• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do Some Voice Actors Like Not Knowing About Their Roles?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raebo101

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
If an English dub is poorly done, it is more likely the director's fault than that of the actor.

Yep. For example, the Kekkai Sensen Broadcast Dub has been highly praised amongst the anime community, and that is because the dub had a very reliable ADR Director (Mike McFarland). Because of that, I'll often look at whoever directed the dub before looking at the cast list.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:25 pm Reply with quote
XChampion wrote:
...an awesome message.

You couldn't have said it any better. Had it not been for our English seiyuu here in the U.S., a huge chunk of anime shows would have gone unnoticed.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:33 pm Reply with quote
I never got the logic behind the idea that it helps them provide their own take on a character. Dubbing is not a writing job that allows for interpretation, dubbing is dubbing. You're supposed to provide English voice-over for an established character in an established story. Your interpretation of a character doesn't matter because unlike domestic animation or live-action movies, an actors improv can't be implemented into the script and change the product mid-production. You're dubbing over animation that was made years ago and is most likely already finished in Japan in the case of your usual 1-2 cour shows. If you try to make a character out to be one thing then later on the show does the opposite, then you wrote yourself into a corner.

-Stuart Smith
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:04 pm Reply with quote
I think there's too much cynicism going on in regards to interpreting how actors approach a role they get cast for.

First of all, these situations need to be understood on a case-by-case basis. How a role is approached doesn't just depend on the role itself or the actor. Sometimes the actor could have already been a fan of a show or film before they auditioned to be a part of it. Other times, that actor may not have had time to be fanatical or learn about the show because of their schedules between recording sessions for other projects or attending conventions they agreed to be a guest in months ahead of time or being interviewed for podcasts. Now it's certainly possible that some actors involved with anime are very passionless about the thing and are just here for a quick paycheck. But I've rarely, and I mean rarely have seen this to be true. And even if this did occur more frequently than I'm aware of, again, it's important to view these things on a case-by-case basis.

With all that being said though, I don't think this sort of thing should matter all that much. We can interpret how an actor chooses to approach a role however we'd like. But once an actor gets a part for a character in an anime with a big role, they'll likely be spending all day for however many days or weeks in the recording booth cooperating with the assigned voice director. When that happens, that actor will have to be willing to trust in where and how the voice director guides him or her. Sure, an actor who is already very knowledgeable about the character they got cast for can potentially make for a smoother recording session with the director. But knowledgeable about the role or not, they still need to trust in how the voice director gets them to approach portraying their characters. And thus, said voice director is responsible for providing sensible motivation, usage of famous characters from famous actors as a frame of reference, suggesting body language to help the actor feel more the part they voice and even not let the actor over-process whether their spoken lines match the lip flaps on screen. Depending on the role, the director may also need to be considerate of actor's voice (depending on the character role) and not have certain line deliveries be too straining on the voice, especially if the actor also does singing work on the side.

Sometimes the actor in return will offer suggestions that the voice director or script writer may not have considered and would work. Such examples include ideas for line delivery that may feel more like something the actor's character would say in a scene or mannerisms or a certain way of speaking. In between sessions for a dub, the actor may even attempt rituals to help further get into their character, like vocal exercises in car rides to work. When that sort of thing occurs in a recording session (and it may happen more often than the stories I've heard of for all I know), then both the actor and director are really into how said character would need to be portrayed. At the end of the day, what matters is that both get to this satisfactory point in the session.

Last edited by Hypeathon on Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Raebo101

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:12 am Reply with quote
^ Well said, Hypeathon. Well said.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:42 am Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
Voice acting has never seemed like a fun job to me. Every time I play a sports game like Madden or NBA Live and they have the announcers calling the games for you, I always wonder how many hours those announcers had to spend in the booths recording each individual player's name, in probably three or four different inflections per player to match up with when they make good/bad/great plays, plus all the various calls about passing/shooting/scoring that need to have enough variety so the gamer doesn't get bored hearing the exact same "he shoots, he scores!" dialogue fifty times every playing session. I mean, that's got to be a pretty tedious process, and they don't even have the diversion of matching a story to their dialogue like an anime VA would.

Well yeah, voice acting is still a job, and is still acting. Doing multiple takes is in the description. Robin Atkin Downes didn't sign up for Metal Gear Solid V expecting to roll into the booth do one take of all of Kaz's lines, and bounce.

