• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Violet Evergarden

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:31 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Joshua Zarate wrote:
yuna49 wrote:
Chiibi wrote:
Also, she's really badass.

I thought she was ridiculously overpowered myself.

--snip--

In general, Violet Evergarden is a fairly realistic show. Thus the portrayal of Violet as an invincible teen-aged killing machine is pretty jarring in context.

I was too distracted by all the badassery to notice her being OP or not....:'D

Some people on other sites are criticizing that the military's attitude towards her "just use her and throw her away later" is "unrealistic" but I argue "Given the time period (representation) and situation, no. I can buy that pretty easily." Humans are still cruel today and they were much crueler hundreds of years ago.
taurussieben

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:26 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Crext wrote:
Anyone even know the legal streaming site for this in Europe? I keep trying to find it on Netflix with no luck.

According to animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-01-11/violet-evergarden-begins-on-netflix-in-some-territories-not-u.s/.126317 Netflix streams it in the UK, but no other European countries are listed.

We here in the US cannot watch it legally either given that Netflix refuses to air series episodes as they appear in Japan. As a Netflix subscriber, I've chosen to adopt other methods to watch this series.

It also streams in Germany.

Beside that, I really loved the episode. As I loved the episodes before. Every week I feel drawn into this little world and the story of Violet, and every time I feel that I watch with my heart. Which totally sounds cheesy, and the story may have weaknesses but overall (if they don't botch it in the second half of the series), it's a beautiful composition, of scenery, animation, music, characters and story.

Last edited by taurussieben on Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:33 am; edited 1 time in total
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:27 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

I was too distracted by all the badassery to notice her being OP or not....:'D

Some people on other sites are criticizing that the military's attitude towards her "just use her and throw her away later" is "unrealistic" but I argue "Given the time period (representation) and situation, no. I can buy that pretty easily." Humans are still cruel today and they were much crueler hundreds of years ago.

That's not what makes it unrealistic though. It's the fact that she's the only child soldier we see and there is no indication of there being others, therefore the fact that she is treated that way is unexplained. This one guy randomly picked her up from the streets and decided she was a mass murder weapon? And why on earth is this random orphan who didn't even know how to speak magically super skilled in combat? it makes no sense. If there had been a comment about the army picking up orphans from the streets to make them into cannon fodder it would've been more believable, but the way this was presented didn't make sense at all with the more grounded setting.

Which, by the way, isn't "hundreds of years ago". This is arguably WWI, so barely a hundred years ago.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:49 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

That's not what makes it unrealistic though. It's the fact that she's the only child soldier we see and there is no indication of there being others, therefore the fact that she is treated that way is unexplained. This one guy randomly picked her up from the streets and decided she was a mass murder weapon? And why on earth is this random orphan who didn't even know how to speak magically super skilled in combat? it makes no sense. If there had been a comment about the army picking up orphans from the streets to make them into cannon fodder it would've been more believable, but the way this was presented didn't make sense at all with the more grounded setting.

Uh....it's not like the anime is over yet? They have plenty of time to explain stuff like that.

Quote:
This is arguably WWI, so barely a hundred years ago.

Is it? I thought this was a fictious world or something.....
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

Quote:
This is arguably WWI, so barely a hundred years ago.

Is it? I thought this was a fictious world or something.....

About as fictitious as Tanya the Evil's not-WWI and Izetta's not-WWII. The countries names are changed, but the setting is definitely intended to evoke that time period.

And the show may not be over yet, but it has about 6 episodes to go. This was a good chance to reveal the full extent of Violet's past, and it doesn't seem like there is any intent of showing us her life before she was randomly picked by some army dude who decided she was gonna be a super soldier and then miraculously it turned out she was. If they were gonna show us about other child soldiers, this episode was the chance to do it, and that chance is now gone.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:26 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't be so hasty to say that. The series doesn't seem to have a problem flip-flopping back and forth.....so we will just have to wait and see.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

This was another strong episode. It was sad but also rewarding to see Violet face her grief head on and seeing her wanting to move forward in a more realistic manner. I only wished these last couple of episodes had been incorporated into the story before she became a great Auto Memories Doll. She should not have been able to understand complex human feelings without dealing and understanding her past first.

Finally, episode 9 looks like a great stopping point that makes me wonder what the last 5 episodes could be about; I hope it is not just empty padding that could hamper its current momentum and in the process ruin the whole show. And I also wonder if this story would have worked better as a two-hour movie. Episodes 1-2, 8-9, some material in between and an epilogue might have made of Violet Evergarden a terrific film.
TymersRealm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:33 am Reply with quote
Wow, did the reviewer loose it with those last couple of paragraphs.
For a series who's focus is the communication through letters, what better way for those close to Violet to get to her than through a letter? It fits thematically and a way to not pressure on her as well. That added act of getting her out to help with those missed deliveries was important too just to show how a letter can help someone.

