• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yu-Gi-Oh! VRAINS Anime Reveals Story Synopsis

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:32 am Reply with quote
Nothing new I didn't read before.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Judging from her loud hair, I think Ema could be a duelist with considerable prowess...
SpaceTheGamer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Soooo I only got one question. Do they keep the old summoning methods alongside Link summoning like they did in Arc-V or they just going the 5D's and Zexal route- Link summoning master race, Fusion, Synchro, Xyz and Pendulum don't exist anymore?
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The city where network systems are developed: Den City.

Even I will have difficulty accepting this pun!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:54 pm Reply with quote
SpaceTheGamer wrote:
Soooo I only got one question. Do they keep the old summoning methods alongside Link summoning like they did in Arc-V or they just going the 5D's and Zexal route- Link summoning master race, Fusion, Synchro, Xyz and Pendulum don't exist anymore?

I think the earlier summoning methods might be brought up, but only at certain moments...
CycloneJoker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
SpaceTheGamer wrote:

I think the earlier summoning methods might be brought up, but only at certain moments...

If I understand the new TCG rules correctly, then the Extra Deck is going to end up heavily nerfed with the new Link Monsters & Link Zones, or whatever they're called. I can't imagine the other methods will show up often. Maybe Pendulum and the odd Fuson and/or Ritual summon as usual, but besides that, unlikely.
#alfrescoCR

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Its been a while since the last time we got some super OP Mc duelist. But anyways, this looks promising, it was like ACCEL WORLD fuses with yugioh.
1dbad

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:45 pm Reply with quote
With SOL Technology also chasing after the "mysterious AI program", I wonder if they might not be as good as they seem? Seeing Yusaku have to deal with two villain groups at once would be interesting.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:32 pm Reply with quote
CycloneJoker wrote:
If I understand the new TCG rules correctly, then the Extra Deck is going to end up heavily nerfed with the new Link Monsters & Link Zones, or whatever they're called. I can't imagine the other methods will show up often. Maybe Pendulum and the odd Fuson and/or Ritual summon as usual, but besides that, unlikely.

I think the reason for Link Summoning being introduced has to do with reports of One-Turn Kills that resulted from Synchro, XYZ, and Pendulum(?) decks being loaded with several cards that allowed multiple Special Summons to be performed within the same turn.
aaa1e2r3

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
CycloneJoker wrote:

I think the reason for Link Summoning being introduced has to do with reports of One-Turn Kills that resulted from Synchro, XYZ, and Pendulum(?) decks being loaded with several cards that allowed multiple Special Summons to be performed within the same turn.

Pretty much, yeah, In one turn someone could easily summon 2 Shooting Quasar Synchron Dragons in one turn, Burning Abyss in tandem with phantom knights let's you spam summon rank 3 xyz, so on so forth. If it means cutting down on that, then I'm interested. Can't say I'm a big fan of removing two Spell/Trap zones to place the Pendulum Zones in though
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:25 pm Reply with quote
aaa1e2r3 wrote:
Can't say I'm a big fan of removing two Spell/Trap zones to place the Pendulum Zones in though

Actually, you are able to use a Spell or Trap Card in a Pendulum Zone until a Pendulum Card is activated there, or if the Pendulum Card is activated in the zone through a card effect.
1dbad

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I appreciate how Links slow down the game too. I've kept up with this franchise ever since I was a kid, but the scene before Links came around was kind of scary. It's unbelievable how many monsters a player could summon a turn. It was easy to get steamrolled in no time.

No word yet on what all Summonings VRains will include. Arc-V used all the Summoning methods, but after how poorly it did in Japan, they might go back to the focus-on-one-type 5D's/Zexal approach. But I'm guessing we'll at least get a couple of Extra Deck Summons. Showing how Links affect the older summoning types would be a good idea.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:29 am Reply with quote
What's weird is that since April 2008 (when "5DS'" started), each new series has in an April roughly 3 years after the previous series. This new one is delayed by a few weeks.
Souther

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:15 am Reply with quote
I'd like to see Sakurai's character be a villain instead of an Astral-like support for Yusaku.

1dbad wrote:
I appreciate how Links slow down the game too. I've kept up with this franchise ever since I was a kid, but the scene before Links came around was kind of scary. It's unbelievable how many monsters a player could summon a turn. It was easy to get steamrolled in no time.

Link Summoning makes loading up the field with Extra Deck monsters more difficult, but fast, powerful decks that either aren't reliant on the Extra Deck or can adjust around the limitations will not care. And looking at the new cards/decks in Japan currently, there'll probably be strong/generic 2 material (with only back markers) Link Monsters and new archetypes tailormade to (ab)use the Link Mechanic to its fullest.

So while I think Link Monsters will force players to use more resources, take up more space in people's Extra Decks, and of course, push more product, I don't think the game's gonna slow down that much as people get accustomed to Links. Keep in mind you can also use things like tokens as material for Link Monsters unless specified otherwise, so they're more flexible when it comes to their summoning requirements.

The speed's part of the "problem", but it's not the only thing, it's a combination of other things that've snowballed to create the current game.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:07 am Reply with quote
#alfrescoCR wrote:
Its been a while since the last time we got some super OP Mc duelist. But anyways, this looks promising, it was like ACCEL WORLD fuses with yugioh.

All the MC Duelist (including Atemu) were or became OP.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1