• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Kemono Friends Producer Asks Fans Not to Watch Anime Illegally

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:24 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
Is exactly saying the name of an illegal website not part of teh rules (located above the section where you type your comment) stating: "No bootlegs, fansubs, scanlations, etc."? Anyway, since you exactly stated the illegal websites name, I found a new place to watch free anime and not give the creators get any money. Very Happy spoiler[or may be it's part of your plan to get the site terminated?] Anyway,spoiler[Sarcasm because I had to point the lack of common sense.]

You are quite correct and I have made the appropriate corrections.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:27 pm Reply with quote
wastrel wrote:
I must apologize. I already watched it illegally (though not from those fake streaming sites; I don't stream).

I realize, now, that I am unworthy of anything from Kemono Friends due to my horrible transgression. I will not watch it again. I will take the CD with the OP song that I bought and throw it away. The same for my Mewhan's CD with the ED song on it; I'll throw it away too. I've already preordered the soundtrack CD and that nice set of mini clear files from a Japanese retailer, so I don't have them yet, but I'll throw them away when they get here.

I hadn't ordered any of the Nendoroid figures yet, so I'm good there, and I certainly won't get any of the HappyKuji prize figures via Yahoo Japan Auctions either -- I promise. Or any other merchandise associated with the show of any kind whatsoever.

At least not until the BD/DVDs of the show are legally released here in North America. Then and only then will I get any merchandise of the show, which is only fair. Of course, by then all the merchandise will be out of stock and I won't be ABLE to buy any of it -- but that's what you want, right?

The guy was just politely asking people not to watch the show illegally. He wasn't saying anyone was a bad person for doing so. If you didn't see it through the sites he referred to and cared for it enough to get merchandise, I don't think he would have any issue. No one is attacking you, especially not the producer. We're all Friends here, right?
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Quote:
it just allows illegal uploaders to make money through advertisements.

Not if people use adblock.
Not if people use {I know better than to list this site but did so anyways}

Seriously, they are just the absolute worst. NOT ONLY are they making money off of content that isn't there's, NOT ONLY is the video quality miserable and the subtitles unreliable, NOT ONLY are they knowingly posing what is currently the biggest threat to the industry, but on top all that they force you to turn off AdBlock.

Sure, you might be one of those weirdos who doesn't mind seeing ads for miracle foot fungus cures every time you watch anime. But the fact is they make money from every single view. Not the creators, not the actors, not the people distributing it on the Japanese side's behalf. The only people who gain anything are lazy, scum sucking leeches who illegally profit off of other people's hard work.

Oh, also don't lie and say that people go and support the shows later. Some might, but the vast majority do not. And that is exactly why they pose a threat to the industry.

{Edit:} Remove the name of the site as you well know not to list it as the name is the link.~ Psycho 101
wastrel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:23 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
wastrel wrote:
At least not until the BD/DVDs of the show are legally released here in North America.

I assumed while reading this that you were in one of the countries that this show was not available to watch legally.

Kemono Friends is streaming legally on Crunchyroll. You don't have to wait for BD/DVDs.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/kemono-friends

I will be more than happy to subscribe to Crunchyroll once they stop requiring me to infect my computer with Flash. Every once in a while I'll go to their site and try to find a statement, an FAQ, a forum comment, anything, that says they no longer require Flash to see anime and manga on my computer from them. I am still waiting.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:29 pm Reply with quote
I don't blame him for making that post, but seems like it's actions taken "too little, too late". The anime already aired a season ago and those legal websites still showing the series, should have gotten a shout out. "Hey, don't watch <anime> illegally, go here to <insert> to support us!"
wastrel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:42 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:

The guy was just politely asking people not to watch the show illegally. He wasn't saying anyone was a bad person for doing so. If you didn't see it through the sites he referred to and cared for it enough to get merchandise, I don't think he would have any issue. No one is attacking you, especially not the producer. We're all Friends here, right?

I am trying to point out that people don't buy stuff associated with a show unless they've seen the show.

There is more economic activity to be gained from a show than just paying to stream it. Until a few months ago, the fastest internet where I am was 3 MB/s DSL. Streaming anything, even YouTube, was a dream under those conditions. But overnight torrents, though slow, did work.

Almost all merchandise (other than figures) associated with a show comes out while the show is airing in Japan. Other than the big hits, once a show is off the air, the merch isn't available anymore, other than from the resellers of used merch, (which doesn't put a yen in the producers' pockets).

There are indeed people (call them group A) who are going to watch the show without paying, and not buy anything at all. But there are other people like me (call them group B), who will watch the show without paying (just like all the TV viewers in Japan do!), and then if I like the show I'll spend lots on associated merch -- and then when the BD/DVD is licensed here, I'll buy that too!

