• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation's Escaflowne Dub Casts Vic Mignogna, Felecia Angelle, Michelle Rojas

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheMorry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:46 am Reply with quote
Now it's just waiting for all Vic haters to whine and will redraw their plegde to the campain. lmao.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:50 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I don't know of any outstanding issues with Outlaw Star's dub -- afaik there aren't new Japan-exclusive scenes to dub, and people remember the dub fondly enough from the Toonami days.
You are probably right, though at this rate I wonder if they will even release it, the company who rescued it in the UK, released it within a year of acquiring the licence.
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:04 am Reply with quote
Dark Cloud Overhead wrote:
Ha, I can't believe people here are happy about this. Folken is supposed to be menacing, and I'm sorry but Vic's voice isn't the least bit menacing to me. I can't have imagined a much worse casting choice than this for Folken I think honestly. Actually, yes I could, but still, he's far from what I had hoped for. This just makes me a little less sad I decided to drop my pledge; although, it was mainly for other reasons that I did so.

I'll just quote this to save me time. Very Happy Rolling Eyes

God, Mendoza, Silvermask, Broily (hated it. and he has the nerve to complain about its difficulty) etc. Oh OK, let's do a deep, snake-like voice and that'll be a bad guy/dark hero . Such great flexibility.

I'm with bird brain (Penguin).
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:13 am Reply with quote
Feels like watching a train crash before leaving the station grounds, to be honest.

Was willing to give this a chance but my mind is screaming to jump ship. Funi is clearly not understanding the show's cast. Unless Vic's developed massive range that he can use over the years, he's a giant miscast.

This entire dub screams how Funimation only likes using their own voice cast and doesn't like working outside the box. Sentai will at least TRY to get casts back together. Kind of a shame they've essentiallly got a monopoly on the NA anime industry.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:21 am Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
Was willing to give this a chance but my mind is screaming to jump ship. Funi is clearly not understanding the show's cast. Unless Vic's developed massive range that he can use over the years, he's a giant miscast.

This entire dub screams how Funimation only likes using their own voice cast and doesn't like working outside the box. Sentai will at least TRY to get casts back together. Kind of a shame they've essentiallly got a monopoly on the NA anime industry.

Uh... You're ragging on Funimation for using old voice actors yet you praise Sentai for doing the exact same thing? Hypocrisy aside, Funimation is actually bringing in a lot of new voice talent. Things like Attack on Titan have the big shots in very minor roles (Vic dies), yet launched many of the other actors, most notably Bryce Papenbrook and Austin Tindle, to stardom. And with broadcast dubs, Funimation is getting their hands on plenty of new talent like Sarah Wiedenheft and Ricco Fajardo.

If you guys remember Vic's Nagato from Naruto Shippuden, you know he can pull off sickening, menacing roles. Not everything he plays is the next Edward or Tamaki. Let's just hear this one out.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:33 am Reply with quote
HahahaHa! I freaking knew Funimation couldn't resist slapping Vic in this dub but, honestly I would have cast him as Allen. He can do light, royal voices much better than brooding especially since Folken's Japanese VA is Jouji Nakata who has gone on to voice Kirei in the Fate anime. Even Bandai's dub couldn't quite replicate it but, managed a decent performance. Whelp, I have no plans of ditching my Bandai set but, I look forward to the Dub once its online.

The box art looks wonderful though, just like the Japanese version.
Nyghtwynd

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:49 am Reply with quote
IF I decide to get this it will probably be when the mass market release is out, and even then, maybe one of their sales or a S.A.V.E edition or something.
I am in no rush to replace my excellent condition Bandai set.
TamenishDragon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:04 am Reply with quote
What a stellar cast! Should be good Smile
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:04 am Reply with quote
I can understand your disappointment at Folken not being voiced by someone deep enough for him, but god-DANG, Penguin, "ye of little faith" much?
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:23 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:

Uh... You're ragging on Funimation for using old voice actors yet you praise Sentai for doing the exact same thing? Hypocrisy aside, Funimation is actually bringing in a lot of new voice talent. Things like Attack on Titan have the big shots in very minor roles (Vic dies), yet launched many of the other actors, most notably Bryce Papenbrook and Austin Tindle, to stardom. And with broadcast dubs, Funimation is getting their hands on plenty of new talent like Sarah Wiedenheft and Ricco Fajardo.

If you guys remember Vic's Nagato from Naruto Shippuden, you know he can pull off sickening, menacing roles. Not everything he plays is the next Edward or Tamaki. Let's just hear this one out.

