• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 'OtaKing' Animator Also Makes 'Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team With More Realism'

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
space Vietnam tank combat

So, basically just a CG version of Armored Trooper Votoms, then? I mean, good for him, but when he's using stuff like this in his advertising:

Quote:
classic cast members Guile and Cammy (with plenty of armed backup) team up with new fan favourite Juri to kill gaming's most iconic end boss

what on Earth is he planning on doing with the money people have given him after Capcom shuts him down? It seems like a remarkable lack of foresight.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, someone never saw VOTOMS.

God I wish someone dubbed that.
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:05 pm Reply with quote
THIS is how 3D animation should be done if it wants to emulate the anime style. Look up his other videos; he traces over 3D models because he thinks he 'can't draw properly'.

Well it looks fantastic. I bet you couldn't even tell the people were CG as well.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:05 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:

what on Earth is he planning on doing with the money people have given him after Capcom shuts him down? It seems like a remarkable lack of foresight.

I wish he would do something original that's not a fanboy project.
The guy obviously has some talent there.

You're right -- he COULD be shutdown just like CBS/Paramount went after the Star Trek: Axanar although that situation was a lot more blatant and I don't think that's the intention here.

Still, I get sick of seeing all these fanfilms based on Star Wars or Star Trek online.
Yeah, we all get that this stuff is popular but more and more based on films that already overshadow everything else is not such a good thing...
I feel the same way about superhero films, too...
Actar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Urgh. He's the guy that made that fansub "documentary" that turned into a poorly veiled opinion piece.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Lord Dcast wrote:
Well it looks fantastic. I bet you couldn't even tell the people were CG as well.

It's pretty easy to tell considering how bad it looks. It moves all floaty and unnatural, and it looks like the heads are disconnected from the bodies like the guy playing pool. It makes Hand Shakers looks amazing.
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Lord Dcast wrote:

It's pretty easy to tell considering how bad it looks. It moves all floaty and unnatural, and it looks like the heads are disconnected from the bodies like the guy playing pool. It makes Hand Shakers looks amazing.

Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:07 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

God I wish someone dubbed that.

If I may fumblingly rush to the artist's defence, Armoured Trooper Votoms is relatively unheard of over here. It was prohibitively expensive to import even when the R1 releases were in print!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BlastoidFromThePastoid

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:52 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

Yeah, someone never saw the video in the article where he explicitly acknowledges VOTOMS and Flag.

Given that his pitch is "Generation Kill with mechs" I think it's fair to say that he'll go for a direction that no one has fully explored yet.

Lord Dcast wrote:
THIS is how 3D animation should be done if it wants to emulate the anime style. Look up his other videos; he traces over 3D models because he thinks he 'can't draw properly'.

Technically he only traces over 3D models for mechanical work, and to get it done faster, the character animation is only referenced from the model and with his experience from Prisoner Zero he can do it wholly from imagination. Shading is done by hand. It's not entirely to my taste though, and I do think he relies too much on CG for a crutch (Perhaps it's because he animates on 16 fps rather than ones, twos, and threes). Anatomy is a real weakness for him.

GeorgeC wrote:
I wish he would do something original that's not a fanboy project.
The guy obviously has some talent there.

...which was why this article was written?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1