• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Hayao Miyazaki Calls AI CG Animation 'An Insult to Life Itself'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:49 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I doubt when Miyazaki first went into the industry, he was any more talented than the people he is criticising. He's celebrated as a director and writer, I've never heard much about his work as a Key Animator, but the few things I've seen weren't anything spectacle, like the scenes you get from Yutaka Nakamura or Hideaki Anno.

Why can't he be more like Go Nagai, they are both from the same generation, but you never hear Nagai moan about anything.

Because the people in the ANN don't go out trying to find Go Nagai's videos showing him being mad at stuff? I mean, it's obvious that if you record hours of someone talking at some points that someone will say stuff that can be misinterpreted as bitter.

I guess Miyazaki's high popularity thanks to the exceptional quality of his work is what causes people to pay so much attention to him. He is a genius and watching him do stuff in documentaries feels like watching someone of Einstein's caliber.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
OwlBiceps

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:24 pm Reply with quote
That's fucked. Miyazaki is legit a salty old extremely talented guy who has a pedestal to spout his negative opinions. Can it, old fool.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:55 am Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
Of course he's going to react negatively to new technology he's an old man who's stuck in his old ways. Seriously all old people are like this. Rolling Eyes

Apparently I'm not old after all! Smile

I wouldn't be surprised to see inbetweeners largely replaced by AI in my (remaining) lifetime. I'm not talking about morphing, which is a procedure with zero intelligence, but rather a machine that follows the same procedures as any animator is trained to follow. The production typically doesn't want those responsible for interim frames taking their own artistic interpretation of what the key frame animator laid out.

I'm also the type that sees people complain about CGI and either thinks or says, "You're complaining about bad CGI. Most likely you've seen good CGI and never noticed it, thinking it was hand drawn animation".
Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:38 am Reply with quote
I've seen and enjoyed both old Classical hand-drawn Anime and CGI anime (both have good and bad episode/series).

It's all about who doing making the anime and how much the company is investing into making it as good as they can. Anime is struggling to keep up with on-high-demand for instant this and be done 5 minutes ago customers. Not all are like that, but i suspect a lot are.

As bitter as Miyazaki is, he does have a point. The industry has some who don't care and aren't trying to do a great job. Its not form art to perhaps the corporate owners of those anime production houses.

As far as Miyazaki personality goes. I don't care what the artist like, as long results are good. I suspect younger generations who watch anime don't notice the problem and few only care if it looks crappy. Heck, i know some people who are so used to CGI, they think the hand made stuff looks crappy.

Everyone has option. This time i think were seeing the generational line on "what we like and think is good" dividing now.
AkaRed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Miyazaki just shut up old man, you and your ego go into retirement again and just stay mute please.

Evil or Very Mad
Eldritcho

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:02 pm Reply with quote
AkaRed wrote:
Miyazaki just shut up old man, you and your ego go into retirement again and just stay mute please.

Evil or Very Mad

Ok, seriously, how many of you are just bot?

Ya'll sound saltier than Miyazaki.
torchic91

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:54 am Reply with quote
I feel bad for the the people who made this technology, as I do think it has a lot of potential. Showing it to Miyazaki, a Capital-H Humanist, was probably not the best idea for showcasing your creepy animation.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:48 am Reply with quote
torchic91 wrote:
I feel bad for the the people who made this technology, as I do think it has a lot of potential. Showing it to Miyazaki, a Capital-H Humanist, was probably not the best idea for showcasing your creepy animation.

Yeah, you don't show your latest robotic prototype to the director of Nausicaa and writer of Whisper of the Heart and expect a philosophical degree of enthusiasm... Rolling Eyes
SnowCentaur

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:42 am Reply with quote
Sure, Miyazaki can be grumpy sometimes, he does make an excellent point here.

AI experiments can be really cool, like those anonymous blocks that evolve on their own, learn to walk, swim, and so on. But these things are beyond grotesque, and definitely an insult to people with disabilities and, in this form, with this little empathy towards other people, it is an insult towards life itself. These things look like they are desperately trying to live and imitate humans, but lack both the body and soul to do that, they're just a shell.

Japan has a bad history of ignoring and dehumanizing disabled people. Seen in that context, it's hard to be excited about this particular experiment.

And that they want to create an AI that draws? That completely defeats the point of art.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:28 am Reply with quote
That's silly. You may as well argue that all zombies depicted in fiction are "definitely an insult to people with disabilities."

Using machine learning to simulate motion, whether of a lifeless or realistic sort, has nothing to do with denigrating or dehumanizing any group of people.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:31 pm Reply with quote
SnowCentaur wrote:

And that they want to create an AI that draws? That completely defeats the point of art.

I thought it was particularly amusing that that's what the guy followed up with. It almost seemed like he was trying to insult Miyazaki back, or something. Did he seriously think Miyazaki would like something that wants to remove the human element from art? Laughing
Actar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:17 pm Reply with quote
So... I actually watched the video and the they said that the technology could be used to create grotesque, inhuman movements for use with zombie characters. It was supposed to be creepy. In that sense, they should be proud they got that kind of a reaction from Miyazaki.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6