• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Makoto Shinkai Comments on your name.'s 10 Billion Yen Revenue

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:50 am Reply with quote
7jaws7 wrote:
Being humble/modest is nice once in a while, but the man needs to recognize his own talent and realize what he's capable of doing next.

Having achieved such a feat, it is now Shinkai's unique privilege to act humbly about it.
One can only imagine the private glee he must feel as he shrugs off the achievement and depreciates himself. Much like certain displays of contrition, gestures of humility can often be a coded expression of the exact opposite sentiment...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kreion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:07 am Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:

What is up with all the hate for Charlotte I hear on ANN for it. Everyone I've recommended it too loved it and I really enjoyed it. To the point for re watching it a second time right after finishing it the first go.

I particular enjoyed the direction the last episode took the show and my only gripe with it is that it was not a 2 cour show. I loved what they did with the last episode, but that whole story could have been told in another cour. However, it somehow told the story concisely and competently enough that you got the feeling that it was a whole cour. So, why the hate?

Ugh, Charlotte.

Basically - if you look at it critically the first part of the show does little to lead up to the last part of the show, it's confused as to what kind of series it wants to be. The first half is entirely school life and dealing with powers with (imo) some of the least original comedy I have ever seen played as though it's supposed to be funny. The MC who is supposed to be an asshole never really is one after the start which defeats the point of him being one to begin with. The second half suddenly ups the stakes and makes a certain episode's emotional impact completely pointless. I don't know how you can support the last episode where they rushed an entire arc's content into one and forced two characters together who have little to no chemistry.

Not to mention it just suddenly adds all these characters we are supposed to care about...the pacing is completely off-beat.

It was a mess of a series imo - I don't think I'd ever recommend it to anyone that has a good grasp of storytelling, which is most of the people I know.

There was a show called something like 'where superpowers become everyday' and that did a far better job at basically everything that Carlotte wanted to do. It still fell into the trap of having a bigger plot by the end but it doesn't focus on it and doesn't rush into it. In addition, that anime felt like it was aware of what it was and played off those sterotypes and fiddled with them where appropriate - Charlotte felt like it legitmately thought it's characters were interesting and they are just SO generic and bland.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Good for him. He has always struck me as a too little self deprecating though. I'd like to see him own his talents just a little bit more. I don't need him to be cocky, but when creators say things like "I thought people might enjoy it" it kind of comes off as if he didn't have a lot to say with his work. Maybe a little passion and excitement would help.

Alabaster Spectrum wrote:
What a classic act. Here you have him being humble about a monumental achievement for a non-Ghibli director while you had the producer for Anthem of The Heart talking smack about it being made to be the successor to Ghibli and Hosoda class box office hauls which I still haven't forgotten about.

Can you link that? I'd very much be interested in seeing those comments directly.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:34 am Reply with quote
@zrnzle500 and Kuro shinigami I didn't say Urobochi-san deserved flak for CD and I did say "and company" so maybe Aikawa-san deserves some, but unless you can (truthfully) deny he didn't get flak for CD, my point stands. I know he tried to distance himself from the production, but his name was all over the advertisements and I believe he was questioned about his involvement in an interview, so more than myself thought he was associated and/or responsible. Maybe I should have mentioned Watanabe-san and Terror in Resonance instead, which got it's fair share of dings. If I were Shinkai-sensei, I wouldn't make anything for a few years and use as many non-Shinkai lovers as possible to critique any proposed concepts before making another show. Even Miyazaki got some negative press for The Wind Rises and he is more an established presence.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:52 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
@zrnzle500 and Kuro shinigami I didn't say Urobochi-san deserved flak for CD and I did say "and company" so maybe Aikawa-san deserves some, but unless you can (truthfully) deny he didn't get flak for CD, my point stands. I know he tried to distance himself from the production, but his name was all over the advertisements and I believe he was questioned about his involvement in an interview, so more than myself thought he was associated and/or responsible.

Can you link any of that stuff? I haven't seen Urobuchi get any flack for CD on English boards, beyond very occasional things, like your comment. Most people seem to be fully aware that he didn't actually have anything to do with it. I haven't seen Narita, or Nasu get any notable flack for it either. People seem pretty content to just forget that that abomination existed at all.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Some of us are keeping CD's memory alive. Over at the thread for the weekly episode rankings, Chaos Dragon has become the way to refer to the last place anime, especially if it kept that position for most of the season, in memory of how Chaos Dragon was the first one to do so and how consistent it was in maintaining that position. Even CD's reviewer has taken to using it, not that he thought CD was any good. I haven't seen Urobuchi or any of the others get much flak here for it, aside from warning people to be aware that just because his name is on a show, doesn't mean it will be any good.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:46 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Some of us are keeping CD's memory alive. Over at the thread for the weekly episode rankings, Chaos Dragon has become the way to refer to the last place anime, especially if it kept that position for most of the season, in memory of how Chaos Dragon was the first one to do so and how consistent it was in maintaining that position. Even CD's reviewer has taken to using it, not that he thought CD was any good. I haven't seen Urobuchi or any of the others get much flak here for it, aside from warning people to be aware that just because his name is on a show, doesn't mean it will be any good.

