• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Sword Art Online Producer: Series Sold to Netflix, Will Have Asian Lead Actors

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:
Hopefully, due to cultural boundaries, things like the cousin incest subplot, Asuna's damselization, and the sexual assault scenes get altered.

Um, people NEED to understand that cousins="NOT incest". Especially in Japan, where they can marry.

Incest= mother x son, father x daughter, brother x sister.

That is what incest is, mmkay?

Actually incest is sexual relations between ANY blood relatives. So if they are cousins via blood relation, and not just marriage, yes it is still considered incest. Marriage laws do not change that nor determine what is or is not incest. They only determine in that country/area if such a relation is lawfully considered illegal or not. Just because Japan may allow cousins to marry where the US or other countries do not it does not change the fact such a relation would still be considered incest.

We're also going to stop this off topic line of discussion, or whether or not bro/sis pairings are worse etc., before it goes down the rabbit hole. As it has in the past several times in various SAO topics. Thank you.
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:55 pm Reply with quote
The whole debacle of whitewashing in live action adaptations is another reason why I love anime. Characters for the most part aren't discernible by race, and even if there's stereotypical White characters with blonde hair and giant breasts, you can have Asian characters who look the same, too. No virtual signalers can complain about the lack of their arbitrary "diversity" quotas.

Honestly, a Eurocentric medieval fantasy with Asian characters looks weird, and it's not like Netflix cares.
xerox-guy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I still wonder, why hollywood still making movies or series based on manga and anime? Didn't they learn that it doesn't work at all? The only exception was "Edge Of Tomorrow" which was.. decent. But other than that, it's going to flop.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:32 pm Reply with quote
As expected from Laeta and her digs at GitS continue to amuse. The film´s 3rd act will never stop to bewilder me in how ill conceived it is and i wonder how the film looked like before the 2nd to last crew got kicked out. I sadly can´t see myself caring if she want to properly adapt the SAO franchise, as it´s story and characters utterly suck and this property could work with actors of any ethnicity in my eyes. It frankly should to properly represent the gaming scene. Gender and race bending is also kinda the point of online gaming/avatars and Ready Player One has a fairly memorably twist on it. How exactly are the harem elements supposed to work in life action too? Good luck, i guess.

The bigger news for me here is that Netflix wants to continue working with her, so her Altered Carbon (8/10) will likely get to adapt the remaining 2 books. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
stannisbaratheon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I say, get the director of the Twilight movies to Direct this, they're pretty much the same.
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Random Name wrote:
I'll never understand why people care what race the actors are. Though I don't watch live action adaptations so doesn't effect me either way.

Because Asian actors have a hard enough time getting roles in Hollywood already, even without characters who are canonically Asian getting turned into white people.

Exactly. People who say "the race of the actor doesn't matter, as long as they act well" seem to think that Hollywood is a fare meritocracy. They miss one of the main complaints people have about whitewashing: that actors are rejected because of their race all the time, despite being good actors! Blind casting is unfortunately rare, and most casting directors are looking for white actors and only white actors. If you actually look at what Asian-American and other minority actors have said about their experiences being dismissed and rejected *because* of how they look, you'll come to realize that the problem *isn't* that there are not enough good, talented Asian-American actors, the problem is that they're not offered opportunities for roles.

Now, in this show's case, I got the impression that they might be interested in a truly international cast to expand the scope of the story, which would be awesome. But even if they're planning to only use Americans/Native English speakers for the roles, there's nothing wrong with the screenwriter saying: "these characters were Japanese in the original novel, so Japanese (or Japanese-American) actors should play them in the show". I'm surprised such a simple, basic idea is getting so much pushback. You'd think a black actress was cast to play Hermione in a Harry Potter play every day, the way people think that the best actors always get the good parts (TL;DR Blind casting is good. Specifying minority actors for roles may not be as good, but it's better than the standard "rejecting minority actors and only casting white actors by default").

