• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Announces Yuri!! on Ice English Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:17 am Reply with quote
Looking at the characters list, future episodes will be featuring Czech, Kazakh, Chinese, Swiss, AMERICAN, Canadian, Thai, Italian, and Korean skater(s). A lot of accents to work on, just saying. Confused
Sonny Strait

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:21 am Reply with quote
L'Imperatore wrote:
Looking at the characters list, future episodes will be featuring Czech, Kazakh, Chinese, Swiss, AMERICAN, Canadian, Thai, Italian, and Korean skater(s). A lot of accents to work on, just saying. Confused

Oh, I know. But can you imagine the hate mail if they all had American accents? The fans would not let that slide. The real challenge is going to be the American accent. It's going to have to stand out as something uniquely American as opposed to the pure TV American we usually use on most of our characters.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:05 am Reply with quote
Well, since Leo is Mexican-American, that should help (likewise for the apparently French-Canadian Jean-Jacques). Just don't go overboard. I'm sure you've heard enough local people with Spanish flavors in their speech to get it right. I think the key thing to sell the difference between American regional accents and the "neutral" American accent of foreign main characters like Yuuri is in the writing of their speech patterns more than their actual accents (as long as they're not atrocious). Of course, that's a real headache when you add in trying to match lip flaps and maintain a reasonably faithful translation all at once. Smile

Good luck!
peno

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:20 am Reply with quote
I personally could live without accents, but I understand your dilemma on this matter. I want to see, however, how you will differentiate Czech and Russian accents, since many American productions I saw so far treated these two accents the same way.

The biggest bother in this dub for me, however, was that you mispronounced Japanese Yuri's name, or more accurately, you pronounced Japanese and Russian Yuri the same way. That's wrong, however. Japanese Yuri's name is Yuuri, with long Yuu and Japanese version actually differentiate these two pronunciations (though I did notice Japanese version to slip Russian Yuri with the same pronunciation as Japanese Yuuri, but that was rare). Why did you do that? To more drum the "two Yuris joke" to the heads of your viewers? It was unnecessary and uncalled for and I hope you'll fix it in the upcomming episodes, because otherwise, I liked what I saw.
Hatchin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:50 am Reply with quote
I'd missed the recent SimulDub announcements, and hadn't realised Yuri on Ice was going to be one of them. I was a bit worried, as it's such a special and earnest little show that you want it to be represented well in English. I ended up being pleasantly surprised and relieved on a whole with the dub, the localization felt very sincere and thoughtful. I found myself enjoying Josh Grelle's Yuuri and Colleen Clinkenbeard's Minako even more that the original Japanese voice actors, who were also fantastic. Grelle's Yuuri felt very sincere, and Grelle balanced the character's insecurities and quiet confidence really well. I hadn't been expecting the Russian accents for Yuri/Victor/etc, though I understand that you're damned if you do use accents, and damned if you don't. There wasn't a lot of dialogue for either Victor or Yuri in the first episode, so I'm looking forward to hearing more of them speaking in the second episode. I didn't quite know quite what to make of Jerry Jewell's Victor, and was a bit wary throughout. His comedic timing in the episode preview definitely got me a lot more on board with him, which was great. Managing the accent with Victor's more serious side will be harder, but Episodes 2 and 3 are a great opportunity to showcase more of that.

I'm optimistic for the rest of the dubbed episodes to come. Yuri on Ice is such a gem, and it's relief the dub and the localization seem to be handling the show with care.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:54 am Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
Mind speaking for yourself bro? I only mainly watch dubs because I DONT like to read the subs. I want to enjoy the visual beauty of the anime I watch.

Besides that to me it was a good dub, I laughed my ass off. The way you speak about people like me is disrespectfull to say the least.
He was was talking about people who give a free pass to every dub, just because they have been dubbed. Which OK is somewhat understandable if the dub is the only way you are able to view the show. But to not only give a free pass but also praise it, based solely on that, is being biased.

