• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Hayao Miyazaki Calls AI CG Animation 'An Insult to Life Itself'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:36 pm Reply with quote
LOOK at that horrifying thing. I don't blame him.
diefty

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Ha! Classic good old Miyazaki.
diefty

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:50 pm Reply with quote
That being said i dont disagree, i wouldnt be so extreme about it but i agree with the core concept.
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Lostlorn Forest wrote:
Hayao Miyazaki never said "Anime was a mistake". The creator of the meme confirmed that himself. That's the power of the internet I guess, overly common misattribution.

When someone takes the joke seriously. Laughing
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:37 pm Reply with quote
ANN clickbaiting again. 48 responses already? Good job. Seriously, at least choose a title that isn't misleading.

For anyone who didn't get it: Miyazaki isn't criticizing CGI as a technology (he's presently working on a CGI film himself). He also says that people can use what was presented in the demo for horror games.

You can clearly see that Miyazaki (and Suzuki, too) are from a generation with very strict ideals. You can also see this in anime made at that time, and literature written at that time. Mostly stories that embraced life, with positive messages, albeit sometimes with very tragic moments (watch the WMT anime and you'll know what I mean). That's not what anime is about today – it's more diverse today, but often also very shallow (there are exceptions, of couse). But it's generally more about escapism and simple entertainment today. And that's okay, times have changed, people have changed. People who are working today have not experienced war and can't connect that well with the people who grew up in the 60s, people with ideals and ambitions different from the ideals and ambitions of people who were born 30 or 40 years later. And that's okay. But it's also okay to think differently, to want to uphold those ideals.

Last edited by Blackiris_ on Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:43 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
At this point, it seems like people are just exposing Miyazaki to stuff they know he's going to act grumpily towards to get a reaction.

Yeah, how do you agree with his sentiments while also acting like you want to disagree with them just to tick him off? Mad

Also, Hayao doesn't like zombie animation from survival-horror games. News at 11.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:55 pm Reply with quote
To begin with, I'm not sure what they were hoping to achieve by showing this to Miyazaki. If it was to give him some hope about the future of animation, a subject he's had a thing or two to say on, they picked a really bad example: he advocates making things very human, and manual input at every step, even if it's CG animation. If it's to show someone from the "old guard" what can be done with AI these days so they can see what will be possible in video games, they really ought to have picked someone from the video game industry. If it was to show someone outside of the video game industry what their approach can bring to animation, they should have either picked someone more open to automation to begin with, or made something that would suit the sorts of animation he'd make.

Miyazaki does say that if people want to create something creepy, they can do so; it's just not something that he'd use in his work. Which is fair enough. His comments about it being the end times; humanity losing faith in itself... I think he does kind of have a point, if we're putting so much into having machines create art for us, instead of just creating the art.

Once this kind of technology is a bit further developed, for preference with an eye to making AI-directed movement more natural, rather than just unnatural in a way humans can't come up with, there are some great applications for it. First and most obviously in video games, but potentially all sorts of other things. Miyazaki might be a tad narrow minded in seeing only what it implies for animated films/TV shows, but I can't really blame him, given that's what he's worked on his whole life.

LoriasGS wrote:
Everything I've learnt about Miyazaki is that he's a deeply unpleasant and bitter man and his opinions are not worth anyone's consideration, the only reason people humour them is because of his talent in filmmaking.

The impression I get is that he's someone who believes that humans should be kind, generous, caring and considerate and are perfectly capable of it, but just continue to be arseholes only after their self-interest. The bitterness is because he sees what people can and should be, but aren't.

Parsifal24 wrote:
also seems kind of odd that Miyazaki keeps agreeing to this sort of thing for a guy who supposedly went into semi-retirement.

Miyazaki is the type that just doesn't know what to do with himself if he's not working.
Redlinks

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:57 pm Reply with quote
taishou* wrote:
Redlinks wrote:
He's absolutely right. People are becoming lazy by wanting machines to do work for them instead of appreciating the hard work they put forth into something. CGI animation is an example of how lazy people have gotten. It's sad to see that hand drawn animation is a dying art. Heck, I'm sure if Walt Disney saw what has become of animation today, he'd take action and go back to how cartoons should be, HAND DRAWN.

