• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 68% of Japanese College Students Polled Have Never Seen Gundam

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:42 pm Reply with quote
If this poll was aimed towards people outside Japan, they easily answer yes.
And the most mentioned series was Seed and Wing, it is the most popular Gundam series ever watched compared to classic 0079 or Zeta.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Im not surprised about this results. Is a old franchise and "even if the Gundam titles and products are known names, the genre and contents themselves are perhaps less appealing to the college demographic. For many people who did see it, it was through the influence of their father or brother, too."

Re-runs are very rare in Japanese TV, A anime is something to be watched 1 time and that's it, except for the few people that buy the DVD/BD. And the young people are always looking for the next new thing.
Topgunguy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Hikarunu wrote:
If this poll was aimed towards people outside Japan, they easily answer yes.
And the most mentioned series was Seed and Wing, it is the most popular Gundam series ever watched compared to classic 0079 or Zeta.

Rightfully so, they were really good. I like them better than Universal Century.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:52 pm Reply with quote
32% is HUGE if this mean just the original series! Most of the people polled weren't even alive when it came out. Could you think of any piece of media, that isn't required to be consume in school, where 32% of the college student have watched/read it in america/europe? I doubt 32% of people have fully read the bible even in very religious area.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:04 pm Reply with quote
32% is actually pretty substantial.

DuelGundam2099 wrote:
Considering that most college students there are planning to train in 60 hour a week jobs I'm more amazed they would have time for television, only 68% is actually a surprise.

Japanese college isn't like it is here. Once you're into one, its pretty smooth sailing.
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:38 pm Reply with quote
A former college student like me has never watched any one of the entries in the Gundam series in their entirety.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:28 pm Reply with quote
That's ridiculous. What are they teaching in the schools these days?!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Well with anything that's almost forty years old there's eventually a cut off period where the majority of people under the age of twenty has never seen it. Which is a real shame since nothing beats the classics. Crying or Very sad
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:32 am Reply with quote
Isn't this issue what all the reboots/remakes like SEED were supposed to address?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:14 am Reply with quote
This is why I tend to not trust polls. They will survey a small population then apply the results to a general populous. That is called exaggeration. If they had literally surveyed all Japanese college students, then that 68% would carry more weight.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:36 am Reply with quote
Neither have I. Tried to watch the original Gundam, but it's so slow and so boring. Half the episodes look like crap and are also filler (meaningless to the plot in any real way). It's not really a good show. It got cut to 37 episodes for a reason, you know.
Kosmogonia

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:46 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Neither have I. Tried to watch the original Gundam, but it's so slow and so boring. Half the episodes look like crap and are also filler (meaningless to the plot in any real way). It's not really a good show. It got cut to 37 episodes for a reason, you know.

Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:55 am Reply with quote
Give this another ten to fifteen years and they're going to be asking the exact same questions about Pokemon and Yugioh.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
silentjay

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:35 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
32% is actually pretty substantial.

Yeah. I mean, I'm pretty sure it eclipses the number of Americans who've watched Star Trek (on TV.) A lot of people forget this is still pretty niche in Japan, a bigger niche, but still a niche.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
This is why I tend to not trust polls. They will survey a small population then apply the results to a general populous. That is called exaggeration. If they had literally surveyed all Japanese college students, then that 68% would carry more weight.
Larger sample sizes make for less error, but if the sample population is carefully selected, you can still make generalized statements with a reasonable degree of accuracy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3