So you are either being offended on behalf of these people, or you are the person being described. And if it's the later, it's not being disrespectful to you, it is fair criticism.
Sonny Strait

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:10 am Reply with quote
Hatchin wrote:
I hadn't been expecting the Russian accents for Yuri/Victor/etc, though I understand that you're damned if you do use accents, and damned if you don't.

Yeah, or damned if you do and really f#$@ed if you don't.

And because of this the whole accent aspect is a wash. We just do the best we can and I make sure they don't get in the way of the emotion. Jerry has no problem conveying any emotion accent or not. Both of those actors (and Grelle too) are going to push me to tears many times before this is over. We're digging deep on this show. I am looking forward to the sobbing.
Sonny Strait

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:20 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Well, since Leo is Mexican-American, that should help (likewise for the apparently French-Canadian Jean-Jacques). Just don't go overboard. I'm sure you've heard enough local people with Spanish flavors in their speech to get it right. I think the key thing to sell the difference between American regional accents and the "neutral" American accent of foreign main characters like Yuuri is in the writing of their speech patterns more than their actual accents (as long as they're not atrocious). Of course, that's a real headache when you add in trying to match lip flaps and maintain a reasonably faithful translation all at once. Smile

Good luck!

Agreed. But as I mentioned I focus more on conveying the emotion. The accent is there for flavoring, but the emotion is the meat. If I have to bend on the accent to get the emotion I will.

Yes, Mexican will be very easy. Most of us here in Texas are either somehow related to Mexicans or at least know several.
Sonny Strait

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:36 am Reply with quote
lazydude500 wrote:

It's also no secret that Sonny Strait often casts fellow ADR directors in his dubs in order to cash in favors later on. Almost everyone at Funimation does it now and then, but he doesn't even try to be subtle.

Hahaha! Well, it's a secret to me! Then why aren't those fuckers casting me? They owe me, damn it! The last lead role I was cast in was Assassination Classroom...that was over 2 years ago and I wasn't even directing then.

Generally the better actors are approached at Funimation to direct. That's all. I certainly don't get any preferential treatment for casting directors. Nor do I expect to. If that's how it worked I'd be kicking Bevin's ass since I have given him several sweet roles and that bastard has never returned the favor. Could you please write to him and tell him how the system is supposed to work?

Wait a minute...you're not the guy that got mad because I didn't cast Jamie in Prison School because you liked her "fappable voice" are you?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:01 am Reply with quote
Sonny Strait wrote:
When you present a dub you are basically giving the viewer a magic ear that can translate language into a language (and accent) similar to their own. So when we dub in America, naturally our anime hero will have an American accent.

I remember in interview with Crispin Freeman about Hellsing where they had tested a Romanian-style accent for Alucard, but ultimately decided on a neutral/American accent for him as the lead character.

Quote:
But SO many factors go into accents. If Russian, what part of Russia are they from? Where did they learn to speak English (or magically translated Japanese as the case may be here). I've travelled a bit and usually local accents are very hard to understand especially in more rural areas. And unless they are international reporters generally their accent will not be understood by a TV audience.

Schwarzenegger was famously rejected for the German redub of Terminator because he has an Austrian accent which to a German audience sounds ridiculous.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Sonny Strait

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:23 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Sonny Strait wrote:
When you present a dub you are basically giving the viewer a magic ear that can translate language into a language (and accent) similar to their own. So when we dub in America, naturally our anime hero will have an American accent.

I remember in interview with Crispin Freeman about Hellsing where they had tested a Romanian-style accent for Alucard, but ultimately decided on a neutral/American accent for him as the lead character.

Quote:
But SO many factors go into accents. If Russian, what part of Russia are they from? Where did they learn to speak English (or magically translated Japanese as the case may be here). I've travelled a bit and usually local accents are very hard to understand especially in more rural areas. And unless they are international reporters generally their accent will not be understood by a TV audience.