That said, the announcers in your sports games you just mentioned are usually the actual announcers who work these events, so they're used to having to talk at length calling these plays.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:18 am Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
Depending on the role, the director may also need to be considerate of actor's voice (depending on the character role) and not have certain line deliveries be too straining on the voice, especially if the actor also does singing work on the side.

This is particularly important for male seiyuu. There have been many instances where, in English versions of anime shows, mature male seiyuu have been used to voice male child characters, both in the past and present, resulting in strained performances and the characters sounding sharply older than their age. There are instances of this sort of practice occurring with Japanese male seiyuu as well, but they're rare cases.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:18 am Reply with quote
I too believe that "American" Anime voice acting is a work of passion and not just another pay check they could make more money working at McDonald's but instead dedicate their own time voice acting because they are fans it's the reason why they got into business and they work their butts off doing it. Cool
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:36 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Hypeathon wrote:
Depending on the role, the director may also need to be considerate of actor's voice (depending on the character role) and not have certain line deliveries be too straining on the voice, especially if the actor also does singing work on the side.

This is particularly important for male seiyuu. There have been many instances where, in English versions of anime shows, mature male seiyuu have been used to voice male child characters, both in the past and present, resulting in strained performances and the characters sounding sharply older than their age. There are instances of this sort of practice occurring with Japanese male seiyuu as well, but they're rare cases.

I'm... not entirely sure we're on the same page when referring to the term 'straining' in voice acting. What I was referring to specifically with the word are cases where actors if not guided with the right care by the voice director can risk making their voice sore, even potentially losing their voices. Instances such as when characters are suppose to hold a scream at the top of their lungs or being expressive using a voice outside an actor's comfort zone and are thus sensitive to.

In terms of male actors providing a young-sounding voice that's outside of their comfort zone, it can be straining but I've never heard it actually being harmful to the actor's voice, which is what I'm talking about.
Haterater

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:00 am Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
I too believe that "American" Anime voice acting is a work of passion and not just another pay check they could make more money working at McDonald's but instead dedicate their own time voice acting because they are fans it's the reason why they got into business and they work their butts off doing it. Cool

This is why I appreciate them so much. Especially the ones that go out of their way to truly bring out a stunning performance with hard constraints.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:11 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
I never got the logic behind the idea that it helps them provide their own take on a character. Dubbing is not a writing job that allows for interpretation, dubbing is dubbing. You're supposed to provide English voice-over for an established character in an established story. Your interpretation of a character doesn't matter because unlike domestic animation or live-action movies, an actors improv can't be implemented into the script and change the product mid-production. You're dubbing over animation that was made years ago and is most likely already finished in Japan in the case of your usual 1-2 cour shows. If you try to make a character out to be one thing then later on the show does the opposite, then you wrote yourself into a corner.

-Stuart Smith

This is Bullshit and let me tell you why. A dubs priority is to make a show more understandable and enjoyable to the TARGET (I caps the important words) audience. If you like the Japanese dub and think they can make no mistake on how a character can and should be played out then so be it, just watch the Japanese dub.

However, if you want to see a show with more relation to where you are from and more of what you are used too, they you could watch the dub. Notice that the best dub are not just mindless reciprocation of their counter parts but actual involvement of the cast. Shows like Dragon Ball Z, Oh, Edo Rocket and The Melancholy of Haurhi Suzamiya wouldn't be nearly as entertaining and have a dub that surpasses the sub (to an English speaking audience, mind you). Actors like Crispen Freeman, Wendee Lee, Luci Christian, and Chris Patton have many roles that rival if are not unanimously praised as having preformed a part better then their Japanese counterparts. They achieve this NOT by just going by the script but by adding bit into a scene that were not present in the original but, in doing so, enhanced said scenes to surpass the original work and make it (dare I say it) BETTER for English speaking audience then the original. I don't know about you but I usually don't care about who did it FIRST but who did it BEST.

For if a dubs purpose was to reciprocate their Japanese counterpart then it can at best be just as good as the Japanese and never better. What is the point in that.

Last edited by rinkwolf10 on Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:21 am; edited 2 times in total
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:12 am Reply with quote
Now I wonder: When David Vincent was cast as Senketsu in Kill la Kill, was he told beforehand that he'll have to narrate like an auctioneer in one of the cold openings?

MFrontier wrote:
I also remember reading about how Sonny Strait often reads ahead for the stuff he's working on if it has an accompanying manga, like for One Piece.