Surely it would only be awesome if the show is good. I don't care how multicultural you make this, but screw up the basics and all you have is an international mess. That's only part if the problem with the idea of whitewashing. It shifts the focus of importance to some status that does not actually matter. In short, i agree with what Key said earlier, if you modify a story to accomdate a different vision (which all adaptations do), it shouldn't matter what race the characters are - it happens all of the time. Bring a solid story, fix the flaws in source material, find actors that will be good for THAT adaptation. Don't make this about solving some perceived social problem. I don't suspect in Japan many live action shows use a lot of Europeans or Americans, but why should they? Not the right audience. Maybe Edward Elric should have been some white kid with actual blond hair in a western perspective. But it's not discrimination to suggest that may not be the best choice for their immediate audience. Who really cares? At the end of it, was the movie good is ALL that matters. Did the actor sell that portrayal for that adaptation?

I noted some suggest it would be weird to see Japanese actors playing through some medieval fairytale story, but I had to laugh a little. We see that all of the time! If you are at all familiar with stories, literature, and adaptations, you know we see tales like Beauty and the Beast played out across all races and all forms.

Not that I would compare SAO to any classic story arc. Doesn't deserve that. Although I have to confess I am even less interested in what characters races are in a story where the characters take on fake avatars in a game world. Literally doesn't matter at all even in the context of the story!
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:25 pm Reply with quote
xerox-guy wrote:
I still wonder, why hollywood still making movies or series based on manga and anime? Didn't they learn that it doesn't work at all? The only exception was "Edge Of Tomorrow" which was.. decent. But other than that, it's going to flop.
There isn't any reason that it needs to flop since what made SAO popular in the first place could make it popular in a live-action series. The fundamental problem is that Hollywood rarely attempts to understand why the original work was popular.

SAO is a story with a traditional male hero which is something that Hollywood is finding difficult to make in recent years. That Asuna is going to be the savior of the live-action series sounds like they are putting a good amount of western feminism into it. The problem is that feminists would still have no interest in the series and it would undermine the appeal for guys which is why understanding the target demographic for a work is highly important.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Well.. this pretty much confirms my suspicions of this ending horribly.

It isn't a matter of Kirito and Asuna being Asian. It's a matter of Kirito and Asuna being characters in the series.

I was hoping this series was gonna be more of a spinoff with different characters who were unrelated to the main SAO cast. But this news throws that idea out the window. Confused
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:53 pm Reply with quote
They finally get it right and it had to be on such a crap anime.

Ah well, with the source material there's nowhere to go but up.
Niello

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:32 pm Reply with quote
xerox-guy wrote:

I'm not aware there were any previous attempt at adapting anime TV series that actually aired/streamed?
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Compelled to Reply wrote:
The whole debacle of whitewashing in live action adaptations is another reason why I love anime. Characters for the most part aren't discernible by race, and even if there's stereotypical White characters with blonde hair and giant breasts, you can have Asian characters who look the same, too.

You must not watch much anime. White characters are drawn distinctively different from Japanese characters. Race is extremely easy to tell in anime.

It's ironic you're saying keeping Japanese characters as Japanese is virtue signalling, because that's the kind of logic people use when they cite tanned Japanese anime characters as being black. How about both of you people stop trying to project yourselves onto our culture Laughing
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:35 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
True, but completely irrelevant to reality - if Hollywood whitewashes it, then people who'd never have heard about SAO until the press release (or premiere) will come a' howling. This casting decision has nothing to do with the story, and everything to do with avoiding bad publicity from the ignorant activist masses. The story is from Japan, therefore the adaptation must have Japanese actors - whether it makes sense or not.

I thought it was from backlash over what happened with Death Note, with the Netflix people telling the Sword Art Online people to try going for Asian casting to help alleviate those complaints.

Lord Oink wrote:
You should probably wait before you pat them on the back. Specifically citing Kirito and Asuna makes me think the other characters are free to white/black/brownwashing, and there's no way they won't. Hollywood can't help itself. They're addicted.

No, Hollywood goes after wherever the money is. If changing the races and ethnicities of the source material will give them a higher box office, that's what they'll do. It also has very much to do with availability and star power. There are currently very few Asian A-list actors, or even B-list ones, and almost no Japanese-American ones.

This announcement suggests to me they're going to be casting unknowns or relative newcomers to acting, as that's the only feasible way they can do it with the talent pool currently in existence.

Esidici wrote:
Would have been much easier if they just make a spinoff that takes place in the same universe but with a slightly different cast.