That's so ignorant it's almost funny. I guess animators should slave away for low wages and terrible hours just to please you? Because that's the state of 2D animation right now.
Nobody's advocating for AI to replace humans in terms of animation. It's more of an experiment to prove something can indeed be done.
Calling it lazy is an insult to people who spend hundreds of hours rigging/coding/modeling for computer animations.

From the video, it sounded like they wanted to replace humans. But seriously dude, it's just an opinion. Calm down. I grew up with hand drawn animation and billions of other people did too. It's just what I'm used to. When I look at Disney's hand drawn films, there's just so much magic in them and I miss that. CGI just doesn't have the same magic that I feel compared to hand drawn. Animated films just aren't what they used to be. Again, that's my opinion. You can either agree or disagree. I don't really care what you choose.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:38 pm Reply with quote
You know, I guess it was my fault for having the slightest bit of faith that maybe at least the people on this site would be any better in terms of actually reading the article and understanding what he meant by this than the typical knee-jerk responses on social networks. Then again, these are the same people who legitimately believe that Miyazaki actually said that anime was a mistake. It's so easy (and typical) for people to throw around the "oh, just a grumpy old man" insult without actually considering the things he's actually saying. The myriad of clickbait titles out there doesn't make this any better. He's not insulting CG animation (why would someone who's currently making a legit CG animated film say such a thing?), he's taking issue with the AI CG process and the lifelessness it represents. He believes it's a step towards removing the humanistic, organic nature of animation, and I agree with him. JennLegacy and Blackiris_'s previous comments explain this a lot better and more rationally.

otagirl wrote:
unimportant schlock

I hope he disappears soon.

Wow. You spout stuff like "I hope he disappears soon" yet you have the gall to call him disgusting? He said it reminded him of a disabled friend in a negative and undesirable way, he wasn't being casual and nonchalant about it, geez, you... ugh. And yeah, you're definitely in the minuscule minority regarding your opinions on his filmography.[/i]
Banjo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Horror stuff are insult to life itself.
Haterater

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Sounds more like robots taking from the human touch. Which can be a concern in general as automation is going to rise in other industries.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:10 pm Reply with quote
This guy is more depressing than Werner Herzog. Herzog knows at least when to tell dick jokes sometimes.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:34 pm Reply with quote
taishou* wrote:
Nobody's advocating for AI to replace humans in terms of animation.

When asked what their goal was, they replied, "we would like to build a machine that can draw pictures like humans do." To me that sounds like replacing them. And as AI develops, it will also mean machines that can create the stories to animate.

Whether AI will ever be capable of stories like humans create, who knows? Assuming it became possible, companies who could afford the computing power would certainly replace humans in the process altogether.

My initial reaction to their answer was, "Why?" People need to create, but if machines can do it more cheaply, humans will no longer be funded to create and our concepts of what is a good story and what looks good on screen will change as the human-created content becomes fringe. It's already changed. And when it happens, otagirl, LoriasGS, AnimeLordLuis, TheAngryOtaku, grouwl and their contemporaries will be the grumpy old farts shaking their fists at the sky.

Brave new world indeed. Smile
Afezeria

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I have to say that some people are definitely not getting at all regarding what Miyazaki was meaning to say and somehow manage to twisted the original translation so much in the meantime. I respected those that do understand, even if my respect wouldn't weighted one bit. His comment might be severely agitating but his words speak the truth. He is a genius that achieved so much in his field of career and I hope he can successfully produce that short he is intending on creating. Not much to say since Jayhosh had spoke it out loud but to end this post, I hope he doesn't disappear anytime soon. He doesn't deserve it unlike of those that wishes so upon him.
dcmc

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:14 am Reply with quote
while im okay with the use of CGI to improve some scenes in anime,i dont like/wants a 100% CGI anime,esspecially on tv series.
im certainly dont wants Ajin/Berserk type anime become the norm in the future.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6