Schwarzenegger was famously rejected for the German redub of Terminator because he has an Austrian accent which to a German audience sounds ridiculous.

Yeah, it's a tough decision. As I said I hate using accents. If I thought I could get away with it I probably wouldn't have used them.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:45 am Reply with quote
@Sonny Strait

Y'know, it's really not fair how the Japanese can get away with not using accents, but you guys can't. I don't envy you. Still, I really enjoyed the first episode, so keep up the good work!

Would you consider this your toughest project so far?
Sonny Strait

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
@Sonny Strait

Y'know, it's really not fair how the Japanese can get away with not using accents, but you guys can't. I don't envy you. Still, I really enjoyed the first episode, so keep up the good work!

Would you consider this your toughest project so far?

They can also get away with mispronouncing English but the reverse is certainly not true (at least to the sub only peeps).

It's weird. I hear Japanese using English all the time in the subs and many times it's not quite right or even dead wrong but I have never once thought, "How DARE they! That's not how you pronounce it!"

I mean why would I? To me it would be idiotic to think that way. It's not their first language so, of course, they are going to have trouble with it. That's why I find it strange when fans don't extend the same courtesy to us.

The argument about how we pronounce Japanese names really is a non-starter. It negates itself. I mean if you can honestly say that you don't hear mispronounced English in subs then you'd have a case. But as we all know it happens all the time.

To me it makes no sense to put the Japanese on the highest pedestal and yet expect higher standards from us.

So I just do the best I can with pronunciation and focus on emotion and intent.
StrangeIslands

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Since we do have Sonny Strait's attention for the time being I do have a question in relation to the casting when it comes to the broadcast dubs.

I do understand that the reason for the same group of voice actors being cast over and over again in anime dubs released on DVD/Bluray are due to time restraints/budget and lack of skilled people who can do the job well in terms of acting/emotion as well as matching lip flaps efficiently at the same time so that you're not wasting said time. So when it comes to actually casting broadcast dubs, how much of a deadline do you have to cast the main/recurring characters? Is it shorter than typical dubs and do you often have to cast without auditions?
Sonny Strait

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:50 pm Reply with quote
StrangeIslands wrote:
Since we do have Sonny Strait's attention for the time being I do have a question in relation to the casting when it comes to the broadcast dubs.

I do understand that the reason for the same group of voice actors being cast over and over again in anime dubs released on DVD/Bluray are due to time restraints/budget and lack of skilled people who can do the job well in terms of acting/emotion as well as matching lip flaps efficiently at the same time so that you're not wasting said time. So when it comes to actually casting broadcast dubs, how much of a deadline do you have to cast the main/recurring characters? Is it shorter than typical dubs and do you often have to cast without auditions?

That's a good question. While the broadcast dubs are not perfect I do believe the pros far outweigh the cons. To me the best thing about broadcast dubs is they strike a major blow to piracy. Piracy just about killed the industry, now because of the broadcast dubs we can put them out before the Pirates can.

Generally it takes a week to produce any anime episode. However with broadcast dubs it HAS to take a week. Luckily a broadcast dub is not the final version. We make all kinds of revisions for the DVD version.

As to your question about auditions we can request auditions anytime we want. But you are right there are a limited number of people who are trained to do this. And we know most of them and what they can do. That being said I do like to put people who I think have talent but lack experience whenever I can. Otherwise where are we going to get new actors? On my last show, Servamp I did that with a fairly large character. But I thought the actor had Talent and voice suitable to the role. also I had a pretty small cast so I knew that there would be time to give him to grow as a dub actor. One of the things we are working on though is remote directing. Being able to record somebody who's in LA online while we are in Dallas. That will certainly open up the options and we have had some limited success with that. Also there are more actors moving to Dallas from NY and LA simply because we have more work here.

Broadcast dubs are still in their infancy so there are going to be growing pains but in the end it's going to be a major boost to the industry and give people greater and faster access to the shows they love.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5