That's true. I do see it mentioned now and then whenever I pop over into those threads. Outside of that amusing little homage, though, nobody really talks about it. Laughing

Nobody's name can make something great automatically, it's all about how involved they actually were. We all know Nasu, Narita, and Uorbuchi weren't really involved in CD outside of creating those basic character profiles.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Kreion wrote:
Rinkwolf wrote:

What is up with all the hate for Charlotte I hear on ANN for it. Everyone I've recommended it too loved it and I really enjoyed it. To the point for re watching it a second time right after finishing it the first go.

I particular enjoyed the direction the last episode took the show and my only gripe with it is that it was not a 2 cour show. I loved what they did with the last episode, but that whole story could have been told in another cour. However, it somehow told the story concisely and competently enough that you got the feeling that it was a whole cour. So, why the hate?

Ugh, Charlotte.

Basically - if you look at it critically the first part of the show does little to lead up to the last part of the show, it's confused as to what kind of series it wants to be. The first half is entirely school life and dealing with powers with (imo) some of the least original comedy I have ever seen played as though it's supposed to be funny. The MC who is supposed to be an asshole never really is one after the start which defeats the point of him being one to begin with. The second half suddenly ups the stakes and makes a certain episode's emotional impact completely pointless. I don't know how you can support the last episode where they rushed an entire arc's content into one and forced two characters together who have little to no chemistry.

Not to mention it just suddenly adds all these characters we are supposed to care about...the pacing is completely off-beat.

It was a mess of a series imo - I don't think I'd ever recommend it to anyone that has a good grasp of storytelling, which is most of the people I know.

There was a show called something like 'where superpowers become everyday' and that did a far better job at basically everything that Charlotte wanted to do. It still fell into the trap of having a bigger plot by the end but it doesn't focus on it and doesn't rush into it. In addition, that anime felt like it was aware of what it was and played off those sterotypes and fiddled with them where appropriate - Charlotte felt like it legitimately thought it's characters were interesting and they are just SO generic and bland.

The show came in one way but went in a whole other direction. You know who else did that, Berserk. The point to a successful story like that is to have merit in what it does and make the shift work as a possibility of the direction the story can go from the beginning but the viewer doesn't consider it because the option is so far out there. However, it not any less valid than any other direction the story could have taken.

What I mean by this is that the direction the story took at the end can be seen as a possible option from the beginning of the show, you just need to have previous knowledge of what the stake really are and not your preconceived notion of what you expect and weight them to be at. That is why a second viewing is in order once you watch it the first time. The ending make sense if you didn't view this as some normal supernatural ability comedy show, which it is not, and all the expectations you have from one such show. It make sense why you would consider it a failure when it fails at something it didn't set out to even do.

But no, the show isn't about some quarky high schoolers that get quarky powers and their quarky lives/shenanigans. The story is about supernatural powers being like a disease and causing serious issues for those that have them, with serious consequence to be had from using them and others having knowledge of your capabilities. Consequences like being tested on till you go insane (MC girl's brother) and losing trust in others because of the treatment she got and the result from her trusting others. If you view her distrust as stereotypical characteristic and a hurdle the MC has to overcome to "conquer" her then yeah it seems shallow, but if you take into account what she has been through, then you see that she stays true to her character too the very end because she still has distrust to of him after he spoiler[time travels] because the previous situations that made her trust him are gone.

Also, the MC being a asshole is make clear to have happened because he didn't have a older brother figure around and is shown what he was like in spoiler[other iterations of the timelines that his brother was privy too]. The point of the MC being a dick was to show that if left unchecked this is the way he could have become. Once he learned of the existence of others and was under some ones supervision with consequences, he started on the path that he was on previously.

Speaking of the 2 MC's chemistry, it's there especially before the spoiler[time travel] but in the end only one MC shares the experience and the other doesn't, that is why there is a bit of disconnection. She still sees him as the selfish guy that only thinks of himself in that spoiler[timeline] and experienced nothing that made their bond in the previous one. While, he still sees her as the person that saved him from his despair and the one that supported him through it all. That is why you might feel that there is little chemistry between them at the end because there is. But, given what was there in the spoiler[previous timeline], then you have to work off the notion that things will work out to the same affect in the new one.

The show makes sense and the direction makes sense. It just that most of the people that have a problem with it say that it doesn't, without really looking at it. Much like how Berserk foreshadowed the sacrificing moment, but you can't say that it was out of place or didn't make sense. Because it did, it's just not he direction you wanted it to go or even considered it could. The same with Charlotte.

The possibility of the direction was always there and makes sense in the narrative but the viewer making light of the stake and coming in with preconceived notions of how things are to play out, giving them tunnel vision and they become blind to the possibilities and just deny them entirely once they are presented to them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2