• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese BD/DVD Sales Down 5.1% From 2014, Anime BD/DVD Sales Down 6.9%

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:20 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

The thing is that there isn't that great of an indication which series will be mega hits. Take Infinite Stratos. It was 'just another LN adaption' of a not super popular LN. It ended up with massive disc sales and the anime caused the books to break a million sales that year. A lot of the lower budget shows also don't need to make all that much to just break even. They can make up for a large number of minor losses with even one reasonable hit.

Like Hollywood's tentpole system. But that works when everything is under the umbrella of a studio, but may not for a production committee system comprised of separate businesses.

Ya can approximate the colored chart before like the different businesses of a production committee - some businesses may continue to grow while others shrink, but those businesses that are shrinking cannot be compensated by those businesses that are growing, since they are separate and not under the same umbrella. For those that are shrinking, it's not a good system for them.

relyat08 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Until "BD quality" becomes not good enough like "DVD quality" is becoming

Aye, but DVDs are still around 13 years after the advent of Blu-ray, and many think they will go strong for a while even still. Even if Blu-rays become like DVDs, they'll stick around for a good long while.

Was more referring to the Japan market. DVD is pretty much dead to Japanese otaku, so J-production has been fine-tuned towards BD system. When BD becomes dead to J-otaku, J-production would shift to the next gen UHD-BD, so anything not fine-tuned towards UHD-BD system would be not optimized and a downgrade.

J-otaku tend to be early adopters of higher technology than the general population. Expect BD to be phased out sooner with them. N. America may continue to release BDs like NA continue to release DVDs right now, but it'll be a downgrade from the Japanese masters just like DVDs are right now.

SilverTalon01 wrote:

If it isn't actually produced in 4k, a 4k bluray is pretty pointless.

J-otaku don't care; they're crazy for the highest quality available.

TarsTarkas wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Though all the while the current anime model may continue to shrink.

Considering the amount of anime we are getting, I don't see a shrinking anime model.

I don't see the numbers as a shrinking market, but just a normal fluctuating market.

If home video revenues continue to shrink, they won't be able to afford piling losses. So either they have to charge even more increasing home video prices, or keep shrinking the budgets.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:30 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

If home video revenues continue to shrink, they won't be able to afford piling losses. So either they have to charge even more increasing home video prices, or keep shrinking the budgets.

I don't think that is a significant issue with Japanese fans. Japanese fans can watch their shows on TV, so streaming is not all that relevant either. Japanese fans that buy media, do so to own. It is not an issue that I have to buy to watch it. They want to own their favorite shows.

I think the Japanese anime market is insulated to some degree from the overall physical media decline. Streaming anime in Japan is not an issue (like in the West), because the Japanese can already watch their anime on TV. So those that just want to watch and those that just want to own, already do so.

If there are any near future changes they'll be brought out by a collapsing Japanese economy (not hoping for that). Otherwise any change to the production committee model will happen over a long period of time, and we will only notice it long after the change has become significant.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:33 pm Reply with quote
@enurtsol

That makes me wonder if it'll have any impact on pricing and reverse importation fears, if JP distributors move almost entirely to 4k, while US distributors stay at BD.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:11 am Reply with quote
Besides streaming (including illegal), piracy, company bankruptcy, and high-priced discs , what other reasons might factor for this steep decline?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5