Yes, the tantrum and 'self-harm' is disturbing. What would expect from someone who, before the events of the series start, was a living weapon? When she finally realizes their overall actions and has had no other way to deal with it? Gawd! In all honesty, that whole scene could of been done for the cheap, but it was wonderfully done and in the end Violet didn't go all the way. That was her turning point.

In all honesty, I would of been happy to see Violet Evergarden to end at this point.
I also feel this is one of the best pieces of anime I've ever seen. Well worth a 5/5.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:58 am Reply with quote
Once again development happens between episodes. None of the story dealt with guilt from action perpetrated in time of war, the topic was only briefly brushed when Hodgin randomly told Violet she was burning and then just... disappeared. And now it's back... for some reason. I guess I should blame the fact that this is all anime original, but it's not like the other anime original story actually dealt with this.

So yeah, apparently Violet is ravaged by guilt from what she did in the war. Something she's never shown any sign of until now. The story would have made far more sense if the problem was that Violet wasn't troubled by guilt (which she clearly isn't, shown by all the 0 time she expressed remorse in any way) and they could have explored the idea whether guilt is necessary (maybe explore it by having Violet reflect on the idea that some people felt about the soldier she killed the same way she feel about the major, or maybe have an episode where Violet write a letter for someone who survived her attack or something). But nah, let's just dump it here. This felt like if the big denouement of a story happened trough a character that has literally never been seen or mentioned before. Hey! What do you know!? That's also literally what happened! Laughing Sure glad the old delivery guy was there, good old... hum... what's his name? Why was he there? Couldn't the young blond kid fill that role just fine?

Still looked very pretty.
Crext

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:23 pm Reply with quote
And we still got 5 episodes to go?! The Major has got to be alive (the leader/bargaining chip of the anti-peace squad?)!

meiam wrote:
So yeah, apparently Violet is ravaged by guilt from what she did in the war. Something she's never shown any sign of until now. The story would have made far more sense if...

Some people react by shutting out their emotions completely after a trauma. Those people can never move on... This is her moving on!
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Well, in case the show goes downhill now, i can still pretend that this was the actual ending...seriously, this would have made a great final episode!

From all we know about Violet (which still isn't much, sadly enough...), this was the first time she's ever experienced the feeling of losing a beloved person. So i don't think it's that much of a stretch that this would make her feel empathy for the people she killed - or the ones grieving for those people - and as a consequence feel remorse for what she's done...what i found a lot more unbelievable is how she didn't bleed to death after losing both arms and zero treatment for quite a bit of time which made me wonder whether she's really some "superhuman android clone" or whatever. Shocked
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:34 pm Reply with quote
A very solid one for Episode 9. I had a feeling that Yasuhiro Takemoto worked on this episode based on certain shots. The self-harming bit definitely had me a little on edge and was handled quite well. Also, the music throughout the episode was astonishing to listen to. Quite a leap for Evan Call to go from Big Order to this. I’m also curious as to what the remaining 5 episodes will be about and I’ll be looking forward to seeing what’s to come for Violet.
FlyGuySempai

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:13 pm Reply with quote
2nd best anime of the Season right here.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Overall I haven't enjoyed this show as much as many others here, but this was a really good episode. I'm not crying, you're crying!
switchgear1131

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:01 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Once again development happens between episodes. None of the story dealt with guilt from action perpetrated in time of war, the topic was only briefly brushed when Hodgin randomly told Violet she was burning and then just... disappeared. And now it's back... for some reason. I guess I should blame the fact that this is all anime original, but it's not like the other anime original story actually dealt with this.

Ah, yeah, what show have you been watching. Violet has spent the better part of two episodes, almost three racked with guilt over what she has done. Hodgins told her she was burning in the very first episode but Violet didn't understand what he meant and he said she would one day. That day is the last two episodes where Violet has finally grown enough to understand what feelings are and to understand the feelings she is having. It started on the train after her last job where she mentions she is burning and continues after she found out Gilbert was dead. The whole first 9 episodes of the show were building to this point. To when Violet could understand with Hodgins meant and have to come to terms with it. The anime original story that is dealing with this is the one we are in the middle.

Also to the reviewer - Violet doesn't live in the Evergarden house. She lives in the post office, since she was rude to the old Evergarden lady in the first episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 14