert with that space battle got me instantly hooked to Frontier.

I'd heard some of the songs first, like Northern Cross and Iteza Gogo Kuji Don’t be late, and then the first song I saw live in concert by May'n was Kindan no Elixir (Sayonara no Tsubasa OP).

After that I found the Macross Frontier anime.

Maybe I'll take to Macross Delta if I hear some of the songs live first.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Liked it. Girl's cute and the battle was pretty awesome. Liked the songs as well.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:44 pm Reply with quote
I was so underwhelmed when they announced the main staff that I ended up enjoying this first episode a lot more than I expected to. Granted, it wasn't half as strong and exciting as Macross Frontier's premiere, but the animation is pretty good (CG excepted), the characters are likeable, the songs are catchy and there are some intriguing concepts in it. For instance, I was expecting the Aerial Knights to be rivals to the main characters, not straight-up antagonists.

But what made me truly relieved was the fact that Kawamori got his usual supervising director credit and even co-storyboarded the first episode, which means that, for better or worse, he's actually running the show instead of washing his hands off it like he did with Aquarion Logos.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:07 am Reply with quote
I have mixed feelings about that preview episode. The apparent main girl is pretty annoying and I want to murder whoever chose to make her heart-shaped clip transform into an antennae, but what little we heard of her voice sounded good, and I was never a big fan of Ranka, which didn't deter my enjoyment of Frontier. I like the design of the Sheryl girl, but I'm not that psyched for the idol unit concept because her voice is strong enough to make great solo songs. As for the songs themselves, the War Halation was was pretty forgettable, but I liked the one in the credits, although it doesn't even come close to Iteza Gogo Kuji Don't be Late.

The story so far felt kind of confusing, especially the action sequence, it was just all over the place. Until the Aerial Knights attacked the idols, I didn't even understand who was fighting who and for what. The CGI looks terrible too and the space battle was just incomprehensible, with people we don't know yelling the names of more people we don't know, and the camera work jumping from a shot of Valkyries shooting to shots of random pilots in their cockpits didn't help in the least.

It was okay, I guess it could've been worse and I do want to see how it continues. But I really hope we get something of the likes of Sheryl Nome's magnificent concerts at some point, since those were such a delight to watch
Wrangler

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:14 am Reply with quote
When i saw this, i thought "Oh my god, they ran out of ideas the sponsors are strong arming into current trends if they want their money".

Musical Magical Macross Mecha Girls vs evil Fold Songtress.

I have to agree this is like AKB0048-like show. Frankly, i don't have a lot of hope this will be a good show. Seriously. Sad

Animation ok, given it's on par with Frontier, which had decent story structure. Maybe the paying fans thought the Frontier's story was too slow in telling it's tale.

Flash, bang, singing, pretty girls, and dash of Mecha. Not Macross to me.

Macross 7 had more content this.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Is Macross the mecha series that the English speaking world can't own? Or am I mistaking it for another series that Harmony Gold has?

Cause, personally, I don't want to watch a series that I have no chance of owning. Because, if it does turn out to be a series I love, it'd be a series I'd want on my shelf...and unless Japan is gonna release it with English subs, I won't waste my time.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:04 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Is Macross the mecha series that the English speaking world can't own? Or am I mistaking it for another series that Harmony Gold has?

Cause, personally, I don't want to watch a series that I have no chance of owning. Because, if it does turn out to be a series I love, it'd be a series I'd want on my shelf...and unless Japan is gonna release it with English subs, I won't waste my time.

Don't waste your time.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Haha, alright. I will leave Macross as a franchise that I won't touch.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4