• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do Some Voice Actors Like Not Knowing About Their Roles?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:55 pm Reply with quote
All right; that is enough: DmonHiro & Just-another-face, neither one of you shall address the other unless it is in a painfully polite manner.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:59 pm Reply with quote
I don't see how I was being impolite. I did not curse or insult Just-another-face. Also, I'm only talking about anime dubbing, not American cartoons. And yes, I am anti-dub for the exact reason that anime dubbing is not taken as seriously in the West.
levonr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
that the English voice actors just don't seem to care. They don't fit the character at all, and don't even bother trying. Whereas the Japanese voice actors really put their all into it, even reading the original material if there is one. They take voice acting much more seriously than America does, and it shows.

What? Actor's goal is always to get more work. Its not in an actors best interest to lack effort because that would mean less work. You know anime voice actors get paid very little, yet they still stay. I've heard over & over of actors saying they have to really enjoy the acting for them to stay in this tough low pay business.

In the end it doesn't matter if their an anime expert that watches every anime they do or not. The only thing that matters is their job which is to act. I could care less if they seen the anime or read the manga.
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I was just trying to dispute what he was saying. If anime acting isn't being taken seriously in the U.S., then how does one explain the many fans who are dedicated to the actors and actresses who make appearances at anime conventions and such for the sake of said fans who appreciate what they do? I'm sorry, but I don't buy that weak argument that we don't take it seriously.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
What? Actor's goal is always to get more work. Its not in an actors best interest to lack effort because that would mean less work. You know anime voice actors get paid very little, yet they still stay. I've heard over & over of actors saying they have to really enjoy the acting for them to stay in this tough low pay business.
THIS!

It's what I've been finding what has been lacking with dubs as of late. The actors treat it as another paycheque as opposed to a stepping stone for a future career in voice acting. With that and the low pay in mind, it's obvious why some voice actors like not knowing about their roles: it's time consuming and not worth it. There are good handful of common voice actors who came from dubbing. Troy Baker and Steve Blum come to mind.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Just-another-face & DmonHiro--
Please continue your debate through PMs. I don't want to see it here. Thank you.
notrogersmith

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:44 pm Reply with quote
I can think of another reason why a voice actor would like to not know about his/her role. Imagine that you're stuck taking a voice acting gig for My Sister is a Ninja Maid Foxgirl. Sure, it's a paycheck, and you got to eat, but for the sake of your own sanity, wouldn't ignorance of what that anime's about be bliss?
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:53 pm Reply with quote
There's been many instances of voice talent either getting bored or didn't care and voice their characters lazily or back in the day, you had some voice actors in dubs outside of the US who may have been hired not knowing the anime or what was in said anime, coming in and ending up getting offended at the content and slacking off with the voice acting or worse going nuts with the dialogue producing results that range from a very hilarious gag dub to the obvious didn't try.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:13 pm Reply with quote
notrogersmith wrote:
...My Sister is a Ninja Maid Foxgirl.

Does this anime show really exist? I can't even find the title in ANN's Encyclopedia.
lemurs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:17 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
While I don't want to star the dub-vs-sub debate for the 7651928th time, you're the one who's wrong. Does America have schools for anime voice actors? Do American voice actors sell CDs? Voice acting is taken WAY more seriously in Japan then in America.

For most of them it's not an easy way to make a living. No matter which country they work in, it seems like most everybody's just trying to scrape by.
omiya

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I asked Cassandra Lee (Morris) at a Q&A at AVCON 2012 about the role of Kyuubey from Puella Madoka Magica. The Japanese voice actress was reportedly quite distressed part way through the voice recordings due to spoiler[Kyuubey going from innocuous and apparently friendly to evil] and the voice actress not knowing the story beforehand. I asked if Cassandra Lee (Morris) had been aware of the story ahead of time (English language voice actors being aware of the full anime story ahead of time has sometimes been mentioned as a negative impact on how they voice their roles), and she answered that she had not known of the full story ahead of her voicing Kyuubey.

Remember that Stanley Kubrick kept the script of Dr Stangelove from the actors as much as possible so as to avoid them appearing to know or not be surprised at what was going to happen next.

This "not knowing the outcome of the story" might be a little different from "not knowing about their roles" but I can see the value in leaving an element of surprise for the voice actors.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Come to think of it, the feeling of not knowing what goes on in a show could actually be a benefit in helping the acting sound more natural...
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:31 pm Reply with quote
In one commentary after another it is mentioned that the person directing the voice acting tells the actor how to sound and what emotion to project. If an English dub is poorly done, it is more likely the director's fault than that of the actor.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Come to think of it, the feeling of not knowing what goes on in a show could actually be a benefit in helping the acting sound more natural...

Yeah in specific moments in the show, but overall? No way, going into something not knowing your character or what the show is about until you're in the booth and about to do your lines just seems like a really bad practise.

And if you're not really into the show or connect with anime in general it's likely that even if you're not aware of lets say a very dramatic moment in the show it wouldn't matter if you're presented with it at the very moment you're supposed to do your lines, since the lack of interest in the show will prevent you from getting emotional about it anyways.
xchampion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:45 pm Reply with quote
When it comes to voice acting american dubs of anime it really is the low of the low when it comes to acting in american. Well, that's just how it is viewed within the industry and they truly get no respect within the industry either. They get paid like crap too. No joke.

I went to a voice acting panel at a convention here in Boise, Idaho last May. The panel consisted of Ian Sinclair who voiced Space Dandy and Monica Rial who voices Bulma in Dragonball series now. They put in this way. Ian Sinclair is the voice over guy for a Big Car Dealership in Chicago with several locations and he makes more money doing one session for those guys then he does for dubbing anime for a whole year.

A lot of American anime voice actors do it because they enjoy it and not because of the money. If it was only because of the money then no one would be voice dubbing anime. This is the truth. It's how it is and how it will alway be. I respect the hell out of the voice actors who dub anime and so should you. Even if you don't like dubs yourself. At least Seiyu in Japan get respect in their industry unlike their American counterparts.

If you want to trash the English dubbing industry at least understand how it works and what they have to do in relation to their pay before you do it. Rant over!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6