• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Is A "Love Hotel?"

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:11 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
I always assumed that this was similar to the way every teenager in every Hollywood romcom somehow has a fake ID that's convincing enough to furnish a 50+ person house party with kegs.

Well, the college I went to had (and still has) a vibrant nightclub and marijuana culture, so fake IDs were absurdly common, to the point that some of these students assumed we all had one and was surprised that I didn't. I'd hear them brought up in conversation as if they were as common as credit cards, even to total strangers.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Love Hotels don´t necessarily have age restrictions (it can be 18) and most work completely without any human contact. Even Patlabor had such a hotel that was entered by just using a credit card.
All this info is just one google search away:
https://loveinnjapan.com/contents/about_love_hotels/guidelines/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kasumicc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:51 pm Reply with quote
I had no idea love hotels were considered to be an intrinsically Japanese thing... They're super common in Latin America Surprised (I'm sure those are not as flamboyant as the Japanese ones, but looking at the article, they still have plenty in common)
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And with all sorts of new gadgets and accessories coming out around this era, the owners tried to make the insides just as memorable, by providing customers with every crazy thing their heart could desire, from a vibrating bed to a fully working miniature merry-go-round.

I would go to a love hotel with a vibrating bed and/or a merry-go-round by myself just for some time away from reality.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:29 pm Reply with quote
D00dleB0Y wrote:
Love hotels cost around $10-30 an hour, it's unfortunately not cheap.

0.o How is $10-$30/hr not cheap?
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:35 pm Reply with quote
I would love to see a hotel that's centered around Pokémon! Smile I would be filled with delight waking up to a sight of a Pikachu roaming nearby.
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Justin wrote:
Some have ridiculous names like Banana & Donut, The Raging Tanuki's Enormous Ballsack (暴れ狸の鬼袋), Daytime Friend, Legend of the Innocent Beaver, and Santa's House.

All but the last of these are understandable from a suitably carnal perspective. One can only assume that Japanese conceptions of Christmas involve a greater sense of private intimacy and a lesser sense of family involvement.

Sexy Santa is nothing new over here. He's the man with the presents who sees you when you're sleeping and knows if you're awake. If you've been a good girl or boy, he'll pull something nice out of his sack and come down your chimney to give it to you.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:03 am Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:

0.o How is $10-$30/hr not cheap?

Looking at it from the perspective of "per day" ($240-$720), it wouldn't be, but of course that isn't their primary function.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:59 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Looking at it from the perspective of "per day" ($240-$720), it wouldn't be, but of course that isn't their primary function.

If you're there for just one night and you just go there for 12 hours, it'd be $120 to $360...which would still be really up there on the high end, but o the low end, if it's near some event, it's not that bad. Vegas hotel stays are way higher than $120 per night.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:44 am Reply with quote
CandisWhite wrote:
Sexy Santa is nothing new over here. He's the man with the presents who sees you when you're sleeping and knows if you're awake. If you've been a good girl or boy, he'll pull something nice out of his sack and come down your chimney to give it to you.

He'll also tell you, "Merry Christmas! Ho, ho, ho." XD
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:23 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
TheAncientOne wrote:

If you're there for just one night and you just go there for 12 hours, it'd be $120 to $360...which would still be really up there on the high end, but o the low end, if it's near some event, it's not that bad. Vegas hotel stays are way higher than $120 per night.

Heck, decent places in my neck of the woods run $100/night+. Across the water in the Big City... try 200+. $120-$360 for overnight isn't so bad.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:49 am Reply with quote
My favorite anime depiction of such a place is definitely that Patlabor OVA where Goto and Nagumo are caught out in a typhoon, and that's the only place they can find to take shelter. The creators were clearly having fun with the ridiculousness of such hotels; I think the police labors had fewer controls than the bed did.

I stayed in a Tokyo business hotel recently, but not in the greatest of neighborhoods. There was a whole streets' worth of love hotels by the tracks, and unfortunately areas like that tend to be rife with yakuza and prostitution.
Baggie_Saiyan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:20 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
I would love to see a hotel that's centered around Pokémon! Smile I would be filled with delight waking up to a sight of a Pikachu roaming nearby.

I think I'd find that more creepy than delightful lol.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:27 am Reply with quote
Often enough, Love Hotels are even cheaper than regular hotels, especially if all ya need is just a place to stay for the night, so if ya wanna save some money........... Laughing

(Actually, it is not uncommon to just use a love hotel by yourself as a place to stay and rest up for a bit. In fact, there's a name for that habit known as okyukei - "rest" or "break".)

Ya could now even use Google View to see what the rooms look like of some Love Hotels.

One of the largest international news agency AFP even aired a video news about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhxENMoW4-w

No hotel receptionist or staff would even see who you are.
Use a machine where ya choose using pictures of the rooms:

Or ya only see the receptionist's hands:

Ya could literally bring anybody to the room with ya, and nobody would be any wiser. Wink

And pick your cosplay Laughing

Reservations in love hotels are usually not accepted - it's normally first come, first serve (heheheh, pun)

Although there are apps like Tonight for Two that allows users to reserve rooms in love hotels - after all, spending too much time walking around searching for a love hotel with a vacancy can put a damper on the mood and/or contribute to your sobering up and realizing that maybe it isn’t a good idea to sleep with your boss’ nubile 19-year-old daughter, no matter how willing she says she is. Cool

MarshalBanana wrote:

↑ I would love to see some Nintendo themed rooms. Peachs Gate House, Zeldas Treasure Box, Links Master Sword, Mario & luigis mushrooms and so on.

Sure, why not - there's already Disney-like theme love hotel

Or why not even Witcher Geralt

Library and book-worm librarians are hot

I don't even Shocked

Oh don't tell me ya never thought about it, ya liar! Razz

While in here too Twisted Evil

Zin5ki wrote:
Justin wrote:

Some have ridiculous names like Banana & Donut, The Raging Tanuki's Enormous Ballsack (暴れ狸の鬼袋), Daytime Friend, Legend of the Innocent Beaver, and Santa's House.

All but the last of these are understandable from a suitably carnal perspective. One can only assume that Japanese conceptions of Christmas involve a greater sense of private intimacy and a lesser sense of family involvement.

Japanese Christmas = Valentine's Day, a time for nookie..................... and KFC Laughing

Zin5ki wrote:
Justin wrote:

If you do attempt this, I really suggest bringing a black light.

Would I be right to assume that lapses in cleanliness are not unheard of within these establishments? I'd imagine that housekeeping is a less regimented affair if tenants are staying on an hourly basis.

Surprisingly enough, Japanese love hotels tend to be clean since they have to do business 4 times a day (rooms can be rent for just a few hours in the morning, afternoon, night, or overnight).

valoon wrote:

How much for one hour tho

LegitPancake wrote:

Do the love hotels put any restrictions on minors renting a room? I think I've seen anime where even middle schoolers were considering going and that just about blew my mind.

If nobody sees ya and ya pay by cash, seems middle-schoolers could do it; high-schoolers could do it; adults could do it................... and guess any combination thereof........ Laughing

Mr. Oshawott wrote:

Ask and ya shall receive

(btw, ya said hotel)
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:31 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Just to get it out of the way, let us never forget that Nintendo (prior to getting into video games) once had its own love hotels. I'm sure the company would prefer if everyone would forget that this happened, but imagine if Nintendo actually still operated one to this day...
]
Maybe that's how they thought of the name "Game Boy"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3