Complete opposite actually. I'm ragging on Funimation for not using the same VAs for shows with established casts. If you've seen my other posts on the subject, you'll know of my issues with them. The fact we're getting a completely redub for what amounts to 10 minutes is ridiculous. You could've easily shuffled off the DC scenes off to be a special feature section (considering how barren Funi's Special Features normally are.) Honestly reminds me of people saying that the Gundam SEED HD Remasters couldn't use the old dub which ended up being proven grossly wrong.

Bryce's stardom didn't happen because AoT unless you only watch Funi dubs. He was Asbel in Graces and Kiri in SAO's dub, better performances too. Then again, I wasn't a big fan of his performance or the performances in the dub for AoT in general.

I'm not a fan of Vic's Nagato from my experience. Mind you, I've only played the games for Shippuden and not the anime because way too much goddamn filler. It could better in the show but his voice just don't click when I think of Folken. He might've been a better cast as Allen but as Folken? Horrible cast choice from the outset. Could surprise, assuming he's developed a deeper range and actually uses it.

I'm just not a fan of this entire redub. Some of them may bring bring in good performances but this just seems like a mess, ESPECIALLY given the Kickstarter quotes.

Quote:
For Escaflowne's 20th anniversary, join us in creating a new, definitive dub of this classic that finally matches the uncut HD content!

"Definitive."
I really don't think this will be definitive, especially given the already massive divide on the cast and the kickstarter itself.
Zetabag

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:50 am Reply with quote
Hmm...I'm just gonna assume that Vic has a lot of range becuase when I think of his voice all I can hear is Ed from FMA and Kurt Weber from FMP.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:19 am Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:

BlazBlue and Hyperdimension Neptunia: Funimation brought back as much of the original casts as they could, with only a few exceptions for each (it is weird that they got Julie Ann Taylor and Kate Higgins for BlazBlue but not Neptunia, but I digress). Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya and Rozen Maiden Zurückspulen: Sentai recast everyone (Carli Mosier instead of Mela Lee as Rin Tohsaka, Jessica Calvello instead of Karen Strassman as Suigintou, et cetera, et cetera).
TheMorry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:38 am Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
Feels like watching a train crash before leaving the station grounds, to be honest.

Rozen Maiden: Zurückspulen anyone? The ONLY reason that Sentai got most of the cast back for Utawarerumono OVA is because Sentai is the former ADV. The VA ADV worked with, work nowdays mostly for Sentai thise days anyway.

Let's just talk about Funimation efforts to bring the old cast back for diffrent shows: Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail (complete original) cast, Eureka Seven AO( Stephanie Sheh as Eureka, Johnny Yong Bosch as Renton Thurston play their original rolls), Ikkitousen 3rd and 4th sequel. (original cast, The Slayers Revolution & The Slayers Evolution-R (original cast), Disappearance of Nagato Yuki chan (complete original cast). So before you start to trash Funimation I suggest you get your facts right.

{Edit}: I suggest you leave out personal insults and rude flamebait comments. Like the one I removed from the beginning of your post. ~ Psycho 101
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:54 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I don't know of any outstanding issues with Outlaw Star's dub -- afaik there aren't new Japan-exclusive scenes to dub, and people remember the dub fondly enough from the Toonami days.

Dear lord, I hope no one redubs Outlaw Star. Not only is the dub still fantastic after all this time, but Richard Epcar will always be Duuz! :0

Last edited by belvadeer on Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:19 pm Reply with quote
I am usually not very picky when it comes to English dubs, but I am starting to think that perhaps Funimation is being too cute by casting well known voice actors to make a splash, instead of casting lesser known people that can be better fits.

And another thing, perhaps because of Funimation's decision to announce cast members every time the campaign generated another 10k, they might have rushed and picked the first VA who came to mind. If so, it is a terrible idea.

penguintruth wrote:
It's not my job to cast these things well, it's theirs. I don't have their resources. But from the Funimation talent pool I'm aware of, I'd probably get Jason Liebrecht as Van, Alexis Tipton as Hitomi instead of Merle, who would be played by Monica Rial, and somebody like Chuck Huber or J. Michael Tatum to play Folken. Ian Sinclair could play Allen and Josh Grell or Greg Ayres could be Dilandau.

Your nitpicking with this dub has been kind of ridiculous, but I must admit that your casting choices look better than what Funimation is doing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4