• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Ajin Manga Creator Plans to Return to Ero-Manga Roots

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:39 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

Wow, I had no idea about the author switch. That makes a bit more sense. Any idea why the original author left?

I don't know for certain, but Tsuina Miura might have started working on the weekly series Hi-Rise Invasion/Tenkuu Shinpan about 2 years ago (since it's on chapter 103 right now). Maybe writing two+ series (especially if Ajin is/was also weekly) was too much work.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:59 am Reply with quote
Well, can't fault the guy for doing something he wants to do, hopefully he'll also continue to put out stuff that isn't loli hentai. Gamon Sakurai isn' t the greatest storyteller but he draws great action scenes.

ZODDGUTS wrote:
The story in Ajin took a dive when the original writer Miura Tsuina left the series, after that the artist took over as story writer it became a bit more shonen-ish action series rather than a horror mystery Seinen series when it first started.

Personally, I never found the early part of Ajin to be that good even when Miura Tsuina was writing it.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:14 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I suppose that makes sense, though he could independently publish a non-ero story and have just as much freedom, this is more about him getting away from Ajin specifically, it seems. If he is able to make enough money through ero-manga and it's more creatively fulfilling for him, then more power to him!

The manga industry works in a way that "independently published works" or doujinshi, rarely ever get any recognition unless the artist is already hugely popular. Doujin also have limited print runs, and the whole process can be a lot of work to produce everything from art creation to final product.

There are benefits to working with a publisher, such as royalties, possible future book deals, and exposure through manga magazines. It's where the paychecks of most all manga-ka come through.

However the price of this is fitting to whatever the editor of that particular magazine wants. Some H-manga magazines keep it pretty tame with vanilla only stories, others are loli-centric. If a hentai manga artist wants to do something a little less mainstream (or any kind of manga artist really) they turn to doing their own doujinshi on the side of still being printed professionally with a publisher.
Paul D. Atreides

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:36 am Reply with quote
There's nothing really sexual about Ajin's art to indicate that he had a history with ero-manga. As opposed to Food Wars which was brought up earlier.

I'm curious what he will come up with.
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:34 am Reply with quote
I was going to check out Ajin but after finding out here that the original author left and it became more like a shonen action series...not so sure anymore.

Also regarding Shokugeki no Soma's illustrator doing ero-manga; I love Soma's artwork so I had to check out his dojins and I was quite disappointed. Not because it was hentai (that would be stupid considering I already knew) but because apparently if he has free realm to draw how he wants, he gets a lot more disproportionate anatomic-wise and it's quite unpleasant.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:01 am Reply with quote
A lot more manga artist do h-manga than people realise. To just name a few:

Spice and Wolf's manga artist Keito Koume still does H-manga to this day, and some of it is even licensed here.

Cuvie who does a ballet manga called Kenrantaru Grande Seene also does it. (and they're a woman)

Okama, known for character designs and manga like Cloth Road.

Range Murata even supplies artwork to some of the major hentai magazines, though he doesn't draw manga.

There's nothing shameful in doing H-manga. People just enjoy doing it.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:25 am Reply with quote
^
Yup.

Fantastic artists in that list.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2