He does, but he's not caught up with the manga the way Mike MacFarland (voice of Buggy) or J. Michael Tatum (voice of Eneru) are. Then again, Mike MacFarland was a former ADR director, so he had to be caught up by necessity. Ian Sinclair (voice of Brook) also seems to know a lot more about the series than I'd expect.

D00dleB0Y wrote:
I really like how you answer shitty questions like these but ignore more interesting questions like "Why aren't more Japanese anime featuring college students as the protagonists?" or "Could long-running anime continue to profit off low DVD sales?"

Good! If you like them, then there's no problem to be had.

XChampion wrote:
When it comes to voice acting american dubs of anime it really is the low of the low when it comes to acting in american. Well, that's just how it is viewed within the industry and they truly get no respect within the industry either. They get paid like crap too. No joke.

I went to a voice acting panel at a convention here in Boise, Idaho last May. The panel consisted of Ian Sinclair who voiced Space Dandy and Monica Rial who voices Bulma in Dragonball series now. They put in this way. Ian Sinclair is the voice over guy for a Big Car Dealership in Chicago with several locations and he makes more money doing one session for those guys then he does for dubbing anime for a whole year.

A lot of American anime voice actors do it because they enjoy it and not because of the money. If it was only because of the money then no one would be voice dubbing anime. This is the truth. It's how it is and how it will alway be. I respect the hell out of the voice actors who dub anime and so should you. Even if you don't like dubs yourself. At least Seiyu in Japan get respect in their industry unlike their American counterparts.

If you want to trash the English dubbing industry at least understand how it works and what they have to do in relation to their pay before you do it. Rant over!

On the other hand, American voice actors (including Canadian ones) who don't do anime dubbing get almost no publicity or notability at all, though they are paid a lot more. I can no longer find the source, but I remember reading about how Billy West (Fry in Futurama, present voice of Bugs Bunny, and a thousand other things) feels jealous of how guys like Vic Mignogna can travel to many conventions a year doing autograph sessions at all of them but even fans of shows he stars in mostly don't know who he is, even though West is currently one of the top-paid voice actors in America.

Something that I do know for sure, though, is that Frank Welker gets a killing of an income by being the premier animal voice person in North America. (Voicing Fred in Scooby-Doo for the past fifty years and Oswald the Lucky Rabbit helps too.)
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:28 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
On the other hand, American voice actors (including Canadian ones) who don't do anime dubbing get almost no publicity or notability at all, though they are paid a lot more. I can no longer find the source, but I remember reading about how Billy West (Fry in Futurama, present voice of Bugs Bunny, and a thousand other things) feels jealous of how guys like Vic Mignogna can travel to many conventions a year doing autograph sessions at all of them but even fans of shows he stars in mostly don't know who he is, even though West is currently one of the top-paid voice actors in America.

Something that I do know for sure, though, is that Frank Welker gets a killing of an income by being the premier animal voice person in North America. (Voicing Fred in Scooby-Doo for the past fifty years and Oswald the Lucky Rabbit helps too.)

Just to let you know but Every main cast member of the Simpsons like Harry Shearer gets about $300,000 per episode they are used in and they were receiving $400,000 per episode in 2008.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:59 am Reply with quote
If VAing really is a work of passion, as someone above described it, you'd think the VAs would've seen the the titles or shown any kind of interest in the original work. But it really just seems they move from project to project, and many don't even watch the shows they star in, which has become even more clear after seeing a couple of interviews/commentaries where the dub actors just didn't know much at all about the shows they had just starred in which seems a little bit sad.

Rinkwolf wrote:
Actors like Crispen Freeman, Wendee Lee, Luci Christian, and Chris Patton have many roles that rival if are not unanimously praised as having preformed a part better then their Japanese counterparts Neutral.

Unanimously? Where? In a smaller, more contained community for dub fans perhaps, but in larger, more diverse arenas, nope. Nearly all natively English speaking people I know vastly prefers the original and outside a few older nostalgic shows like Pokemon most don't really watch dubs.

And that becomes more evident by looking at what someone posted earlier in the thread, that "many shows would've gone unnoticed if it weren't for English VAs", which is quite a hilarious statement considering that anime shows become hyped up and are discussed/spoken about during the initial airing, not after the dubs have been produced Anime smile + sweatdrop.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:07 am Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
Nearly all natively English speaking people I know vastly prefers the original and outside a few older nostalgic shows like Pokemon most don't really watch dubs.

Okay, but what about the other millions of people who like anime, especially the ones younger than you?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6