• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Chika Chika Idol Kickstarter Campaign Falls Short of Goal

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:42 pm Reply with quote
To be fair though, 3-D CG is a relatively inexpensive way for a small studio to produce an animated work. Way less expensive than doing it frame by frame in 2-D, and it takes way less time too. 3-D CG anime about idol bands can work too, like that Evangelion short from last year.

No doubt this group decided to do 3-D CG to minimize costs, and likely because they had at least one person experienced in 3-D animation. The problem is that, like any other form of animation, the lower the budget and time, the worse it's going to look. Stuff like Pixar movies have teams of dozens, if not hundreds, and they might spend a year or more doing a tiny portion of a movie (sometimes even one shot), and there are whole teams on different aspects, like lighting, fur and hair, and squash-and-stretch. That preview's animation looks like the work of one person who's been trained to do 3-D animation but didn't have the time to fine-tune everything.

CrowLia wrote:
The character designs look like they were taken straight from a "how to draw animu 101" book and the hair in particular is atrocious.

What, those Christopher Hart books? These looks pretty authentic to me. No Japanese company can ever even approach the nightmare fuel Christopher Hart creates when commissioned to "draw anime-style."
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The campaign only earned US$22,934, falling short of its US$130,000 goal.

Interesting interpretation of "falling short"
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:39 am Reply with quote
If ya gonna Kickstarter something, might as well do something more original.

If it's just gonna be like those millions other shows, those shows people can already watch for free on TV.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:58 am Reply with quote
Despite the failure of the Kickstarter, the creators of Chika Chika Idol aren't calling it quits yet...
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Despite the failure of the Kickstarter, the creators of Chika Chika Idol aren't calling it quits yet...

That's a good spirit to have. If a project of yours just doesn't catch on, no need to dig your grave. Just pick yourself back up and try something else some other time (provided you can get the backing needed for it, which crowdfunding is for).

Of course, in some countries, that's easier said than done. I don't know how Japan stands on it, but I know in China, once you fail once, it's pretty much over for you because you'll be known to everyone as a person who failed. In the United States, you're encouraged to keep trying until you can find success.
MrBonk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:01 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Quote:
The anime would use a "cell look" style of 3D CG animation

There's the reason for the failure. That PV looks awful. Even if at times it sort of mimicks the look of 2D, the movements look terrible. The whole sequence with the girl with the cat on her face is cringe-worthy. The character designs look like they were taken straight from a "how to draw animu 101" book and the hair in particular is atrocious. I didn't visit the Kickstarter page, but the PV isn't really offering anything to distinguish it from all the thousands of existing idol animes.

On a tangential note, is there actually any notable sector in otaku groups clamoring for more 3DCGI anime? Why would they mention that as if it were a "special" or "desirable" feature for this show?

Not at all. Rolling Eyes the animation looked fine. Great even despite the poor lip flaps.

The bigger problem is that it's just another stock idol show that only appeals to a certain demographic. A type of show pandering to otaku that shouldn't have problem with traditional funding. There's no interest in funding such a show.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:22 am Reply with quote
MrBonk wrote:
The bigger problem is that it's just another stock idol show that only appeals to a certain demographic. A type of show pandering to otaku that shouldn't have problem with traditional funding. There's no interest in funding such a show.

The people that took part in crowdfunding Chika Chika Idol would disagree with that...
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
The people that took part in crowdfunding Chika Chika Idol would disagree with that...

The problem is that there aren't enough of them, or the few who pledged didn't want to give more money (or their budget and/or paychecks don't allow them to), which is why the campaign failed big-time.

In other words, there is interest, but not enough to reach their funding goal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2