A spinoff is incredibly difficult to do, however, especially if you're also going to be introducing people to the franchise who have never heard of it before. The only spinoff TV shows I can think of that caught on outside of the source show's audience are those that came from anthology shows or variety shows.

Zomb1e13 wrote:
Honestly it wouldn't be hard for them to find and use a Japanese actor and actress who can speak english rather than using an american. Its not like they come up with the lines on their own and even if their pronunciation isn't perfect at the time of casting it wouldn't be all that hard to coach them to make them more understandable.

They COULD, theoretically...but it would be a time-consuming and expensive process for relatively little gain (and no doubt a bunch of legal wrangling, as Japanese actors are bound by agencies). There's also the fact that Japanese live-action acting is pretty different, in terms of coaching and directing the actors, than American live-action acting. And if you get some ad-libbing, wich is more common in American TV and film than you might think, it's going to be a disaster.

Jonny Mendes wrote:
Maybe there still hope for Hollywood. Is about time Hollywood people get out of their little Hollywood planet and start to understand what real people in the real world want.

You say that like as if Hollywood wasn't this multibillion dollar industry that's able to afford the best lawyers and buy up other large companies.

Puniyo wrote:
This whole thing is pandering to a vocal minority who will never be pleased no matter what you do.

I don't care either way, it's a losing battle: either you cast well-known Asian actors and people complain they're the wrong kind of Asian, or they end up casting 'accurate' no-name actors that will hurt its success among the normies.

That's a good point, actually. I've noticed some goalpost-moving through Death Note and I'm starting to see it here too, and I've known, for a long time, that what the hardcore fans want will rarely align with what the mainstream wants. I'm sure there were a million things that Harry Potter fans didn't like about the movies, but it's hard to argue they made the wrong decisions with the box office numbers that thet received.

I'd say the wrong move here is to announce all these things so early into production, because all that does is provide fuel for the fans to complain. How do companies like Nintendo and Disney dodge most of this from their fans? They keep everything a secret until release day. The genie is out of the bottle now though, so I'd say the best move is to now keep quiet until near the TV show's debut so there's time for most people to forget about it and move on.

xerox-guy wrote:

In the 80s and 90s, people said the same thing about comic book movies. Now those people making comic book movies are laughing all the way to the bank.

ninjamitsuki wrote:
They finally get it right and it had to be on such a crap anime.

Ah well, with the source material there's nowhere to go but up.

A movie producer I worked with had told me that the best chance of an adaptation or a remake surpassing its source material is if its source material was not all that good to begin with. He really wanted to see someone take a bad-to-mediocre franchise and adapt it to something great, though he didn't have the money to do that himself, and he knew that any attempts to pitch something like that would get rejected by any major studio.

Lord Oink wrote:
You must not watch much anime. White characters are drawn distinctively different from Japanese characters. Race is extremely easy to tell in anime.

Only when you're very used to it, and it's really more about physical and behavioral signifiers in characters designated as white. (And then you have anime like Code Geass or Attack on Titan, where there really isn't any signifiers other than their names and settings.)
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:48 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Jonny Mendes wrote:
Maybe there still hope for Hollywood. Is about time Hollywood people get out of their little Hollywood planet and start to understand what real people in the real world want.

You say that like as if Hollywood wasn't this multibillion dollar industry that's able to afford the best lawyers and buy up other large companies.

I don't know exactly what you mean here... But I can't figure out what Jonny means either. If Hollywood isn't making movies that real people in the real world want, then how exactly is Hollywood raking in megabucks at the box office?
Watanabefan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:04 pm Reply with quote
After Ghost in the Shell went down in flames I don't think anyone wants to attract that amount of controversy again, which is good.

The only way to affect social change in Hollywood is with your wallet.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:09 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
Quote:

I don't know exactly what you mean here... But I can't figure out what Jonny means either. If Hollywood isn't making movies that real people in the real world want, then how exactly is Hollywood raking in megabucks at the box office?

Ah, I realize I wasn't being that clear. Sorry about that. I meant that the major Hollywood studios have the sort of money to do that sort of thing. You have Disney's recent buyout of 20th Century Fox, for instance, which I suspect Disney did solely to be able to use all of the Marvel franchises in movies. And the other point I was attempting to make is that the major Hollywood studios can to do this in the first place because they make movies lots of everyday people would want to pay to watch.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8