I'm tried of all these arguments from producers who speak as if only group A exists. I'm tired of being lumped in with those that get called thieves. The message I get all the time is to pay them up front for shows I haven't seen yet, or go the hell away.

I'm getting more convinced to just go the hell away.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:57 pm Reply with quote
He didn't call anyone a thief except maybe those that profit from illegal uploads. His message wasn't "pay me upfront or get out".

The relevant portion:
Quote:
I won't say you have to pay money to be a fan, but please don't use illegal viewing sites at least!

No one is calling you a thief, and you shouldn't be lumped in with them, but this guy isn't. He is just asking people not to patronize sites that make money by illegally uploading content on their site, which you aren't doing.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:58 pm Reply with quote
wastrel wrote:

I will be more than happy to subscribe to Crunchyroll once they stop requiring me to infect my computer with Flash. Every once in a while I'll go to their site and try to find a statement, an FAQ, a forum comment, anything, that says they no longer require Flash to see anime and manga on my computer from them. I am still waiting.

Crunchyroll currently has a Beta HTML5 player. It's an option under the video bar.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:10 pm Reply with quote
wastrel wrote:
I'm tried of all these arguments from producers who speak as if only group A exists. I'm tired of being lumped in with those that get called thieves. The message I get all the time is to pay them up front for shows I haven't seen yet, or go the hell away.

You really shouldn't let the turkeys get to you. You do you.

Every time I hear the industry complain about all the money they're losing out to illegal streaming sites, I think about how much money they're losing from not selling all that production artwork that is usually burned/trashed in Japan. Instead, they're allowing people (and companies like Mandarake) to sell these items instead. Ever seen how much some of the complete cel set-ups from Totoro go for on Mandarake? 25K, if you're lucky. There are several resellers on Yahoo Japan that sell smuggled and dumpster dived artwork as a third party source, and I'm sure that even once the reseller takes their cut, the person who smuggles that artwork out makes a good chunk of change. Yet, instead, let's go after the streaming sites. Even though that hasn't stopped people from watching in the decade or so that sites like Crunchyroll have legally been around, I'm sure it'll eventually work for them Rolling Eyes
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:46 am Reply with quote
Wastrel wrote:
There are indeed people (call them group A) who are going to watch the show without paying, and not buy anything at all. But there are other people like me (call them group B), who will watch the show without paying (just like all the TV viewers in Japan do!), and then if I like the show I'll spend lots on associated merch -- and then when the BD/DVD is licensed here, I'll buy that too!

Something people tend to overlook is these statements are aimed at Japanese viewers, not us. Yes, Japan can watch anime on TV for free,so there's no pushing a 'buy before you view' model. Most anime fans don't buy home releases, which is why he just cares if Japanese fans care watch it on TV or NicoNico. Nothing wrong with that at all. Kemono Friends' success isn't because of us western viewers, so what we do is inconsequential. The statement was in Japanese, not English, afterall.

-Stuart Smith
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:06 am Reply with quote
Just for once, I would like to hear a Japanese creator express their view on the Japanese copyright length being life+70 years. I would think that some have copyright minimalist views and favor the Creative Commons. It would be interesting to read about a Japanese creator who thinks works each version of their works should 40-45 years (my preferred length).
GabbVolo2984

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:52 am Reply with quote
Kemono Friends on Crunchyroll...

(goes there and checks...)

oh darn, it's not available for my country (Philippines)..guess my only choice is buy the DVDs in Japan.

This is why I hate crunchyroll..and it's even promoting itself to our country but not have the same anime lineup as of those in North America due to licensing issues..
wastrel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:28 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

Something people tend to overlook is these statements are aimed at Japanese viewers, not us.

That is a very good point. I have been letting my anger get the best of me, and not just online, of late. I think I need to take a break from things.

Thanks to all who replied.
sputn1k

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:03 am Reply with quote
wastrel wrote:

They have a beta HTML5 player for their Premium+ customers. They also have almost their entire catalog on their sister service VRV, which has an HTML5 player for everyone - though the service is currently still region-locked to the US.
CR also has a Windows 10 UWP app.

Flash isn't nearly as dangerous these days as it used to be, as all current versions of popular browser block the plug-in on all websites unless specifically whitelisted. Unless you think Crunchyroll themselves would infect your PC, if you just whitelist their site, there's no risk in you installing Flash.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:45 am Reply with quote
I just wish they had apps available for Sony and Samsung devices so I don't have to get a Roku or run Cr/F via my phone in order to stream stuff on my TV.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3